“Small bathrooms, with comfy beds!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Small bathrooms, with comfy beds!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Honestly I didn't have a great feeling when I learned that my client booked me into a HIE, my previous stay at a Holiday Inn Express, left little to be desired. Upon arriving at the hotel I was created by one of the nicest front desk clerks in the industry. The clerk was so kind that when I walked in the musty smelling room I was very forgiving, and decided to give the air conditioner a chance, which works fine btw, but it is one of the floor units so it takes a wee bit longer to cool off the room but it works! I am staying in a room with a single king size bed, the room is a decent size, and bathroom like in so many hotels these days is small but the water pressure was excellent and there was plenty of hot water, a must for a tired traveler. The king size bed was perfect, I can honestly say that the comfort of the bed makes one very forgiving. As everyone who travels knows, a comfortable bed can make all the difference in the world. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but you can find a variety of them down the street. For the traveler tired of eating out there is a grocery store down the street, the room has a microwave/refrigerator. The hotel is only 6 minutes from the John Wayne Airport which is a major plus in my books (rumor has it they have a shuttle to the airport). I can't review the free breakfast, since I had to leave the hotel early for the conference, the only item offered was a bowl of small muffins which didn't look overly appealing. I would have loved to have had a gooey cinnamon roll as noted on their site. I doubt I would stay here again it is not a pet friendly hotel. Except for business the only reason I normally travel to the Huntington Beach area would be to visit the local dog beach with my pups.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor if you are a light sleeper I would suggest a higher floor away from the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Michelle A,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our beds, room amenities and our staff. It is always motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you. On the other hand, I am sorry if the pet- policy does not work for you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I love the holiday express inns as we don't stay in hotels for the breakfast, but this one is one of our favourites due to the great location. Close to a Starbucks and Newport Beach. The smell is only in the elevators and due to a natural spring. Great rooms and good wifi. Will definitely go back, this was our 2nd visit. Totally recommend. Yummy Mexican restaurant just down the road.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Nice hotel with all the most current Holiday Inn Express features. The carpeting in the hallway are brand new and different than anything I have ever seen in a HI Express. The rooms are all spotless and the beds are comfortable. In the room having the Directv is a great bonus. Had about 120 channels to choose from which put it well above most in room entertainment.
There are a couple downsides however. Parking at this hotel is quite simply a mess. You have two choices, you can parallel park outside or shoehorn your car in the basement garage with spaces that never met a SUV. Anything bigger than a Prius is going to have fun with these. Second in the two times we have stayed here I have never seen more than one person working. This can leave you waiting at the front a while if something comes up.

Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Even number rooms have a view of an apartment next door. And by view I mean you look at the exterio...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here with a group attending a conference nearby. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable, and the breakfast choices were pretty nice: pre-made egg & cheese omelets, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, muffins, and make your own waffles. Just off the 55 freeway south and close to the John Wayne Airport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear joyful1LasVegas,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your stay at our Hotel. We are pleased you did enjoy our clean rooms and comfortable beds and complimentary Express Start Breakfast. We appreciated the time and effort you have taken to inform us of your experience. Guests such as yourself enable us to maintain the high standard of service expected of us. We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nice hotel, typical for the brand. Slightly older structure; but fresh interior/lobby; etc.

Staff was courteous, though I had limited contact with them.

Stayed for business. My room was on 2nd floor, located to the rear of the building. Access was very easy and it was very quiet.

Everything was clean/functional, etc. No issues at all.

Room Tip: Try and request a room to the rear of the building since the hotel is located on a frontage road/int...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I booked this room on business because it was close to John Wayne Airport and not a bad drive to the company I was visiting. The room was great, the bed comfortable and the staff very friendly and courteous. However when I checked out I noticed that I was charged $50 a night more for my 2nd, 3rd and 4th night stay over the booking rate I signed for. I stay exclusively at IHG hotels and book for business purpose at company rates and have never had my rate jacked on me before. I'll have some explaining to do to my company about the charges.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Bryan B,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Ferdinand G.
U.S.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stay in Costa Mesa often for business as it is close to John Wayne Airport (7 minutes). Also close to Newport Beach for nice dinner options in evening.

I've gone back and forth between Holiday Inn Express and Best Western. Best Western has been consistently better, but always like the IHG points. But again this place fell short of Best Western.

The place was clean and updated. House keeping and grounds keeping are impeccable!!

Main reasons for dissatisfaction were 1) the guy working the desk the evening was just not welcoming. Maybe an off night for him (we all have those), but he is my second impression after walking up the building and seeing beautifully maintained grounds/ outside decor!! Just not as good as last time/ not welcoming feeling. 2) all chairs in the room were uncomfortable. The desk chair looked like the $30 desk chair you see at Walmart- cheap, flimsy, not comfy. The main upholstered chair was a 90 degree backed, uncomfortable chair. Maybe great for sitting on in a dining room or in an entry way while you put your shoes on, but nothing you want to sit in to relax and watch TV. 3) was the AC unit kicks out even though the room is still warm. Called the desk and "that guy" at the front desk said its an energy saving thing. I'm all for environmentally friendly, like turn it off when leaving the room for a few hours, I was uncomfortably warm. Also told the guy at the front desk that my window did not open, screen is busted blocking the window from opening at all.

Last time I stayed here it was good, but I had nicer people and more comfy chair.

I'm on the fence about coming back and trying again, or go back to the Best Western again????

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!