“No freshly cleaned rooms!!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Budget Inn to your Saves list
Budget Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   706 Meadowsweet Dr, Corte Madera, CA 94985   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Corte Madera
“No freshly cleaned rooms!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel, where the bedsheets don't get changed after the last guests --> you found it.
We stayed here for two nights in two different rooms and both times there were hair and crumbs in our beds and dont get me started on the bathroom.
The sink hasnt even been wiped down, neither has the shower. The bottom part of the shower is completely black.

Honestly? I think the owner is the only one cleaning. We saw him do the laundry (bedsheets and towels) in the garage and he lives right next to the office with his children. Nothing wrong with that, but all together it's just weird!

• Stayed August 2013

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I actually stayed at this hotel for 5 days when I started a new job in the area, Dec. 1998. I still remember how horrible & creepy it was. I was alone and didn't always feel entirely safe in the room but I needed a cheap place to stay while I was looking for a place to live. Everything looked run down and grimy. I would only show up to the room after dark in order to sleep after a very long day of work, and apartment hunting. At least it had a TV so I could try and relax. I felt vulnerable there because it was the ground floor, close to the street.

One morning I woke up just before sunrise, but still had my head on the pillow. I was trying to get back to sleep when I felt like someone was standing next to the bed, right near me. I didn't see anyone there but I swear I felt something touch my hair, and lift it up! I bolted awake, turned all of the lights on, and TV, and got ready super early so I didn't have to stay in that room. I was totally freaked out and checked out the following day.

I always remembered that hotel and looked it up to see if anyone else experienced ghosts there. I saw at least one reviewer think it was creepy, and YES this hotel is very creepy.
It was frustrating that the front desk wasn't very helpful. Don't bother staying here.

Room Tip: don't stay here, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Nevada City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

The only motel open after six hours of driving. The proprietor refused to speak English and set us up in the room above the office. On first inspection the room looked as if it had been freshly painted. Upon second inspection an hour later too tired to leave, we checked the windows to find no locks and or broken locks. The window over looking the drive way was broken and the latch ripped completely of . When we called down to the office we were told to put a hanger in it. Ok... well, the second bedroom window latch was also broken and to top it off the ladder for the roof was propped up against the window screen. Another call and the same . When we walked down to get our money back we were refused, the manager said that we had been in there too long to deserve a refund (suddenly he could speak English)..... Well we were too tired to drive away so wee stripped the beds and draped the windows with the covers and put every stick of furniture in the window path. The next morning .....When we checked out the bathroom there was grey mold in the shower and the floor was black with something that looked like tar. The sink was filled with what appeared to be paint and cleaning debris.
The Hotel from hell was a laughing joke for the rest of the weekend. We drove down the road the next day and stayed at the Best Western paid twice as much and believe me it was dang worth it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

The first thing we noticed when entering the room was the smell: a combination of sewage or moth balls covering up something possibly decomposing. The only lamp in the sleeping area had no lampshade, just a naked bulb, with bizarre red stains all over it. Much of the furniture looked like it had been thrown around a lot. Most alarming: there was no bolt on the door and signs of a struggle with the door, possibly smashed or forced open with a crowbar, which was "fixed" with bright blue electrical tape. There was a bizarre yellow glare from outside lights that filled the room giving it a malarial-like feel and the grating on the heater was corroding with a brown substance. We didn't really make it into the "kitchen" which was disturbingly grimy and would have been the perfect place for a murder scene. The entire place seemed to be covered in dirt from the 70s and the toilet lunged forward when I sat on it. The cat immediately began hissing at the underside of the bed the minute she was removed from her carrier (we are just considering "a mouse" for piece of mind). We took the hint, and literally ran out of there within 15 minutes! It was worth it for us to not even argue about getting our money back, we just wanted out of there!

NOTE: This is not overly exagerated to be funny. THIS IS ALL TRUE! We feel an obligation to tell people do not stay here unless you are location shooting for a horror film. THE ABSOLUTE WORST "INN" EXPERIENCE WE'VE EVER HAD!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The creepy vibe
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

We were stunned when we drove up and saw a building about to fall down. We didn't feel safe staying there so my husband went inside to cancel our reservation. Woman didn't (or wouldn't) speak English and tried to register him. We left and drove back home. We booked through the Entertainment Book travel site. When we called to complain they said that we'd booked a one star motel, what did we expect. So like the other reviewer we are fighting to get out money back. Also, the travel group told my husband that the motel people said we did stay there. We didn't, we drove home to Sacramento and got home exhausted at midnight.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

This hotel needs to be shut down.

The upstairs plywood walkway was flimsy and slanted. It had holes in it and felt like it was going to collapse. In the room, the shower enclosure was peeling completely off the wall because of mold growth behind it. There were holes in the stained walls and ceiling and light fixtures. The furnitrure was dingy. The toilet turned out to be clogged from the beginning and overlowed on the first flush. It smelled like the toilet probably overflowed regularly. The windows in the room didn't latch and the door did not have a deadbolt or chain. This was disturbing given that it was such a dilapidated place.

At first, we decided to tough it out for the first night of our two night reservation because we were so tired from traveling, had no idea where else we could go, and hadn't become fully aware of all the problems. But upon arrival, we immediately canceled our second night and received authorization from Expedia and the hotel to waive cancellation fees. When my credit card statement arrived the following month I found I was not only charged for the horrifying night we spent, but for the night after we left as well. When I contacted Expedia, they renigged on the cancellation and I am currently battling with them over the charge. It remains to be seen how it will be resolved.

Please avoid this accommodation.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was so dilapidated
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid it.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!