“This was easily the worst and shortest hotel stay I have ever had” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Costa Mesa
Sandpiper Motel
1967 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92627-2251   |
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
So.Cal
“This was easily the worst and shortest hotel stay I have ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Well long story short a friend and I booked this room via internet for a friends going away party. First off when we checked in the woman at the front desk seemed to be irritated that we had interrupted her from whatever she was doing , and shortly after that we walked around to our room and were shocked at the smell alone when we first entered. Seriously this place looked like it hadn't been renovated since it had been built. On to the next discovery the was FOOD left in the fridge from the previous guests! not to mention the cigarette burns in the carpet and the rust in the bathroom. The real coup de grâce was after pulling back the bedspread we discovered what looked to be fleas as well as disgusting stains all over both our bed linens. On to the last stage of this epic journey we immediately grabbed our stuff and got the hell out of there and went to the front desk to get our money back , we were met with this "up yours" attitude by the same lovely woman who had checked us in 5 min earlier who refused to give us a refund because we had pulled the sheets back on the beds and then accused us of having sex in the bed . So after she insisted we leave NOW we drove down the street a couple blocks and stayed at the Howard Johnson's which was just perfect the staff the room the location everything. So that's our story hope it helps.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

My experience at Sandpiper was horrific! I got there in the middle of the night. I got into my room and it was freezing. The heater was broken, the window was stuck open about an inch and my curtains were falling off. Finally got a space heater at 7:30am. I asked to change rooms as the one I was in was falling apart...and cold. I was moved to a room that was far worse than the one I'd left. There was a board covering a broken window, it was dirty inside, the headboard was removed (if I'd only known then that bedbugs live in headboards & wood!) and there were patched holes all over the room. I reluctantly went to sleep...the board in the window freaked me out! I woke up a 4am and saw little, tiny, hard-shell things with what seemed like 4 million legs, crawling on my legs (had sweats on) and a couple right in front of my face. It was disgusting!!!! When I looked online under "bugs" and entered their description, they popped up as BEDBUGS! The site said to call the health dept. I opted to get the !#@% out of there!!!!!!

Don't stay at the Sandpiper Motel unless you enjoy having a miserable time.... and creepy, dirty, little bugs that thrive on blood, crawling around in your bed with you at night!!!

P.S. Moved to the Star Inn for the week- LESS EXPENSIVE, GREAT STAFF, MUCH NICER ROOMS & CLEAN--NO BUGS!!!

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
rsm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

The motel was cockroach infested, noisy and dirty.
When I reported to managment their attitude was 'it happens sometimes'.
I have never had such a horrible and disturbing experience staying at a hotel/motel.
I certainly did not expect this for a motel in Costa Mesa!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cockroaches running around
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cardiff,Wales,Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

Well what can i say !? The Sandpiper Motel was the best motel we stayed in on our 18 day holiday !!! The people there were lovly and really friendly, Especially Shaunna and Margie , i mean all Margie wanted was to give me towels and we ended up talking for around 3-4 hours ! And shunna was amazing because when me and the family got back at around 9 or 10 i would go straight to the office and chat and would leave untill around 4 am !

So overall this is THE PLACE to stay while in costa mesa !

Andreas

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — When my cousin blocked the toilet !
  • Tips/Secrets — Go Here !
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandpiper Motel? Share your experiences!