“Not exactly what I expect of a Full-Service Marriott in Cali ...” 3 of 5 stars

Weekend getaway from $119
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Monument, CO
“Not exactly what I expect of a Full-Service Marriott in Cali ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just a quick business trip in and decided to stay closer to the airport to take advantage of the shuttle service and not have the hassle of renting a car so I chose this one, not exactly on airport property but close enough. I was a little shocked when it took over 25 minutes to get a shuttle in the middle of the day ... but the driver was nice enough, checked me in and finally got me on my way after telling me there was no concierge lounge and would I mind the 4th floor. I told him no but had no way of knowing that not only was it a lower floor, but I was directly across from the elevator. Yes, you know the drill, even though it's a suite, you can hear the elevator all night long and the airplanes, thank good stop after a certain hour. I went for a quick workout but the space was anything but inviting except the view of the pool out the one window which didn't have any equipment facing outward. There were only a selection of 3 types of cardio vascular equipment, 4 pieces of antiquated weight equipment (one of them broken but no sign on it) and some free weights and 3 fitness balls. I clearly needs some upgrading. Came back later that evening for dinner and the 10 seats at the bar were filled so I took a table and had the flatbread pizza that was recommended but came with burnt edges. On a good note, besides the tv being way too big for the room in the bedroom, the bed was as you would expect, Marriott down filled comforter white and clean ... if only I could have gotten the air conditioner to go down below 65 so I could have used it and enjoyed my much coveted Marriott bedding. In the morning, I called for the shuttle at 9:20 and was told it only left on the top of the hour so I was forced to take a cab back to the airport. That might have been information I would have liked to have had the afternoon before when I was dropped off but none the less, it will definitely make my decision easier next time I am in the area. I am sorry, but this Marriott is definitely not like the ones I love to stay in and I will do my homework a little better before booking Marriott again just based on the full-service even though I am a Gold member.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the elevator and on the pool side of the hotel; might be quieter wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
aspou854, Manager at Costa Mesa Marriott Suites, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I wanted to thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room. Regarding the workout room I wanted to apologize for your experience, but I also wanted you to know that after the summer we will do a major renovation of the exercise room. I hope to see you on your next trip to Costa Mesa!

Audun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Aiken, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Pros: Very Clean, Friendly Staff, Great Location, Good Food, Airport Shuttle
Cons: FEE FOR WIRELESS INTERNET, pay to park, everything is a la cart

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in April of 2013. The hotel is located in Orange County very close to the John Wayne Airport. The room rate was $209 per night, Which included almost nothing.

I paid an additional $13 per 24 hours for Internet access, the second question I was asked after credit card and photo ID was DO YOU HAVE A CAR?, $21 per day for parking.

This is a great hotel with no vlaue. NO, I would not stay here again unless they provide free internet, free parking, and free breakfast....

Breakfast - $18, Parking $21, Internet $ 13 ...Room $209 plus tax...total cost for two day stay $521.....Really?

No a good value....

Room Tip: There are better value hotels in the OC, the Residence Inn in Costa Mesa 1.1 miles away if less with...
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stay at Marriott almost exclusively and this property was average to their standards. The location is in mostly a business park area, not much to do close by. The rooms are suites but they are not very big, unfortunately. Upon arrival we were given a room that overlooked their service area (dumpsters), with the patio doors open we could smell it, so we immediately requested a room change. The next room had a great view of the pool and the man made lake next door but unfortunately we found someone's dirty sock in plain sight and several long, dark hairs in the bathroom. I notified the front desk the next morning but nothing was done to compensate for our less than expected stay. The pool area is decent although the pool itself definitely needed to be cleaned of the leaves and debris that had blown into it.
Overall just an ok stay, I don't think we would choose this property again though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great service! People are so friendly. The rooms are really comfortable and always clean and smelling good.
Breakfast us delicious.
Nice pool and a small , but good fitness center.
My room had a view to the pool and lake and it was beautiful!

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel does not have the feel of a normal hotel located directly next to an airport. It has a much better feel than one of those hotels. Outdoor pool area is great and in a nice quiet area. Also close to the interstate but you can't hear it from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The property is definitely dated and expensive for what it is. That said, the service was typical of a well run Marriott and I slept well despite the old feeling of the property.

The Good:
-Nice, friendly and attentive staff
-Great free breakfast for Marriott Elite members
-Large rooms

The Bad:
-Dated property with a premium price
-Paid parking seemed unnecessary

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife, my son and I stayed for one night at Costa Mesa Marriott Suites on a weekend deal for free wi-fi and parking when the rate was quite affordable. We stayed in room 414, a suite with a view of Anton Blvd and the parking structure. The room was furnished with two very comfortable queen-sized beds and a study with a sofa and desk. The bathroom could be entered from both the study and the bedroom.

Pluses
• Excellent location, walking distance from South Coast Plaza and Segerstrom Hall performing arts center
• Very pleasing clean and neat rooms, nice lobby area, and access to the artificial lake
• Unusually friendly and helpful reception staff who were eager to please at every opportunity
• Lunch facilities in lobby. But we paid a convenience premium to eat in the hotel at 3 pm because the food (fish tacos, fish and chips, and pumpkin bread pudding) and service were good but not very good, and the price was comparatively high. There were other restaurants within walking distance. We ate brunch at the Silver Trumpet in the Wyndham which is a pleasant walk around the artificial lake next to the Marriott.
• They let us check out at 1 pm, and they would have allowed an even later check-out if we had needed it.
• We appreciated that the garage car park was free, and we enjoyed being able to use a trolley to move our bags to the car.

Minus
• Free wi-fi, but we had some newcomer problems: we had to call an IT man to the room in order to learn that we had to commit on-line to pay the wi-fi fee, which is automatically taken off when we pay the bill. Wi-fi was strong and reliable, but re-logging-in is a nuisance.
• The next morning, the maid ignored the “do not disturb” sign and knocked on our door at 9 am to see ask in a friendly way if we were checking out (she didn't need to ask us).

Despite the small minus points, we enjoyed our stay. We feel the Costa Mesa Marriott is a memorably lovely hotel and a very good deal, especially on weekends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 23 in Costa Mesa
4.0 of 5 stars 642 reviews
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Mesa Inn

Been to Costa Mesa Marriott Suites? Share your experiences!