“The Great Steak Out!” 5 of 5 stars

714-546-7405
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 417 restaurants in Costa Mesa
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bristol
West Covina, California
“The Great Steak Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My buddies & I decided to do a quick comparison ...Morton's , Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, & Mastro's ... dinner at each within a 9 day period so each experience would still be fresh in our memories... what we considered to be the top steak/chop houses in the OC. For me, Mastro's wins! We were consistent - each place had a 20 or 22 oz bone in rib eye, same sides, same wine same pre-dinner cocktail. It can't get much more scientific than that ... to be specific- my steak at Mastro's was tender & very flavorful, but had less fat & silver skin than the other competitors. The Service was the absolute BEST!
- Jerdawg

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
“Not very good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My steak had an awful lot of conective tissue(grissle) running through it for being a prime cut of meat. The creamed corn was pretty bland in spite of the way my girlfriend raved about it. And the atmosphere was a little noisy. Service was excellent otherwise, i just thought the food sucked.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Walnut, California
“Outstanding dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

From the intimate ambiance and attentive service to Mastro’s outstanding dungeness crab cocktail, sea bass prepared in an individualized manner according to the diner’s taste, family portion sides and grand desserts we will continue to look forward to future dining pleasures at Mastros.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Mastro’s rhapsody in beef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Traveling to the West Coast, steak was decidedly my choice for the evening. I googled local steak houses, and discovered Mastro’s. I had never heard of it, which might sound unbelievable to many. It is apparently quite the institution in LA.

I am so glad I institutionalized myself at Mastro’s. The place has incredible beef. My friend an I each enjoyed a filet of buttery tenderness. I do not believe I have ever had a more tender steak.

Hang onto your wallet, though. The place is pricey. I paid $48 for my filet. (They offer a petit filet for $42. But were you to meet me, you’d realize I am anything but petit!)

Mastro’s also boasts an admirable wine list. Again. Pricey. $27 for a glass of the vino of my choice. (There are less expensive choices.) There is also an excellent beer selection.

I chose as a starter the reliable Caesar’s salad. I have one test for restaurants offering the Caesar. Can they drop some actual anchovies atop the salad? If the answer is no, I infer a minimally equipped larder, and assume that the Caesar dressing pours from a bottle. If yes, I get to enjoy the anchovies. (Not to everyone’s taste, but for your own safety, never get between me and those little salty fishes.) And it’s possible that an anchovy-ready eatery concocts its own dressing, sans bottle.

My friend had the house salad. Unbeknownst to us, the salad arrived topped with a large, tasty prawn. That was a pleasant surprise.

I only wish that my appetite had been larger. We skipped Mastro’s renowned lobster mashed potatoes, which are rhapsodized in other reviews on Tripadvisor.com.

Mastro’s is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. Just recognize that you will pay.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Go hungry and take your time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

What a great meal.
This is not the place for watching your calories.
All portions are large so you can easily split meals.
Everything is great quality and well prepared.
We went for an employee's 35 year celebration and we had a great time.
You probably want to allow 2 or 3 hours when you go here. Take your time and enjoy each course.

They have an extensive wine list of mid and high end wines.

This is a high end restaurant that will take care of you but you can easily drop a couple of hundred dollars as a couple.

This place put a pound on us but we are still talking about how good it was. Rated number one for a reason.

Visited November 2013