“Nice spot but thin walls and lots of noise on Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Comfortable, clean.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marin Suites Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marin Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Marin Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA 94925   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Corte Madera
Folsom, California (USA)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I agree with most of the other reviewers but we had a nice 3-day stay anyway. Nice pool area, outdoor lounge. Spacious suites, nicely done. Convenient walking distance to good dining and shopping. Handy location.

• Stayed June 2014
Matthew A, Director of Sales at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for agreeing with most of the other reviewers and that you had a nice 3-day stay. We appreciate you feel we have a nice pool area, outdoor lounge. Spacious suites, nicely done. Convenient walking distance to good dining and shopping. Handy location.

Regarding the walls we are looking into some solutions this winter when it is slower to absorb the sound. We are not 100%, but your feedback helps.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

First, you can not pull out in front and check in. In fact, I had a really hard time figuring out where to go. I ended up pulling around the parking lot twice before securing the very last spot available way in the back of the property. Lugged all my bags through the property up and down multiple sets of stairs to the lobby which was of course closed. It was 11:30 at night and all I wanted was to go to sleep. After banging on the doors for a while someone pointed out the phone on the wall. I picked it up and it rang through to someone who buzzed me in and met me at the desk inside the lobby. Not before lugging my bags down the stairs (again) to get there. Room 422, okay. Take the elevator. Okay. Up the stairs with my luggage and out the door that slams and locks behind you to the elevator to see floors one and two. Back out to the phone to get buzzed in and down the steps to the desk to ask... um where is my room? Floor 2 room 422. Got it. Up the steps and out the door which slams shut and locks behind you. To the elevator, up to my room. All doors lead to the outside. Ugh, not sure I can sleep. But then I can't because the fire alarm goes off and everyone, at least in my building, vacates and waits for it to stop. Everyone back in and settled and then the fire alarm goes off again. I do realize that the property can do nothing about this but this gives you an idea of the severe beat down that I received by choosing this less expensive alternative.
The next morning and even that night, it was evident that many business people were using this as an inexpensive long term stay. Many seemed to know each other. Lots of camaraderie. Later that morning at breakfast, I noticed lots of families headed to SF and sightseeing for the day. All seemed to be happy to have found an expensive alternative to the high prices of hotels in the city. I can see how this could be an attractive option to either of these groups but as a single woman, traveling alone and arriving at night, it was just too difficult. And the beat-down, for lack of a better terms will not be forgotten. I checked out and checked into the Marriott Courtyard in Larkspur and it was the best money ever spent!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for giving us your feedback. When it come to feeling safe and secure, nothing is more important to us to correct that discomfort. We realize a lot of individuals travel alone and have late check in do to many factors.

We have met with our evening staff and have made a point to have them more aware of our late check ins and be looking for them. We will continue to work on better communication regarding parking. You can park in our white zone which is in front of the hotel. When it come to parking we realize although it is well lighted, it can be a little walk when we are full.

Many of our guest do know each to know each other through our corporate housing, frequent business travelers and families who visit us often. Yes, we do have lots of camaraderie. We feel that it makes us different for the guest experience compared to other hotels.

Thank you for mentioning that a lot of families were headed to SF and sightseeing for the day. We really are so close to so much.

Again, appreciate you taking the time writing your review.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Seriously stay elsewhere. The room is dated. The room had previous guests dirt left behind. The sheets and blankets are circa 1990. The towels about the same. The fitness room is disgusting with junk that does not work. If you want to walk barefoot on the carpet or relax this is not the place! Convenient to Muir Woods is the only good thing. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Marriott Courtyard instead.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We hope you are not serious about staying elsewhere. Compared to some hotels in the area the hotel is older than a few. We do keep the building updated and recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation.

Regarding having your room with dirt left behind. We wish you had called down to our front desk. We would had someone come up immediately to clean it or give you another room.We check sheets, blankets and towels. We apologize that you feel different.

Thank you for your support on how convenient to Muir Woods and so many other locations.

We respect your and opinion and appreciate that you took the time to write a review.
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I just left this hotel today. The parking lot spots are extremely narrow and i guarantee your car will be dinged or dented. The exterior appearance is average.

The rooms and layout are fine and the bathrooms are nice. The pool, spa, breakfast was all fine. Pretty average but no complaints. The bed wasnt very comfortable. Having a kitchen is nice if one is looking to save some money.

Location was great for my business trip. Theres an excellent gym less than a half mile away and a mall with good restaurants close by as well.

All of this however means nothing because this hotel does not have air conditioning. I never thought a hotel could even exist without AC. The rooms are like saunas. You will not sleep due to the heat. They have a ceiling fan in the room that does nothing to cool things off. They also have a ridiculous heavy in room fan hidden in the closet.

I will never stay here again and encourage everyone to avoid at all costs unless you are the type of person that enjoys sleeping in a sauna. Had it not been for this horrific misrepresentation of being a hotel i wouldve given a higher rating.

AVOID THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. You are correct wider parking spots would be nice.It is not made for large pick up and SUV's and we get more than our fair share like anywhere. It does become a challenge with space as each space can become more narrow. Unfortunately we of allotment of parking spots and want to make sure that every guest has a spot to park.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and it's not uncommon in our area do to the mild climate. We are not trying o hide the fan in the closet. We just believe that is the best place to keep for our guest. In fact we have added a evaporative cooler that is also stored in the closet. On exceptional hot days we now turn on so when you arrive your room will be cool. It's not air conditioning, but we are working to make all of our guest have a comfortable stay.

We appreciate that you write that the rooms and layout are fine and the bathrooms are nice. The pool, spa, breakfast was all fine. You like having a kitchen to save some money.

Thanks for the support on our location that it was great for your business trip and that there are couple of gyms less than a half mile away and a mall with good restaurants. We continue to make changes so your stay will be more enjoyable.
Nashua, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed with my husband and 3yr old in early June. The pool and spa were great. We don't require a lot of service or anything like that so I can't say how that is, but when I stayed last yr. with my 2yr old and arrived late at night they took my luggage to my room for me. There are a lot of stairs and the walkways can be noisy but we still slept fine. the economy room I had the first time was noisier because the bedroom wasn't separate. We like the location to family in area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We agree that we are a family location in area and it's nice to read that you come to stay with us every year.

We will continue to make changes to improve your experience.

We look forward to seeing you next year.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was shocked to arrive at this hotel and find no air conditioning. That day it was 88 degrees in Corte Madera. Not ideal! I called the staff and they were apologetic, but I suggested they should put this information on their website. I was alone, but families traveling together with little kids might struggle with this.

I wasn't a huge fan of the outdoor access either; it was hard to tell that from the website photos. I didn't feel very safe. It's very open and anyone can wander in from outside into the hotel area, and the walls are thin. Due to no A/C, the windows are typically left open. It wasn't my favorite hotel and I won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We apologize that you had to experience such a day when it was 88 degrees in Corte Madera. It is not ideal and very uncommon. We appreciate that our staff were apologetic. We have since made sure that every room is provided with an evaporative cooler. On special hot days we are actually running the cooler before check in to make the room a lot more comfortable.

It's unfortunate that you did not feel safe with the outdoor access. We have security cameras and staff walking the grounds. This extremely important that all of our guest feel secure and safe. We are working on enhancing the lighting in garden courtyard since we have read your review.

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

AFTER TWO WEEKS OF STAY, HERE'S MY REVIEW:
(don't be fooled by pics)

Pros: distance to where my project was in Marin

CONS:
1. UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF - her name is JESSICA - SHOCKING CHARGES showed up on my bank statement. Found out later on, it was her mistakenly refunded 1 night and later on showed up as charges. I know I paid the room in full when checking in, so when there's charges showed up later on I was shock. (I am in the process of settling this issue as I am writing this)
Also, she was the one checked me in and argue when I mentioned that I was promised a room downstairs instead of upstairs for my 2nd stay at Marin Suites hotel. My 1st stay was late in May 2016, I didn't like the room at all.
But, because it was late check in, I just had to put up with the same room upstairs that I didn't like the first time.
I stayed 7 nights the first stay and 6 nights the second time. Both are not pleasant - Just like Motel 6.

2. Cleanliness of the room - OLD FOOD LEFT IN THE FRIDGE
My experience of the 2nd time staying there was food was in the fridge. So I called Front Desk and Jessica - predictably handling this issue in a very RUDE and DEFENSIVE WAY and I had to tell her that even though it's not her fault, it's front desk's job to at least apologize for the food left like that in the fridge.
LATER ON I FOUND AN OLD SHIRT UNDER THE BED SKIRT.
From then on I thought I would never ever stay here again - this is just like Motel 6.

3. NOISE - you could hear the TV next room or above you or people outside talking. You could clearly hear their conversations. Just like when you stay at Motel 6.

4. NARROW WALKWAY - just like Motel 6.

5. WATER PRESSURE IN THE SHOWER - just like Motel 6, prickling water, barely reach your leg when showering.
ON TOP OF THAT, WHEN NEXT ROOM PEOPLE USING THE SHOWER OR FLUSH THE TOILET, WHILE YOU WERE SHOWERING, IT WILL MAKE THE WATER SUDDENLY HOT AND THEN COLD.

6. EXHAUST FAN IN THE BATHROOM ALWAYS ON WHEN THE LIGHT SWITCH ON. Wake up in the morning and turn on the light and BOOM, the exhaust fan was on also. Like, REALLY ?? do I have to have this ON ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN I'M NOT SHOWERING ??? That humming noise in a such a small bathroom, and you got no choice but to put up with it.
You got no options - just like Motel 6.

I consider myself as short. I am Asian, 5'1. The sink height is right on my chest. Even Motel 6 has normal sink design.

8. Not much of TV channels either - at least Motel 6 has HBO channels.
9. Don't expect a fluffy towels - just like Motel 6.

10. PARKING - SUCKS period - Motel 6 is better than parking in this hotel.
There are big construction trucks parking in such a narrow space, so they ARROGANTLY took 2 spaces. And then I thought I found one looks like it was empty, but NO, there's one motorbike ARROGANTLY took that one car space, while I am sure that motorbike could have parked somewhere else, not occupying already hard-to-find car parking space.

11. Old Fridge made so much noise and of course barely made your food cold.

And there are others that I am just too tired to even mention here.

SO WHY THEY CALL THEMSELVES SUITES WHILE WHAT YOU GOT JUST THE SAME OLD MOTEL 6 ROOM WITH OLD FRIDGE AND OLD MICROWAVE, AND NO AC ????
CHRIST, EVEN MOTEL 6 HAS A NOISY AC.

HOW THEY JUSTIFIED THE WORD SUITES HERE FOR THEIR STANDARD STUDIO ROOM, WHICH COST $145/NIGHT ????

I wasn't even in the room so much because of my work. Yet, the experience is quite this terrible, that I need to make time to write review for others to acknowledge and hoping for the hotel to realize or improve their facility (which I doubt).

Room Tip: If for one night and can't find other hotel, this will be ok hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for writing your review. Either good, bad or indifferent we appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. Unfortunately, your experience wasn't very positive and I will address your issues as you listed them.

1. UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF: No excuses, the person you mentioned was new and just learning the front desk. We have sat with her and went over your complaint and made sure she received more training. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. That individual has now has been getting a lot of positive feedback from our guest.

2. Cleanliness of the room: this is an area we take most serious as we want all of our guest to feel comfortable when staying with us. We have since hired a new Director of Housekeeping and she is committed that all rooms are properly inspected before a guest can check in.

3. NOISE: unfortunately we were unaware of the television noise and we would of been happy to call the guest regarding the noise. We do realize some guest do like the volume louder than others and are not aware of their surroundings.

4. NARROW WALKWAY: To be honest, this is a first regarding our walkway. We are legal with the required width and are able to use a cleaning cart and enough room to walk by. This is something we cannot physically change. We will keep note of it. Thank you

5. WATER PRESSURE IN THE SHOWER: We are very conscientious with our water pressure for many reasons. Yes cost, but we chose to conserve water with our location. It unfortunately we do not have a surplus water in Marin County or California and we are making every effort to follow the guidelines that we have been given. We hope you understand our policy and would support it.

6. EXHAUST FAN IN THE BATHROOM ALWAYS ON WHEN THE LIGHT SWITCH ON: Yes, this is common in a lot of hotels from your 5 stars to motels. It helps create ventilation when individuals want to use the vanity area.

7. SINK DESIGN IS TOO HIGH FOR NORMAL HEIGHT PEOPLE & PRETTY MUCH NO PLACE TO PUT ANYTHING ON THE COUNTER: This is again the first time we seen a review regarding our sink height. The average male is 5.10 and female 5.3 and accommodates those of average height. We wish you informed the front desk and we would had been happy to provide a step stool for you to make you more comfortable.

8. Not much of TV channels either: We have you basic cable channels movie channels. We apologize we did not meet your expectations.

9. Don't expect a fluffy towels -we brought this to the attention to housekeeping and they are making sure to make sure not to use any older towels and replace them immediately.

10. PARKING - SUCKS: We are an busy hotel with a lot of occupancy which is good for us, but yes can be a challenge at times for our guest. We do have enough parking spots, it just can be towards the back of the hotel. Our apologies we did not have something closer to your room.

11. Old Fridge made so much noise and of course barely made your food cold: We wish you had brought this to our attention during your stay. We could had our maintenance department look into it.

We do not like to read poor reviews and we do not like the fact that your experience wasn't positive. We have addressed your issues and we continue to work on making all our guest stay more enjoyable.

We do appreciate the fact that you did not choose to stay with us for over two weeks and we look forward to another opportunity in the future.

Been to Marin Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!