“Blast from the Past with Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Toledo, Ohio
“Blast from the Past with Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Recommended as a local dinner experience; quick reasonably prices, and fun atmosphere.

This is a nice retro dinner that is usually crowed with locals (a good sign). Décor is true to the past with a jukebox selection at every table, a stool/bar seating... even a manual cash register. Chalk boards with daily and weekly specials add a nice touch. I love the fact that they have not remodeled and lost its charm.

Food is dinner type with a wide selection of lunch sandwiches and nice breakfast options. Service was good and prices were reasonable. I had a turkey sandwich on sourdough bread, coleslaw and soft drink; about $8.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fukuoka, Japan
“Nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend the milk shakes, everything else was good but average. Very cute vintage look inside.

Visited February 2014
Coronado, California
“I'm a local and I will never eat there again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

First thing, I am a local to the island and I have been to this place for years. Every time I go there lately, I wish I didn't, because the food and service is so bad. You don't leave the place thinking, "wow, that was great food, can't wait to go back". Instead you are thinking, " what was I thinking going back and eating there, that was so disappointing". This leads me up to today's visit, as I sit here typing this in the fetal position from the bad food pain. Today we were hungry and wanted something close because my wife is pregnant and I have medical issues. We figured we could try Claytons again, (remember we have been there multiple times because we live on a small island and it is close to us).

1. We knew it wasn't going to be a good visit when the staff was talking to one another and leaving dirty dishes on the tables where people wanted to sit. It was not busy (on a Saturday afternoon) and there was no excuse for that much disorganization, especially with the number of staff on hand. We finally sat down at a dirty table and around 5 to 10 minutes later an unfriendly guy cleaned the table ignoring our hellos and thank you, not a big deal, but really!

2. I ordered a burger and when I advised the waitress that I could not have seeds on the bun, she asked the head chef if they had any bread without seeds. He said, no, just plain white bread. When I asked if I could have two bottoms they advised me he didn't want to split up two buns into two, losing money with two bun tops. In a town with over 50% of its population over 60, you would think they would have some kind of bread with no seeds; That would accommodate the many seniors and individuals with medical disabilities that can't have such luxuries. Also, you would think if someone is purchasing a burger worth $10.00 that same individual could afford 20 or so cents to purchase the cost of an additional bun, instead of, no we can't do it. The waitress did try to accommodate our needs, but made it clear she can only do that which the head chef allows. It would have been nice to have been asked how our meal was and what if we were not satisfied some kind of remedy or make good for the situation.

3. I ended up ordering the steak sandwich, the bun had no seeds (interestingly not white bread though like I was told was my only option). They could of used this as a burger bun as well. The steak sandwich was the worst thing I have ever tasted. As you can see from the photo I couldn't eat 80% of it. I couldn't tell if the cook was messing with me because of frustration regarding the bread questions. I won't go into all the problems with this sandwich.

4. The gravy, If you can't make gravy then you shouldn't be in a kitchen. Wow, and they can't even make gravy. The gravy was no more than brown water, it had the consistency of water, no real taste and also had unstirred clumps. It was suppose to be sausage gravy and not a sausage in sight. Additionally, it leads me to assume it was a mix that too much liquid (likely water) was added.

5. Dirty cups and chipped cups. One must drink beverages with a straw because you won't want to risk cutting your lips and some cups smell like dog.

6. The special of the day , written on the chalk board on the wall was different then what they told us, they also over charged us on the advertised special price.

7. They made me waste part of my day eating poor, unsatisfying food and writing this review. I hate having to leave reviews, this is my second review ever. It is a waste of my time but they wasted my money and I don't want them to waste yours. I will never eat there again! EVER!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
California
“Great Breakfast Alternative to Del Coronado”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

They are a traditional diner type place. Staff is attentive, managed to turn tables pretty quickly. But, they have a huge counter that seats a lot of people, so that helps the turnover. Good and varied menu and reasonably priced.

Visited February 2014
Phoenix
“Great little cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was a great little cafe that brought you back in time. For breakfast we were able to sit at the counter and enjoy a great all American meal. The food was terrific and service great. If you have time to get to this little restaurant it is a must while you are in Coronado.

Visited January 2014