“Older version of RI layout, but nice place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
College Station, Texas
“Older version of RI layout, but nice place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great place, very convenient to John Wayne Airport. Its layout is the "version 1" of Residence Inn properties, in separate buildings like apartments, but it's easy to get around the property. When I arrived to check in around 5:00 pm, the room I had reserved had not been cleaned, so they gave me an upgraded room (a "penthouse" room) at no charge. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, and the free shuttle around the area was also nice. This is in addition to all the usual Residence Inn amenities like free daily breakfast and free social hour on Mon-Wed.

It seems that they may be a bit shorthanded on the cleaning staff, since they typically didn't finish cleaning our room until late in the day and there were small evidences that the vacuuming wasn't as thorough as it could have been. Still, it was a great place to stay for our particular trip, and I'll consider it again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so glad you were able to enjoy some of our amenities like the breakfast, social hours, and the shuttle. I will follow up with our housekeeping staff and review our comments and look for ways to improve our service. Thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been staying here four nights a week for the past few weeks. I am on a contracting assignment and am coming in from Orlando, FL, so the bicoastal travel can be hard. The folks at this Residence Inn do everything in their power to make it better and easier for me. They are all very friendly and accommodating, from the front desk down to the ladies that cook the daily breakfast....always a smile. The property is a bit older, so there are a few dings and scratches, but it is VERY, VERY CLEAN and the rooms are comfortable. The location is great, I basically can find only good things to say!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
We are so excited to be your "home away from home" each week. I can only imagine how tough it is to fly back and forth each week from one coast to the other and I am so happy that we are able to make things just a little bit easier for your. We look forward to seeing you each week!

White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Myself as well as several colleagues stay at the Inn from six nights. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms were neat and cleaned promptly on a daily basis. The complimentary breakfast was suitable. Rosa and her daughter who manage same were both a true delight every single day we were there. We used the grill for a group dinner and all went very well. We would all stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a small gym which was great for an early morning work out. The ground floor rooms are much...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are so glad you enjoyed all the amenities we have including the BBQ and pool area. I will pass on your wonderful comments to Rosa and Christina and recognize them for their service and making you feel like you were home. We hope you will stay with us again when visiting the Costa Mesa Area.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel is better than other Residence Inn I've stayed at, has great location, helpful staff, free internet, and good variety of complimentary breakfast. Will stay here again next time I visit Newport Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I really appreciate the positive comments and are so happy to hear that our staff took good care of you. We will look forward to seeing you again soon.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have stayed with our two kids for 9 days. Extremely clean & punctual housekeeping staff (Mexican Housekeeping Neat-Clean Culture). Front desk were extremely informative of the area & very helpful. Location is extremely accessible to next door Dry-Cleaning (including serviced wash & fold), The Vons Supermarket is few minutes away by car as well as the well-known Coast Plaza Upscale Shopping mall. Many options of restaurant are also few minutes away by car and some are one minute walk away.They also serve basic but good breakfast in the morning as part of the stay. Parking is Free & front of your accommodation normally.

The only little issue I had is, since we booked the penthouse which is normally in a second floor, I had to carry the luggage up & down the stairs. Beds also were too soft may need to have relatively firmer mattresses.

I highly recommend this property against The Marriott Coast Villas located in Newport Beach which we also have stayed in towards our vacation end. Big difference from all aspects specially for the value of money, location convenience & housekeeping standards.

Room Tip: If you would need two rooms, and have plenty of luggage, better to book two separate units in the gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Our Penthouse Suites are so great for families with the two bedrooms and bathrooms. Unfortunately, they are located on the second floor of the buildings and you do have to navigate the stairs with your luggage. Next time please let us know and we will have our staff bring all your luggage to the room and also help when you are checking out. I am so happy you were able to enjoy all the local shopping and dining options we have – and there are lots to choose from. We hope that you and your family will come visit us next time you are in the Costa Mesa/Newport Beach area!
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am a business traveler and would stay in 2 properties a week on an average. For the most part, my experience with hotels particularly those rated 3+ stars are excellent. Any issues as long as it doesn't ruin my day I really do not complain. But my stay with the Residence Inn in Costa Mesa is the most remembered and the recovery the front desk has made. Here's why.

I came in late due to flight disruptions so if you can imagine how I look forward to the bed. Second, I was feeling sick so the more I really looking forward to get some rest. But in the middle of the night, 2 people tried to come into my room and woke me up. I immediately yelled suggesting this room is taken and they left. I think the front desk inadvertently resold my room. Since then my sleep was erratic. The following day I was woozy. I called the front desk and told my experience. The lady by the name of Julie immediately apologized, and asked me if it would help if I can stay another night, giving me a complimentary stay. I thought, wow! This lady really was genuine on her offer and she handled the recovery superb that that night I sleep like a bay. The following day, I called for a check out, she recognized me and asked if I was feeling better. And I said yes. I asked if it is ok if their shuttle can take me straight to the car rental place nearby, instead of going to the airport the long way and pick up the shuttle back to the rental place. She ask me how soon I can get ready. The driver took me to the rental and he is wonderful (unfortunately I forgot to asked for his name). But back to Julie, she is simply the best in the service industry. And I can tell after dealing with hotel personnel, she is exceptional!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am so happy to hear how well Julie took care of you and was able to help you enjoy your stay after the issue you had the first night. I will be sure to share your comments with her and the staff and we really appreciate it. We hope we see you next time you are coming to Costa Mesa.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. staff is helpful and nice but this is a very very average residence inn. nothing extraordinary. The rooms did smell a bit which was not the best. smelled like old food....Internet is however free in the rooms

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We appreciate your comments and we will certainly use them to improve as our goal is to provide an extraordinary stay for our guests. We hope to see you again!

Been to Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach? Share your experiences!