“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

714-546-7405
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 431 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bristol
Chino Hills, California
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I went here for dinner before hearing the LA Phil perform across the street at the concert hall. We knew that this place would be good from the reviews, but were still blown away by how good it was in person.

My wife and I have been to many fine dining restaurants before, so we had expectations before we dined here. When we pulled up we were greeted by $6 valet service. We walked into a very hip, yet elegant entrance hall. Were seated at a nice table in one of the small dining rooms off of the main corridor. The mood was perfect and the service was friendly and punctual.

My wife and I enjoyed some cocktails; she had the house cosmopolitan with dry ice which made the drink smoke and bubble. We thought it'd be kind of cheesy, but it was actually pretty cool.

We started our meal with an abundant bread basket with some awesome choices, including an excellent pretzel bread. Then we followed that with Caesar salad. Those salads were really big, but were delicious. The croutons were great! Perfect crunch and excellent seasoning.

For the main course I had the bone in ribeye and my wife had the filet. Both were cooked to perfection and all the food came out piping hot!! They must have taken it straight from the grill to the plate to the table. The sides were family style and served table side, but the dishes were left so you could serve yourself another helping as you wished. I had the garlic mash, which were some of the creamiest I've ever had, and my wife had the Brussels sprouts. She said they tasted delicious, had some nice little char from the cooking and were very well seasoned.

Most of the food here is served in its virgin state; no sauces or other toppings. Just well prepared food that lets the natural flavors come out. The steaks needed no additional seasoning, even though salt and pepper are on the table. The natural juices and flavors of the steak took center stage.

We wanted to have dessert, but simply ran out of time. The service was perfectly paced, a little more leisurely than we would have wanted on that night, but perfect for a nice enjoyable meal. You didn't feel rushed, but also not forgotten.

My wife and I are looking forward to coming back here some other time when we don't have additional plans. This way we can enjoy an entire meal from start all the way through dessert.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Excellent steak and seafood as one would expect from a high-end restaurant. . I particularly enjoyed the grilled brussel sprouts.

Visited March 2013
Costa Mesa, California, United States
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Went to dinner at Mastro's last night. The lobster mashed potatoes is the best. I have never seen it on the menu anywhere else but here. Generous portions with huge chunks of lobster. I had the double (7 oz) Australian lobster tails. They were decadent. It is hard these days to find Australian lobster tails as most restaurants in Orange County do not serve it anymore. Mastro's is on the top of the list. The crab stuffed mushrooms are very large and there was chunks of crab in it and not just mashed up meat. The Lobster bisque very delicious. Service was excellent. We had a bottle of Dr L. Reisling which was perfect and not dry at all.
We were celebrating special event and the chocolate cake served was delicious with a huge serving with whip cream on the side. The key lime pie is to die for. The best key lime pie I have ever had. The crust was a thick buttery graham crust. It was worth the price of $9.99 a slice. The portions are nicely sized. The rack of lamb was perfect. Quite a large serving. Had grilled asparagus for a side. It was perfectly thick and nicely grilled. The valet gives out water which is a nice touch. Has their own name Mastro's on it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was good, the restaurant was nicely appointed but it wasn't worth the money. We paid $350 for two steaks, two salads, two sides and one dessert. We both had a glass of wine and that was it. I wish we would have saved a hundred dollars and gone to the Capital Grille where it is less stuffy and the food is too notch. Also the only option for parking is valet but they charge you for it. If there is no other option- it should be complimentary.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara, California
“Such a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My sisters and I sat in the lounge portion for dinner and enjoyed the live music with our meal. Our table shared crab cakes and shrimp cocktail to start. I had the filet for dinner. It was honestly the best steak I have had anywhere. We had the mashed potatoes, sweet potato fries, and sautéed mushrooms as sides. All excellent. Our waitress was very helpful in choosing the perfect glass of wine for this girl who never knows what to ask for. The service was impeccable .Mastro's is an experience. Very expensive, but very worth it. So glad we went.

Visited March 2013