“This is MOTEL 6 period (without AC)” 1 of 5 stars

Marin Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA 94925   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Corte Madera
San Francisco, California
“This is MOTEL 6 period (without AC)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

AFTER TWO WEEKS OF STAY, HERE'S MY REVIEW:
(don't be fooled by pics)

Pros: distance to where my project was in Marin

CONS:
1. UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF - her name is JESSICA - SHOCKING CHARGES showed up on my bank statement. Found out later on, it was her mistakenly refunded 1 night and later on showed up as charges. I know I paid the room in full when checking in, so when there's charges showed up later on I was shock. (I am in the process of settling this issue as I am writing this)
Also, she was the one checked me in and argue when I mentioned that I was promised a room downstairs instead of upstairs for my 2nd stay at Marin Suites hotel. My 1st stay was late in May 2016, I didn't like the room at all.
But, because it was late check in, I just had to put up with the same room upstairs that I didn't like the first time.
I stayed 7 nights the first stay and 6 nights the second time. Both are not pleasant - Just like Motel 6.

2. Cleanliness of the room - OLD FOOD LEFT IN THE FRIDGE
My experience of the 2nd time staying there was food was in the fridge. So I called Front Desk and Jessica - predictably handling this issue in a very RUDE and DEFENSIVE WAY and I had to tell her that even though it's not her fault, it's front desk's job to at least apologize for the food left like that in the fridge.
LATER ON I FOUND AN OLD SHIRT UNDER THE BED SKIRT.
From then on I thought I would never ever stay here again - this is just like Motel 6.

3. NOISE - you could hear the TV next room or above you or people outside talking. You could clearly hear their conversations. Just like when you stay at Motel 6.

4. NARROW WALKWAY - just like Motel 6.

5. WATER PRESSURE IN THE SHOWER - just like Motel 6, prickling water, barely reach your leg when showering.
ON TOP OF THAT, WHEN NEXT ROOM PEOPLE USING THE SHOWER OR FLUSH THE TOILET, WHILE YOU WERE SHOWERING, IT WILL MAKE THE WATER SUDDENLY HOT AND THEN COLD.

6. EXHAUST FAN IN THE BATHROOM ALWAYS ON WHEN THE LIGHT SWITCH ON. Wake up in the morning and turn on the light and BOOM, the exhaust fan was on also. Like, REALLY ?? do I have to have this ON ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN I'M NOT SHOWERING ??? That humming noise in a such a small bathroom, and you got no choice but to put up with it.
You got no options - just like Motel 6.

I consider myself as short. I am Asian, 5'1. The sink height is right on my chest. Even Motel 6 has normal sink design.

8. Not much of TV channels either - at least Motel 6 has HBO channels.
9. Don't expect a fluffy towels - just like Motel 6.

10. PARKING - SUCKS period - Motel 6 is better than parking in this hotel.
There are big construction trucks parking in such a narrow space, so they ARROGANTLY took 2 spaces. And then I thought I found one looks like it was empty, but NO, there's one motorbike ARROGANTLY took that one car space, while I am sure that motorbike could have parked somewhere else, not occupying already hard-to-find car parking space.

11. Old Fridge made so much noise and of course barely made your food cold.

And there are others that I am just too tired to even mention here.

SO WHY THEY CALL THEMSELVES SUITES WHILE WHAT YOU GOT JUST THE SAME OLD MOTEL 6 ROOM WITH OLD FRIDGE AND OLD MICROWAVE, AND NO AC ????
CHRIST, EVEN MOTEL 6 HAS A NOISY AC.

HOW THEY JUSTIFIED THE WORD SUITES HERE FOR THEIR STANDARD STUDIO ROOM, WHICH COST $145/NIGHT ????

I wasn't even in the room so much because of my work. Yet, the experience is quite this terrible, that I need to make time to write review for others to acknowledge and hoping for the hotel to realize or improve their facility (which I doubt).

Room Tip: If for one night and can't find other hotel, this will be ok hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Matthew A, Director of Sales at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for writing your review. Either good, bad or indifferent we appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. Unfortunately, your experience wasn't very positive and I will address your issues as you listed them.

1. UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF: No excuses, the person you mentioned was new and just learning the front desk. We have sat with her and went over your complaint and made sure she received more training. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. That individual has now has been getting a lot of positive feedback from our guest.

2. Cleanliness of the room: this is an area we take most serious as we want all of our guest to feel comfortable when staying with us. We have since hired a new Director of Housekeeping and she is committed that all rooms are properly inspected before a guest can check in.

3. NOISE: unfortunately we were unaware of the television noise and we would of been happy to call the guest regarding the noise. We do realize some guest do like the volume louder than others and are not aware of their surroundings.

4. NARROW WALKWAY: To be honest, this is a first regarding our walkway. We are legal with the required width and are able to use a cleaning cart and enough room to walk by. This is something we cannot physically change. We will keep note of it. Thank you

5. WATER PRESSURE IN THE SHOWER: We are very conscientious with our water pressure for many reasons. Yes cost, but we chose to conserve water with our location. It unfortunately we do not have a surplus water in Marin County or California and we are making every effort to follow the guidelines that we have been given. We hope you understand our policy and would support it.

6. EXHAUST FAN IN THE BATHROOM ALWAYS ON WHEN THE LIGHT SWITCH ON: Yes, this is common in a lot of hotels from your 5 stars to motels. It helps create ventilation when individuals want to use the vanity area.

7. SINK DESIGN IS TOO HIGH FOR NORMAL HEIGHT PEOPLE & PRETTY MUCH NO PLACE TO PUT ANYTHING ON THE COUNTER: This is again the first time we seen a review regarding our sink height. The average male is 5.10 and female 5.3 and accommodates those of average height. We wish you informed the front desk and we would had been happy to provide a step stool for you to make you more comfortable.

8. Not much of TV channels either: We have you basic cable channels movie channels. We apologize we did not meet your expectations.

9. Don't expect a fluffy towels -we brought this to the attention to housekeeping and they are making sure to make sure not to use any older towels and replace them immediately.

10. PARKING - SUCKS: We are an busy hotel with a lot of occupancy which is good for us, but yes can be a challenge at times for our guest. We do have enough parking spots, it just can be towards the back of the hotel. Our apologies we did not have something closer to your room.

11. Old Fridge made so much noise and of course barely made your food cold: We wish you had brought this to our attention during your stay. We could had our maintenance department look into it.

We do not like to read poor reviews and we do not like the fact that your experience wasn't positive. We have addressed your issues and we continue to work on making all our guest stay more enjoyable.

We do appreciate the fact that you did not choose to stay with us for over two weeks and we look forward to another opportunity in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Red Bluff, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Marin Suites is our go-to hotel when staying in central Marin. Easy freeway access, central location, close to Larkspur Ferry for trips to SF and AT&T Park. Close to grocery store and other shopping needs/amenities. The rooms we have stayed in the last 3 years are recently remodeled. Due to complaints they received, they were quick to point out no AC but fans available in the rooms. Really, it is so rare that AC is needed in Corte Madera, I don't see this as a negative of the place. They allow pets which is a plus for us since we sometimes travel with our dog. The front desk staff is super and house keeping is efficient and friendly. The salt water pool is heated and always sparkling clean. The outdoor bbq area is beautiful and welcoming. The breakfast is pretty simple but there is something for everyone. The coffee is decent.

Room Tip: This hotel is next to Hwy 101, so the rooms in the back of the property are along the freeway. We h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate that we are your go-to hotel when staying in central Marin. We agree that with the easy freeway access, central location, close to Larkspur Ferry for trips to SF and AT&T Park. Close to grocery store and other shopping needs/amenities. Thank you for pointing out that we did put fans and more recently evaporative coolers in all of our rooms.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We have stayed at Marin Suites several times over several years. This will be our last stay during the summer time. The property has been undergoing consistent renovations over time, but absolutely has to take the next step and add air conditioning. Marin is no longer cool during the summer time. Temps in the high 80's and low 90's make the room unbearable during the day time. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is certainly adequate for quick self-serve, and the location is excellent. Convenient to San Francisco and points north as well as to local shopping. However, the lack of AC really kills the deal in the summer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Matthew A, Director of Sales at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate you have stayed at Marin Suites several times over several years. It is unfortunate that you do not want to try us during the summer time. Yes, the property has been undergoing consistent renovations. We are addressing the hot weather problem by purchasing evaporative cooler for each hotel room. We realize that this is not the end all to solve air conditioning, but we are working to have the rooms more comfortable for you and all of our guest. These coolers will clear the warm air with cool air and with the ceiling fans make all the rooms that much more comfortable than in the past.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It takes guest like you to realize that we needed to find a solution. We hope that we will see you again in the future.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom suite (4 adults, 3 children ages 12, 6, and 2) and it was perfect for us. The kids loved the pool, breakfast was provided on the first level, and there was a grill available to BBQ, which we did on two of the three evenings. The courtyard was beautifully kept and the pool extremely clean. The hotel is close to Trader Joes and Safeway, so we could cook/eat all our meals on site, which is wonderful with a two year old who does not sit still for long! The staff were extremely responsive to our requests (more towels and pillows) and they happily granted a late check-out so we could shower after our half marathon. I highly recommend this place if you are staying with extended family/kids.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your endorsement. It's nice to read that we were perfect for you and exceeded your expectations.

We hope to see you again and again.
Belmont, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed here twice but probably won't again. I completely forgot about the lack of AC.
The rooms are tired and the beds are beyond old. My iron was broken and only the sound worked on the TV. And I am writing this last sentence as TripAdvisor needs a minimum of 200 words.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for writing us a review. We hope you will give us another try in the future. No we have not installed air conditioning, but we have purchased evaporative coolers for each room. Using the ceiling fans as well as our portable fans all rooms should become a lot cooler.

We apologized that you were not comfortable with the bed. We have recently purchased beds in the last year. Unfortunately we realize not all bed meet personal preferences.

Again, I hope you give us another try and experience the changes.

Travelers are raving about these Corte Madera hotels

Martinez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a studio suite with a king size bed. The bed wasn't the most comfortable bed, but I can't complain about anything else! I didn't wake up in pain so really the bed wasn't horrible uncomfortable, just not memorable. The room was soacious, clean, the staff was friendly when we crossed paths, the soap provided smelled wonderful (including shampoo and conditioner) and the little sanctuary area and pool/spa area was so relaxing! We would definentely stay here again! The best part too is it was only a short 15-20 minute drive from the city!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the hotel. We apologize the bed was not more comfortable. We have purchased beds in the last year, but we realize that everyone is different. We appreciate that you did point out that the rooms are spacious, clean, the staff was friendly. It's great to read that took advantage of the sanctuary area and pool/spa area and found it so relaxing.

We look forward to having stay here again and giving us such a nice endorsement!
Viksdalen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is a good hotel with nice apartments and good prices.

We rented 2 apartments for 3 nights with kitchen. Good space with separate rooms and great beds. Nice hotel with pool, quite area, nice staff that are helpful and know a lot about the area.It only 15 to 20 minutes drive downtown San Francisco.

From the hotel you have only 5 to 10 minutes drive to Sausalito where you can find some great restaurant with good service and a nice view to San Francisco and Alcatraz.

I stayed at this hotel in 2013 and 2014 because it's close to grocery store with the name Safeway. At Safeway there are good prices for all types of grocery. Impoetant to ask for the "safeway discount card" if you don't have it. Look for the "yellow prices" and you get good discount if you use the Safeway card.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know that we are a good hotel with nice rooms and good prices.

We look forward to having you stay again in 2015.

Been to Marin Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!