“Nice hotel, minor temporary problems” 4 of 5 stars

50 Reasons to Stay
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salinas, California
“Nice hotel, minor temporary problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Great service everywhere. Staff is well trained, polite and helpful. We were here for business with a good rate, $135 which included internet and $5 in and out parking. Not sure if that is a standard rate. I was unable to upgrade as a group had reserved the upgraded rooms. Our first room was on the 2nd floor and overlooked a rooftop and was only a half window, and very high. It was a bit claustrophobic because of the window issue, but a nice room. The first night they didn't have any other rooms but at 1pm the following day, they were able to accommodate us in another room on the 4th floor which had the exact same floor plan as the one we left but a large sunny window and a balcony. The exercise room was very nice.
Temporary problem: pool and jacuzzi were emptied and being repaired. A bit disappointing since that was the only outside area to sit and it was completely closed off. Also there wasn't a gift or sundries shop on site. I think it is being remodeled also. Not a big issue since there is a chevron on the corner for snacks and lots of available eateries.
Best: if you have a car, this has got to be the best and easiest shopping area in the world. Every chain store, department store or eatery is close at hand. If you are relying on the shuttle to deliver you to locations, don't. It goes every 2 hours and not by request. It also picks you up, but probably on the same schedule. Starts at 10 am on the hour.
Note: I had a medical emergency while here and the staff was wonderful. I can't say enough about the staff here. All in all I would stay here again, but if the pool is important be sure to ask if it is back in service.
Oh! A Starbucks on site. Doesn't use the same syrups but my latte was very good.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Yolanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Petalpalz,

Thank you for sharing some great comments about our staff and the service. We are extremely grateful so many recent visitors have truly appreciated our efforts and are excited about the vision of a much improved hotel in the not so distant future! Thank you for realizing this and we do hope you will have the opportunity to see the new "Corner Pantry" ; the gift store, the beautiful ballrooms as well as the new "Tech Lounge". We truly are excited that all the necessary daily amenities are at the guests fingertips while staying at our hotel.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Having a fridge was great but a microwave was needed but not in room. Hotel's location was great, near Newport Beach and freeways. Quiet and clean is what stands out. I would probably stay here again, but a microwave would seal the deal.

Dear Ken O.

Thank you for the 4 Star Review. The location is close to shopping, SNA Airport, restaurants, many of the major corporations have their offices close by too. So whether you are here for pleasure or business we certainly are the great choice. I am thankful you had a great stay and that you enjoyed having your refridgerator in your room. Thank you for sharing your idea and for giving us the opportunity to be better for all our guests.

Temecula, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Everyone we met - from the bellhop and parking crew to all the staff in the restaurants and registration and the ballroom staff - they were so friendly and so helpful with everything. Always smiling too. We felt very welcome.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Yolanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Susan E.B.

The staff and I are so happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay with welcoming service from all departments. Our location is also a plus with being centrally located for shopping at the South Coast Plaza or The Lab, or Newport and Balboa beaches and entertainment at the Segerstrom and great restaurants all around us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know and for staying with us.

Regards,

Chatsworth, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is my 5th year attended a conference at this hotel and it gets better every year. I found the staff very helpful and the rooms clean and comfy.Its close to everything and they have a shuttle that drops you off and picks you up.

Dear Paul L.

I am delighted to see that our service was fantastic and your room was awesome. The free shuttle to South Coast Plaza is a great amenity to enjoy for all our guests. Thank you for having your conference at our hotel and we look forward to your next event. Thank you for taking the time to note our service, rooms and our convenient location.

Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed here one night and really enjoyed it. We flew in late so stayed close to the airport. There is a restaurant in the hotel and you can get food to your room until midnight. Clean and nicely decorated. Parking is $20 a night was the only drawback but I took the shuttle and did not have to park there overnight. I went back in the morning to pick up my rental car.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the freeway side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Yolanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Sailing_Sweetie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I would like to thank you for noting the comfortable accomodations we offer. The complimentary shuttles to the South Coast Plaza and John Wayne Airport are both a great added bonus for our guests. Thank you for your comments about the restaurant located in the lobby level, the Bristol Palms restaurant is delighted to have been of service. The proximity to the mall and to the airport along with the hotel amenities does give great options for a overnight stay or long term stay.

Regards,

Phoenix, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I would highly recommended this place business or vacationing. Great hospitality and services, rooms are clean and executive lounge are the must. They have excellent breakfast, dinner and beverages at the executive lounge, you can relaxed and watch TV in there nice cozy atmosphere overlooking the city view.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Yolanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Karen N.

Thank you for recommending the Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa and for lettingus know you enjoyed great service and hospitality. Our Executive Lounge is a great benefit and they do offer breakfast every morning with several choices each day such as bacon, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and the like. I am delighted to see you enjoyed the view and possibly you saw a few airplanes taking off from the John Wayne Airport too. Thank you again for your recommendation and for your review.

Chandler, Arizona, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

One of the nicest rooms I've experienced. Well decorated, very clean. I had a nice little balcony overlooking the parking garage - not ideal, but I liked the "fresh" air! Their pillows are quite overstuffed so if you like something smaller, I'd recommend that you bring your own.

There is a Starbucks kiosk in the lobby, but service was very slow. There is also a nice restaurant and bar area for meals. Lots of nearby fast food restaurants.This Hilton is 1/2 mile away from the South Coast Plaza shopping mall - a shopper's paradise! Lots of restaurants too! I felt very comfortable walking to the mall, but the hotel does offer a shuttle to there as well

The only complaint I have was the shuttle service from the airport. When I arrived early on a Sunday morning, I called the front desk and was told that the shuttle arrived every 15 minutes. I waited over an hour and then got on the wrong shuttle to the Hilton across the street. When I discovered my error, the Hilton airport driver arranged for my hotel to come pick me up. Another half hour later, I arrived.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear szambal,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to read you had a great stay and that you enjoyed your room with the balcony. Our Starbuck's located in the lobby is a popular spot and they are open daily 5:30 am till 10 p.m. and they do keep busy. I am sorry about the confusion with our complimentary airport shuttle and glad that this was resolved by the shuttle staff.
Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to the next time you visit us at the Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa.

Best regards,

Been to Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!