“Nice location but hotel room not clean and smelled.” 3 of 5 stars

Marin Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA 94925   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Corte Madera
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
“Nice location but hotel room not clean and smelled.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were a family of three and stayed in a two bedroom suite. It was the only hotel near Sausalito that could accommodate our party without paying for two rooms. I think the price was little high for the quality of the hotel and room. The room was a mix of very old with some updates. All of the outlets except for the kitchen were only two prong. I could not plug in my computer in any of the bedrooms. The room smelled terrible. I actually went to the Rite Aid and bought some air freshener for our stay. It was an odd smell of chemicals and plastic. I think it might have been the new flooring in the kitchen. There was as a small sign in the kitchen that housekeeping does not do kitchen cleaning, but they gave us nothing to do our dishes with as far as dishtowels or dishcloths. One of the bedroom doors was falling apart. The veneer panel was separating from the door and caused problems when trying to open and close it. This is a very simple and inexpensive maintenance issue and I'm not sure why they just didn't replace the door. The beds were comfortable and the bedding crisp and clean, with plenty of great pillows. No remote for the TV and had to call the desk to get one. The first one they brought didn't work, the second one all the buttons stuck. I gave up after that. The fans had a layer of visible dust on all the blades. It made the room feel dirty. Our bedrooms faced the highway, so was a little noisy. The sofa was stained and old. The living room could use a couple of sitting chairs, it was large enough. The only option was to sit on the dirty sofa. I didn't even want to sit on it. Could have used more counter space in the bathroom. I didn't go to the breakfast but my two 21 old kids did every morning. They said it was good. They also had positive things to say about the courtyard area. It was fixed up very nicely with outdoor furniture, cabanas, heated pool, hot tub, etc. Other positives were the shopping centers very close by with nice restaurants and close to the Larkspur Ferry that we took over to SFO for the day. Sausalito just a few miles down the highway. We took two days trips, one to Napa and one to Santa Cruz, the hotel was a good central point those side trips.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway.

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Overall, a good little hotel, in a great location. The rooms were clean. The beds were a little soft, but good. The only thing that was bad, was there is no air conditioning in the room. Luckily, the temperature during the night was cool. Overall, a good hotel for the area. Close to shopping and other places such as Mill Valley and Sausaulito.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SEBASTOPOL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The studio room was large, with a breakfast nook, microwave, refrigerator. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was a hot day, though, and there were fans only, no air conditioning. The breakfast was ordinary, the coffee terrible (the coffee in the breakfast area tasted burnt, and the coffee packets for the in-room coffee maker produced tasteless liquid), but the accommodations were terrific and I'll stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

They are renovating, we stayed in an suite with new furniture and kitchen. It was wonderful, plenty of room in the suite, clean and inviting pool and hot tub. Close to stores and restaurants as well as easy to find right off the freeway, but no freeway noise. It is not fancy, just very comfortable. Breakfast was ok, but not well stocked. I would stay here again

Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at Marin Suites two nights, making a "value choice." I feel you're getting much more (space, kitchenette, convenience, location, #beds) here then you could get probably anywhere else in Southern Marin County for these prices.
What it is not is romantic, charming or upscale - don't go there for your 10th anniversary getaway. Also, the walls are on the thin side, so if you're unlucky, noisy kids/folks next to your suite might bother you.
Overall, the property and rooms are very decent and I highly recommend the place based on proper expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
South Pacific
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

" My husband and I stayed in a 2 room suite on two occasions this month. Rooms are large and overall cleanliness is good. However, the rooms that we stayed in all had a musty odor and the kitchens were poorly equipped. Also be aware that there is no air-conditioning and we found it to be stuffy at night. Breakfast was good. Pool and common areas looked nice.
I might have rated this hotel as a 3 out of 5, except for bitten by bed bugs on the first night of our second stay and receiving exceptionally bad customer service from the management in this regard. After receiving my complaint as reception, I was kept waiting for an hour. I then had to follow up again at reception before a staff member came to the room. I assume he was a manager because he had a suit on, but he never introduced himself or asked me about my experience. His attitude was all business as he hurriedly inspected the bed and told me it was impossible to have bed bugs as the mattress was zipped into a "special" cover. He suggested it may have been a mosquito! He was totally not interested in actually looking at the bites on my leg and foot. Before he left, he offered to compensate us for "my inconvenience" and said we would be moved to a different room (which would only be ready 4 hours later). No offer was made to move our luggage over to the new room or store it for us, and as we had arrangements for the day we were forced to pack everything back into the car, to return in the afternoon. Upon arriving back at the hotel, my husband enquired at reception whether we were going to receive a discount for the previous room, and the receptionist told us that the manager had not mentioned anything to him. We requested he follow up while we were out to dinner. Which he did, and told us that the manager said there were no bed bugs in the room (they had apparently brought in a sniffer-dog) and he denied saying anything about compensation. At this time it was 8pm and receptionist said we could not contact the manager personally that evening and would have to return the next day at 7am.
Due to the circumstances my husband returned to the hotel the next morning after taking me to the airport (not part of our original travel plans and quite out of his way). The conversation went no-where with the manager being exceptionally unhelpful and unapologetic, and my husband getting the feeling that he thought I was making this up to receive a free night at the hotel. He finally begrudgingly gave us $50 off the room. I would definitely not be making such a fuss and wasting our time complaining and chasing up management over a mosquito bite. There is no doubt in my mind that the bites are from bedbugs (I have seen bedbug bites before); they are an erratic line of itchy red welts and have still not gone away after 3 days. I would suggest some of the critters have made an escape from the "bug proof" mattress cover in suite # 411! "

Room Tip: Stay away from ground floor rooms, they have windows which open right onto the parking lot and do no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Matthew A, Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We aplologize for you inconvenice and confusion during your stay with the Marin Suites. We take your claim very seriously as bedbugs are a major concern in the entire hotel industry. We proactively take steps such as encasements for mattresses and box springs, also our entire housekeeping staff goes through a training program to identify problems to ensure your safety and we even use trained sniffing dogs on a regular inspection schedule to prevent problems from ever arising. We have a certified pest management company that inspects and adds to our guests protection.

We did immediately move you to another room for your peace of mind. We did compensate you for your inconvenience .

We understand the emotions one goes through suspecting that something is not right or safe in your suite and sincerely apologize if we did not convey ourselves in a way to put you more at ease. We take pride in provididing a safe, comfortable stay that will have you return again.

Travelers are raving about these Corte Madera hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

First room:
Bathroom door didn't close
TV didn't work (they fixed it)
Lamp didn't work (didn't ask for them to fix)
Ironing board broken.....

Looked like menstrual blood on sheets.....

Brought us sheets (which didn't fit bed) as no housekeeping to change bed.

2nd room

Lamp broken
No lock on bathroom door
TV broken
You could hear in detail the people having sex upstairs. Luckily it was over quickly......poor woman :)

They did swap rooms for us quickly into a bigger room, and gave as a discount very quickly so can't fault the service once we got to speak to duty manager......hence why not bottom rating.

Simply for the price, DO NOT USE.

The place is very tired and old and over priced.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marin Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!