You added Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach to your Saves list
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

I loved this hotel. The shuttle picked me up within ten minutes of calling them from John Wayne Airport. The driver was very courteous and helpful with restaurant suggestions. Shuttle was waiting for me in the morning to take me back to the airport at exactly the time I asked for.

The front desk clerk was friendly and made no mention of my room being booked on a discount website.

I was told the hotel was full but I never heard a single noise from other guests. I did hear airplanes but they were not a problem. I hear them louder at my home.

My room was huge and spotless. Very nicely decorated. The bedding was very comfortable. The bathroom was big and luxurious. Had a hair dryer and night light. Soft towels. The coffee was good too.

There are free computers in the business center with high speed internet and one in the lobby where you can print your boarding passes.

I ate dinner at their restaurant and my Monte Cristo sandwich was excellent. I wasn't as impressed by the breakfast selections but did enjoy eating by the fountain in their courtyard. If I remember correctly there were items I'm allergic to in some of the dishes so that is why I didn't eat much at the free breakfast. Most people would probably think it was great.

I wish this hotel was where I regularly travel. I was only there a night because of delays that caused me to miss my connection home. I slept like a baby and was so happy with this stay after having spent most of the previous week in the lousy Atlanta Airport Hilton.

• Liked — Very quiet and very comfortable
  • Disliked — that I don't get to stay there often!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Santa Clarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I had to go to Costa Mesa for a weekend event with my company. I saw the Ayers on-line and booked a room for 2 days (Fri-Sat). Wow - it was better than I could imagine. For the small price I had a great large room. The room was nicely decorated (tatefully). There was also TV w/HBO - a refrigerator and a shower with separate dressing area. In the courtyard was a lovely water fountain and statues with tables and chairs (reminded me of when I was in Rome, Italy). eating out. I had dinner by the fountain with a friend as they also have a restauratn. They gave free breakfast with the room - ham, eggs, oatmeal, etc. I would even consider coming back for a romantic weekend. What a lovely "oasis" in this community. Also there was much "history" on the walls showing boats and early LA photos - also done very tastefully. My small room price on-line turned into a BONUS weekend for me. Must also say the staff were all friendly and helpful - Aleda from Santa Clarita

• Liked — The lovely Patio experience for dinner
  • Disliked — One way road access
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel four times in the past four years, and it is very charming. Breakfast buffet, cookies, apples, decor - nice little touches. Until this last stay we never had any sort of problem.

This last stay, however, we encountered a problem and I'm afraid we have seen 'the other side' of the coin.

We were awoken around 12:30am by the loudest noise coming from inside the wall - my husband said it was definitely a main plumbing pipe that had not been insulated. It sounded like a freight train and woke us up out of a dead sleep. It continued for almost an hour - an employee was called and came up to our room, and he even commented on how incredibly loud it was. We wanted to move immediately but were told the hotel was completely full and no other rooms were available. I had to be up the next morning at 6am.

The following morning I had to be up very early so my husband moved us to another room (I guess someone checked out early?) and he informed the front desk of the problem we had - we felt a small disount or credit voucher for a future stay was appropriate. Nada. We didn't even get an apology. Just sort of a blank stare and silence.

After I got home, I realized a cell phone charger had been mistakenly left plugged in to the wall and I called to see if it was found. Luckily it was, but I was told by the head of housekeeping that it would be $10 shipping fee to have it sent to me. I had to complain - again - this time to the hotel manager. I told her the whole story again, just in case somehow she had not heard about it. I still did not get any sort of apology, credit or discount for the problem and inconvenience with our room.

Atleast they waived the $10 shipping charge.

I left the hotel with a bad overal impression. It may be cute and charming, but I doubt I'll return. It really is all about customer service.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My 2 year old daughter and I stayed here 9 weeks total, while my husband was on business. All together, this hotel was awful! It is very business-like, but not kid or family friendly. The staff treated my daughter horribly with hardly any smiles and for a 9 week stay, that gets to be really discouraging! The pools are designed horribly..one right in the middle of the courtyard so that everyone can see you and hear you. We specifically asked for rooms not next to construction and 3 weeks were put there anyway...and the noise was very loud and disturbing. We carried a lot of stuff and 2x as well they had no bell hop on duty right before check out time to help us with bags, so my toddler and I had to do it all by ourselves! For the price, if you have a family, just go somewhere else that is not meant for business travelers, as this hotel is so strongly gearded towards that with the airport across the road. The good things...it is clean, the housekeeping is nice, and the air conditioning works great in the rooms.

• Liked — The room has good air conditioning and good black out curtains for naptime
  • Disliked — The staff was unfriendly and the hotel not designed for children...I saw about 5 kids the whole time we were there!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Corvallis, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I would not recommend staying here. First of all, it is in the airport's flight path, so the noise during the day is ridiculous. At night the noise is tolerable. Unfortunately, the second night we were there the hotel was hosting a 10 yr high school reunion. There was no parking because of this. The 'kids' (they should have known better!) were noisy, running around the hotel until all hours of the night. Hotel security was inadequate to keep them from doing so, although I do believe they were trying their best. The complimentary breakfast was barely passable. This property has potential, but would not stay here again even if they paid me!

• Liked — clean rooms, well appointed
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed at this hotel because we enjoyed our stay at the Ayres Hotel in Seal Beach. The hotel was clean and in a great location for access to the freeway. The breakfast buffet was super and the free access to the internet in the business centre was a bonus !
The room was spacious and comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

I expected so little of this hotel based on the prior reviews, and based on the fact that it was booked through Hotwire.

But I was surprised to find when I got there that:

1) The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I think on the whole, this staff was more customer service oriented than I've experienced in a long time.

2) The rooms were very nice and the beds were very very comfortable! It was the first time in over a year that I've stayed in a hotel and not woken up with an aching back.

3) The hotel amenities were totally sufficient for this class of hotel. a nice pool and hottub, a pretty paltry workout room but good enough to get the job done, nice restaurant, lobby and meeting areas, and very nice rooms with good bathrooms.

4) The breakfast buffet was no joke! It had tons of selections and something for everyone... it was a very very nice buffet and a nice touch.

5) Free drinks and snacks in the evening.

6) Rooms had windows that opened and an empty fridge so I could put things in it.

I was totally delighted with this hotel, and usually stay at the nearby Hilton which ends up being so expensive because of the $14 a night parking and $10 a night internet access. All was included at the Ayres Suites. I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

My one complaint is that the rooms smelled bleachy but since the windows opened, I could air the room out. Yes, you could hear some ambient airplane noise, but it wasn't too bad with the windows closed.

All in all, a great hotel!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!