“Orange County Gem - Orange Juice Pricey!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
50 Reasons to Stay
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
Los Angeles, California
“Orange County Gem - Orange Juice Pricey!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

A friend rented out the starwood suite on the top floor for the night before and the night of her wedding. The suite was stunning and spacious, and offered lots of storage for the groomsmen, the bridesmaid, and the bride and groom. The photographers, make-up & hair crew, and family members also visited before the ceremony to get everyone ready, and it did not feel stuffy at all.
We ordered room service to toast the bride, but room service charged us $8/ glass of orange juice. Um. Hell no! Luckily, the manager understood and offered a more cost-effective plan, but it still dampened the already highly charged mood of the bridal party. Just a quick tip on parking: Valet charges about $8 more per night than self park, but sometimes the $8 is worth it if you're coming back to the hotel late. A friend did this only to find there was almost no parking available.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top two floors are mostly suites and spacious!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear HelloKittyLover0717:

On behalf of the staff, your positive comments of one of our beautiful suites is appreciated. I hope everyone had a great time at the wedding!

The Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa offers Southern California travelers the best choice in location, services, and hotel accommodations in the entire area. Offering everything from proximity to business and entertainment venues to nearby beaches and the Orange County/John Wayne Airport, with many transportation options available to and from the hotel.

Thank you for choosing the Hilton. We look forward to having you back soon.

Rob A. Gauthier

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at the end of January while in Southern California on business. Overall the hotel has a good look and feel to it but there were just a ton of little things that made me not as impressed.

First of all as soon as I walked into my room I was hit with a weird hotel smell that made me super nauseous. The room was a decent size but I felt like I had to turn on 4 lights just to be able to see. One main light switch near the door that activates a major light would be very helpful. There was also a ton of LOUD construction going on above me and to the side of me. I know that in order to renovate rooms these things need to be done but of course when I am working on my laptop inside my room those renovations don't really affect me and only disturb me.

The room did come with a fridge though which was nice and also had a great view with floor to ceiling windows.

I think what I was most turned off by was the fact I had to print one single page for work down at the business center and they make you swipe your credit card to use the computers with a minimum of $3 purchase. I have never seen this in a Hilton hotel at the business center and especially for Hilton Diamond members. 3 bucks is 3 bucks but just the principal alone of paying almost $200 a night to stay here and wanting to print a single page but having to pay for it really upset me.

The parking was about $21 a night I believe but I had no issues in the parking garage or finding a space so no real issues there.

I ate at the hotel restaraunt a couple of nights and they had a decent drink selection but the menu was a little limited but that is to be expected at a hotel. They have a decent gift shop right there in the lobby which allows you to charge to your room which again is also very convienent. The executive lounge was a little tight inside but they had one of the best selctions of food and appetizers that I have seen for a Hilton Executive Lounge.

I plan on coming back to Southern California again for business but I think I would give another hotel a shot before coming back here.

Room Tip: If you are a Hilton Gold/Diamond member and are checking into the hotel the day before then the 7th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MattC:

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments about your January stay. Our guests enjoy the Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa's great location, central to so much in the Costa Mesa, Irvine, Santa Ana, and Newport areas including everything from the area's major business centers to the South Coast Plaza shopping complex, a multitude of entertainment venues, and even nearby beaches.

While we are happy to have impressed you with some things, we are sorry that we were unable to meet all of your expectations. In regards to any noise inconvenience created by the exciting enhancements we are completing here at the hotel, my sincerest apologies. We have made every effort to cushion our guests from any direct contact with the newest changes occurring here at the Hilton, and are disappointed we failed that day.

Once again, thank you for letting us know what we did great;wanting to always be the best, we appreciate your constructive comments which help us improve.

Rob A. Gauthier
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Last minute change in business took me from North of LA down toward Huntington Beach and I booked this Hilton on the airplane with little research...I was happy to find a great property.

The property is well kept, room was comfortable and clean, and all the staff was friendly. I only stayed here for one night so can't provide a very detailed review but pretty much everything was up to standards which seems to be harder and harder to find. As a Diamond Member, it was nice to find this property.

Two things that kept it from a 5 Star Rating was:

They don't offer much in the way of complimentary breakfast. I've stayed at both kinds of Hilton's, compare Hilton in Naples, FL that offers complimentary cooked to order breakfast at Don Shula's restaurant for Diamond Members to this Hilton's offerings of well...not much. On top of that, their "Executive Lounge" seats about 15 people and all the seats were full which left me eating breakfast standing. Why not a bigger lounge? There is no way that is ever sufficient seating.

Second, is the noise. Not the hotels fault but there was a good amount of traffic noise on the side of the building I was on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonCostaMesa, Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear CCTVTrainer,

Thank you for taking the time provide us a review of Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa. On behalf of the staff, it was our great pleasure to be your host during your short trip to Costa Mesa. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests and I'm happy to see that your found our staffs friendly and we were able to meet most of your expectations.

We deeply value your feedback, we will be sharing your feedbacks regarding the Complimentary Breakfast with our Food and Beverage team. Some great news to share is that we are indeed in the process of updating our Executive Lounge, so next time you visit, you will see these wonderful improvements.

Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here Friday night in room 562. The room was nice, view was good, everything was clean, and I was enjoying my stay....until the slight noise started early morning (it wasn't distinct, but in my sleep I could hear that it sounded like construction, but maybe was other guests being loud). THEN 9am came and they were literally pounding right above my bed. It was SO loud. I could understand if work needed to be done, but they should really be checking to make sure that none of their hotel guests would be effected. If I wanted to wake up early, I could've just stayed home. This was supposed to be a nice relaxing morning for my birthday, and instead I was woken up and couldn't go back to sleep. Self parking was an additional $21, and although it is a good location near a variety of restaurants and the mall, my first impression wasn't my lasting impression. We should've had a better experience at a hotel such as this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonCostaMesa, Manager at Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Sugarsht,

Thank you very much for your review of your past stay at Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa. While I'm glad to hear that like the room, location and the cleanliness, we are very sorry that noise was an issue during your stay. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. If you travel again to Costa Mesa, we hope we have the opportunity to show you our improvements.

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Needed a reasonably priced hotel for the night as we were going to the beach the next day. AAA rate $107. Staff very nice and professional. Clean and comfortable. Very reasonable. Just a hop on the freeway and we were at the beach in 15 minutes. I feel we got a really good rate as the hotel seemed crowded with a convention. There is a little snack bar in lobby with Starbucks and fresh pasties and fruit. We got something to go in the morning. Faster than sitting in a restaurant. I would definitely stay again since beach so expensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Debunnie,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa. We're happy to hear that our service and our great amenities made your stay more comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with all of us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Temecula
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed just one night at this beautiful Hilton and would definitely go back. The beds were sooo amazingly comfy. The room was spacious and clean. My only complaint is as a Hilton chain I expected the complimentary breakfast that they are so famous for. I believe it was only available for "executive" levels and higher room rates. Good location, close to freeways and Santa Ana Observatory which is a great little venue for concerts. Friendly staff, valet for $28 or self park @ an additional cost of $21. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Socalgirl41,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. We're glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and found our famous Hilton Bed comfortable. Yes, there is a charge for breakfast, but this is no ordinary continental breakfast you'll find at other hotels. It is a full hot breakfast buffet with items made with the finest ingredients. If you are not a member already, we strongly urge you to sign up for our HHonors loyalty program. It's free to join and you can earn points towards complimentary room nights and member-exclusive privileges at all of the Hilton Family properties.

At Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa, we definitely have plenty to offer and we hope you choose to stay with us again.

Germantown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

If you are picking this for airport convenience then I would suggest not. The shuttle is a passenger mini van that holds 7 people. That's a big problem if you are on an early flight as it only starts running at 5:30, runs every 30 mins and you might find there is not enough space for you to fit.
It's a typical Hilton otherwise. They are doing renovations so should be upgraded soon
Gym is adequate with 6 treadmills (1 was out of order) and has a nice view overlooking the pool
Morning papers limited to USA Today. If you want the WSJ they are looking to charge you.... This was a first for me

• Stayed January 2013
Dear DrNic1,

Thank you for your insight on your recent experience at Hilton Orange County Costa Mesa. We're sorry that our airport shuttle service didn't meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with our Transportation team so that they can review the shuttle schedules for our guests, especially in the morning time when many of our guests depart early.

We appreciate your feedback and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will stay with us soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Director of Front Office

Been to Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!