“The Truth About This Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Marin Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA 94925   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Corte Madera
Dallas, TX
“The Truth About This Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I had to review this hotel after reading somewhat decent reviews. I stayed here for 3 days.
I'll be nice and start with some positives. The hotel is a decent location depending on what you want to do. You can stay in San Francisco if you want to spend most of your time there for just a few dollars more...I've done it multiple times. I had to stay here because of a wedding party I was with. There are a few restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance which was nice.
Now the truth. The worst part was the mildew smell in the room. I quickly realized this was due to the massive water stain at the front door. There was a large gap in the door and rain just comes right in. Proof is in my uploaded picture. The first call to the front desk was, "sorry, we have no more rooms available. Open up your windows." This hotel does not have air conditioning in any room which usually isn't a problem however it was above 80 degrees in the room when we were there. The rooms are old, hotel is old, bathrooms are old...and it shows. The toilet had to be manually fixed each time it was flush. The chain kept catching. Calling the front desk didn't help since they told me that is just how a lot of them are. Since there is no air, windows must be kept open. The freeway noise that most of the rooms have a full view of was extremely loud. This hotel boasts about it's free internet. Out of the 6 people in our group, nobody was able to say it worked even close to consistently. My room was in the corner and we couldn't even pick up the signal. Another call to the front desk was unsuccessful as they stated that it didn't work when lots of people are staying at the hotel. They stated that there was no solution and after I told them I needed it for work, the lady literally hung up on me. I've stayed at 100's of hotels and this was the second worst free breakfast I've seen. It is cereal and cheap bagels. You could make your own waffles but there were so many people trying to eat the only good thing there that the wait for the waffles was too long.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sscheck, General Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I wanted to personally apologize for the experience you had during your stay – this is not a typical experience of one of our hotel guests nor is it acceptable. Upon receiving the review, we immediately inspected the room and promptly called in our maintenance crew to replace the carpet and fix the other details you mentioned. I am most disappointed with the way the Front Desk agent handled the challenges you faced – we at the Marin Suites pride ourselves in giving exceptional guest service – and this obviously was not the case in this situation. We will be addressing this issue with the entire Front Desk staff to ensure that this does not happen again. We do not have wireless internet access issues when the hotel is full – this was misinformation – and again, training will be given to this associate to properly handle such a call in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed here as a family of five visiting San Francisco. The Hotel is situated within easy access of San Francisco and driving over the Golden Gate to get into town a delight. The staff were very kind and helpful and the room very spacious (a two bedroomed suite) although in need of refurbishment that that management told us was planned for after the holiday season. Not having Air Conditioning was not a problem. Having a kitchen was a great help and the free internet access very welcome. Two large shopping centres within walking distance (with some fabulous restaurants) was a definite plus also. The beautiful candles placed at night around the swimming pool and the fire-pit and free outdoor barbequeues for the guests's use were fabulous. There was some noise from the streets but this was not a major problem. The enormous plasma tv was loved by the children. The pool temperature was great at about 29 degrees C. The kindness of the reception desk staff and management was noteworthy. All in all a very nice stay and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a quiet and refurbished room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sscheck, General Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you for being our guest this summer and for taking the time to post a review. We do pride ourselves in provding exceptional guest experiences and I am glad to see that our staff was friendly and accomodating. I hope that we will see you again soon the next time your travels bring you to the Corte Madera area.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is a good location in Marin County. It is right on 101 but the freeway noise is no bother with the windows closed. It's great because you can jump on and off the freeway easily.
The bed is nice and I would say the furnishings are okay. It is a little dated but I am happy to have a room in corte Madera in the middle of July.
I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Small vanity in Bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I booked the Marin Suites Hotel because it was cheaper than staying in San Fransisco wharf area and it is just across the Golden Gate Bridge. It appears that the hotel is a renovated apartment building but don't let the fact that the doors open to the outside make you think "motel". We had a one bedroom suite. The bedroom had 2 queen beds and the living area had a pullout couch. They also offer 2 bedroom suites. It has a full kitchen and dining area. The furniture was fairly updated and it had a nice flat screen TV. I have 5 in my family and the extra space was welcomed. The worse part was the bedroom and bathroom doorknobs were cheap and would get stuck. The pool was nice and they also had a place called the "sanctuary," an outdoor seating area in a breezeway with a fireplace and flat screen TVs. Breakfast was a typical hot & cold item variety-waffles, bagels, cereal, fruit, juice, etc. I saw maintenance people on the grounds taking care things. The location is close to Suasalito where there is a lot of shopping and a marina and beautiful views. Also it is close to Muir Woods where the redwood trees are. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: When booking the hotel gives you an option to pay $5 more a night to upgrade your room to a 2 bedroo...
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Not sure what to make of this place. I would probably recommend to friends but would underscore any recommendation with the caveat that they should be prepared to put up with some noise. Positives: Kids loved the pool. It was great. Price was very reasonable for what was on offer. Staff were nice. Our 2nd room, 3rd floor was huge and comfortable. City is convenient and $6 toll over the GG was worth it for the spectacular drive in every day. Local area was nice, Larkspur, Town Center etc. Convenient for Napa/Sonoma. Negatives: Highway noise was evident but it wasn't that bad...ended up being a white noise in our first room. Inter-room noise was terrible. This was my main complaint. I could hear multiple snore-ers and the noise from above was too much - not the guests fault - the problem was all about the noise transfer/insulation. Rooms are a little dated - especially open space and kitchenette. Elevator story (size and location) is a little dicey if you have lots of bags. I complained about the room noise on Day 1 and they transferred us to 3rd floor on Day 2 (and an upgrade to 2 bed). We were pretty happy with 2nd room - although there was still some noise side to side the worst was top to bottom. As you start to relax and unwind these things tend to be less of a concern and we enjoyed the rest of our stay. Recommend for families with young kids but insist on 3rd floor if you have low tolerance for noise.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor - best option for noise sanity
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
sscheck, General Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed comments regarding your recent stay at the Marin Suites Hotel – we do appreciate your time and feedback. We do pride ourselves in our staff and our customer service standards and are glad that you noticed this as well as other notes on room size, our recently remodeled pool area, and convenient location. I do apologize about the noise issue you did encounter during your stay, but are glad we were able to move you to accommodate you better. We are constantly trying to find ways to improve the guest experience and guest comments are the best source we have for doing that. Thank you again.
taree, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The room was lovely, an eclectic mix of antique style furnishings. Complete kitchen, supremely comfortable pillow top mattress on the bed. So well equipped, they even provided cotton swabs in the bathroom, and fluffy cotton robes to use after a shower. The pool/spa area was magic at night, large candle lanterns were lit when darkness fell, a fire pit with lounges and chairs all around. Close and convenient to the city, but quiet and cozy for a great night's sleep. Highly recommend this property for anyone visiting the San Francisco area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have family nearby and have always stayed here including at one time about 10 rooms for a wedding. The suites (one or two bedrooms plus living room and kitchen) are large and well equipped, they are well cleaned (a signed under the bed saying "yes, we do clean here"!) and very good value. We do not have a car (we fly in and walk to my son's house) and there are half a dozen restaurants (we strongly recommend the Pacific Catch)within walking distance, a good shopping centre with a Safeways, farmers' market and all the necessary shops) and in the small centre next door a good bookshop and an outdoors shop. The staff are very freindly and helpful. The only problem I have ever had is from time to time internet access can be flaky - but there has always been someone to help. We will continue visiting and recommending.

Room Tip: Ask for a room whith a view of Mount Tam and away.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Marin Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!