“A budget Motel...close to Newport and the Beaches..!!” 3 of 5 stars

Cozy Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   325 West Bay St, Costa Mesa, CA 92627   |
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa, California
“A budget Motel...close to Newport and the Beaches..!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

For a budget motel, minutes away from Newport and the beaches, I really can't think of too many negative things to say.

No, it's not a fancy hotel...it's a good-old motel. What I probably like the most is that the rooms are large...much larger than present day hotel rooms. Secondly, you can open the door...and windows, and get some FRESH air. That's something you can't do at most multistoried hotels.

It can be argued that the room is fairly spartan, but...it's clean, the bed is (somewhat) good, it has a mini-fridge, a micro wave, a fairly large flat screen TV and the Wi-Fi reception is very good. It also has air-conditioning and a small pool (in the middle of the parking lot) for those hot summer days. And...yes, parking is free.

There's no breakfast, Thank God, as I'm tired of old, stale bagels...!!! For the price you pay to stay at the Cozy Inn there will probably be enough left over for a nice breakfast. We enjoyed breakfast at Paul's on nearby 19th Street in Costa Mesa...minutes away. An early-bird special at $2.99 for two eggs, sausage or bacon and home-fries. You can't beat it....!!!

I'm tempted to give the Cozy Inn 4 stars, but...realistically speaking, it's only an "average" place = 3 stars. If the option was available I would give it a 3-1/2 rating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Juan Capistrano, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Booking.com gives this location a good rating, but it is a terrible place to stay! The rooms are basically clean, but the towels are the size of a hand towel and old and often see through. The building is run down and has significant deferred maintenance. The location is at best ghetto, including homeless and pan handlers.

The worse part is the management! They appear to have little or no management experience, especially the older woman who works in the office, as she is not a nice person. In fact she is mean and makes you feel like she is doing you a favor by letting you stay there.

Room Tip: NONE Do not stay there!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

It was the first Inn / Motel we ever stayed in, in any country and we were a bit anxious / nervous as to what to expect. We normally stay in Hotels but this was even better kitted out than hotels we've stayed in in the past. We were very impressed.

It was clean and tidy throughout - what more could we want. Fridge, microwave, spacious room & bright bathroom, big television, plenty channels to choose from, ironing board, table and chair, big dressing table (with good lighting), free wifi and free parking. Ideal for anyone really. We thought it was very well equipped.

I would come back to this accommodation again and would recommend it a friend. Pleasant stay in my opinion and just what we wanted as we were on a road trip.

Room Tip: We were upstairs which made it difficult to get our suitcases up to the room so I would recommend pa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Breckenridge, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am in Costa Mesa quite often to visit my son.The Cozy was a very nice surprise.A bit older but very clean , good size rooms , quiet , great location and a nice price. Owners were also very friendly JWM

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

For a one night stay this was a good choice. The facility is old in appearance, but makes up for that with a spacious room, clean bathroom, and efficient check-in process. I can tell that motel is investing in the facility, but can improve more by opting for lighter shades of bed sheets and carpet. There are new appliances in the room, and the motel itself is minutes away from restaurants. I could have given it 5 stars, but will wait for them to upgrade the rooms. However, I will not hesitate to stay there again. Overall, it was a good find through tripadvisor's reviews.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Palm Springs, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We only stayed here over night while we were waiting to catch a flight out of the Santa Ana airport. The owners were hospitable when we arrived late and the check-in was flawless. We got to our king sized room which was rather large. I don't know if they have role away beds, but you could easily fit one in here. The room was clean, but had an ant problem in the bathroom. This is a motel, so everything inside was low quality. The bed was the hardest bed I have ever slept on so if you like hard beds, this is for you. The motel was quiet other than the guests above us who moved around a lot all hours of the night. The location was fine, right off of the 55. It was 10 min. to the beach and to the airport. I personally couldn't sleep here again because for me, the bed was way too hard. Otherwise I would.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Cozy Inn several times over the years, most recently in early June. I have to say that - for the price and location - it really can't be beat! The property is a little bit outdated, but generally well-maintained, and the rooms are large and clean with extra amenities including microwave and refrigerator. The pool is small, but totally sufficient. The motel certainly has more charm than a Motel 6 or something else in a comparable price range, and is 10 minute drive from Newport Beach. It's also on a quiet street, and feels fairly secure - unlike some motels on Beach Blvd or Newport Blvd.

I found the proprietors to be very friendly and helpful, and overall I think the Cozy Inn is a great option if you are budget-conscious and want to be near the beach. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cozy Inn? Share your experiences!