“A sweet surprise. Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3131 S Bristol Street, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (Formerly The Hotel Hanford)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
Santa Monica, California
“A sweet surprise. Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

This hotel is one of the sweetest surprises I imagine anyone could receive this year. This boutique hotel has all of the sophistication and added perks travelers like me enjoy and all of the personal touches of a small-town B&B.

I had to be in Costa Mesa for a week, more or less. No fun, no frills, just work. Similar to most of us, I imagine, all I wanted was a reasonable rate, a clean room and adequate light at a work space that was not swarmed with branded hotel tchotchkes.

This hotel seemed to fit those requirements, but it is vastly more than that.

- The lobby has a very open, welcome feel. The coffee they provide gratis in the lobby every morning is key.

- The rooms are very efficient - I'd call it a Miami Art Deco decor that is very simplistic, but elegant. Nice without being kitschy.

- The huge, comfy bed was a relief. Big fluffy pillows and no synthetic mystery top sheet with who-knows-how-many previous guests' germs.

- Ditto the comments on the shower - the clean, elegant walk-in shower is huge and the large watering can showerhead provided for a very comfortable shower.

- Good-size, high-quality terricloth bath linens made such a difference. Loved the trendy cotton robe they provide.

- Excellent food and wine! I had room service from the Savoy downstairs every night so I could keep working and the salmon, burger, wine selection and everything else are divine.

- The desk was more than enough space and the lighting was excellent - I'm very picky about that - and the electrical outlets for your laptop and mobile are mounted right on the edge of the desk. No diving behind drapes and furniture to find an available outlet.

- The gym is simplistic, but adequate. A couple of cardio machines and free weights with fresh, cool water, ample gym towels and a good, flatscreen TV on the wall so you can use your work-out time to catch up on the world. That's all I needed.

- True, no fridge, no mini-bar, but good food from the Savoy was much more important to me than macadamia nuts and toffee bites.

- The pool looked terrific, not like a careless afterthought, but I did not have time to enjoy it.

And finally, the people were incredible. Brian, Greg, Athena., Tamaeus and Jenn were wonderful. The all knew my name by Day #2 and treated me as if I were a resident. Thanks, Guys!

Don't pass up this hotel if you have occasion to be in the area!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Diego, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

This place was really great. The restaurant has incredible food if you just want to check it out and is actually really well priced. We stayed here on a Living Social deal as well, and had a 2 night stay, which included 2 $50 vouchers to the restaurant. It took 3 meals to use all $100, even having apps and Filet Mignon! But honestly, the best part was the staff. They were so accommodating and friendly. They offer a shuttle to take guests within 5 miles and will come pick you up also. It is such a nice touch and Greg was so helpful-even getting together a list of suggestions for activities for us!
The rooms were spacious and had nice add-ons like the rain shower head with the wand feature, and the sitting area with a pull-out queen. A small fridge would have been really nice, but they did have a safe in the room.
The pool area was very pretty and they had a gym as well. The decor was stunning. Very chic and modern.

Room Tip: Try a call and see what is available!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

My wife and I also found this hotel on Living Social and took advantage of the deal, but it worked like a charm because we will definitely by back to this location. As everyone has said the staff is the best. Very pleasant check in, we requested another robe and it was there in less than 10 minutes. We had a King with a very nice sitting area. The pool area is very nice and clean. Free Parking!! Go over the Freeway to the Westin and you pay $25 a night to park your car! Which on a personal rant, the corporate shmuch who came up with this idea should be shot.
The bed was great, we both slept very well. As for the two comments I've read about no refrigerators or coffee in the room. I do agree, those would be nice touches, at least the coffee, but there is plenty of free coffee in the lobby.
The last comment is on the restaurant. The food was fantastic. We had small plates the first night and the quality was excellent. The next night we had the filet and I don't know what steak the person from Nov 2010 had but ours was tender and tasty. At $18 it's a great deal. The waitress, Athena, was wonderful. The restaurant was almost empty, so if you stay there, please support this place.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable weekend, 60 minutes from home and we really felt we to away.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011 via mobile

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. We stayed there because of the location being so close to the orange county performing arts center. Little did we know that the rooms would be so nice, the food so amazing and the staff so awesome. They went above and beyond to make our weekend in costa Mesa extremely enjoyable and carefree.

• Stayed April 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I arrived after 24 hours travel to a warm welcome. The hotel has been recently renovated, and the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The pool area is lovely and appears to be very child friendly, too.
I had emailed before my arrival to find out if I could arrange some horse back riding during my stay, and Edward was very helpful in locating stables around 30 minutes away. On my arrival, an envelope had been left for me from Joshua, with further details of stables he had gone to the trouble of finding that would allow me to make use of the hotel shuttle for transport. A really nice touch, and very kind of the staff.
I must make mention of the shuttle service, which was invaluable to me. I did not want to hire a car for my short visit, and the shuttle was made available for any trips within a 5 mile distance. Glen in particular was most obliging and terrific conversation. This service is another example of five star hospitality in what at first glance, appears to be an unassuming boutique hotel. Full marks from me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Matt and Cameron greeted us a warm smile and sincere welcome. It was a welcome we needed after a long flight and dealing with rude fellow passengers. The room was spacious and the bed was so comfy it has spoiled me. The entire room was clean. The shower has a rainshower head, in which I didn't want to get out. Which we could have stayed longer. There's free starbucks coffee in the lobby. When the creamer pot was empty, Matt ran and got more without hesitation. They gave us suggestions on where to have breakfast and printed us directions. We usually stay at chain hotels, but will definitley stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We called to check on availability for a night's stay, saw it on Living Social. Matt let us know they had a room, but that the coupon could take up to 48 hours, but they had a room for only $99 with two queen beds! He politely took our information and we received an email confirmation in a matter of minutes! Thanks Matt for the heads up on the coupon!

We got to the Hotel Hanford and were checked in by Jennifer R. She was friendly and professional. She asked about our trip to determine our needs. We were leaving for a Disney Cruise the next day and got directions to the port. She also asked if we had eaten dinner yet, Savory, their restaurant was open until 10 pm. It smelled wonderful, but we had already eaten.

Our room had a really nice bathroom with a rainwater shower-head, 37" flat screen TV, comfy beds, a desk and relaxing chair. I thought the pillows were a bit too firm for my taste, but the rest of the family thought they were "just right". Our daughter loved the round seating area in the lobby with the purple lighting (see photo).

We got up early the next morning and got the complementary Starbucks brewed coffee from the lobby and proceeded to the workout facility. It was great, free weights, resistance weights, treadmills, elliptical machines, towels, water and large TV. Our daughter even took a turn on the the treadmill.

The channels in the workout facility were different from our room and of course our kids wanted to watch Scooby-Doo on Cartoon Network, Cameron helped out getting us to the correct channel.

We took a stroll around the property and saw the business center tucked just beside the front desk, the vending machines were a bit hidden on the first floor, but the pool and hot tub looked awesome! There were cabanas and enough space to really sit and relax. We didn't, it was a bit early and we were headed out to the Port of Los Angeles that morning.

The Hotel Hanford is close to Disneyland, Knotts Berry, the Honda Center, shopping, dining and beautiful California beaches!

Our recommendations: request a room not on the street side, it can get a bit loud if you aren't used to a busy street, rooms with coffee maker and fridge are available upon request (we didn't need them for our stay).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County? Share your experiences!