“Very nice but a 4 mile drive from the rest of Coronado Island.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Like a Local
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very nice but a 4 mile drive from the rest of Coronado Island.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Beautiful resort, but I stayed there for business travel and the fitness center hours were not conducive to a business traveler's schedule. 6 am to 8 pm plus a $10 fee for daily use is unreasonable. Otherwise it is a great place if you don't mind the drive to the other places on Coronado Island.

• Stayed October 2010
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you for your feedback about the health club and its hours. I will be sending this information to our Spa Director to follow up on.

We hope to see you back...this time on vacation!

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife and I recently had a friend's birthday party to attend in San Diego. We chose the Loews because of its proximity to the beach on Coronado, coupled with its reasonable rates and amenities.

We were very impressed by the service of the staff members at Loews. Everyone we met on staff was friendly and helpful. Their director of security even meticulously cleaned out our rental car when my wife became ill in it over the weekend, and he refused to take a tip or payment even after I insisted several times.

The only negative thing about this particular Loews is the location - it is a bit off the beaten track. While very close to the Silver Strand State Beach, it is a bit of a drive back to Coronado and San Diego.

With that said, the service won the day for my wife and me. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any one interested in a value-priced stay on Coronado.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind word about your stay. And also, for your fine words of praise for our Director of Security. He does exemplify the kind of guest service we are proud to provide.

Hope to see you again soon!

Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

We have stayed at Loews Coronado many times. We really enjoy visiting Coronado Island, and, as far as we know, this is the only resort in Coronado, which is dog friendly.

The rooms are large and comfortable. We normally try to get a room on the third floor so that we have a view. Almost all rooms have a balcony or patio.

Yes, it is a little bit out of the ways so you'll probably need a car although it's certainly possible to take a cab if you want to go out to dinner without having to drive yourself.

There are two restaurants at the resort and food is also served in the bar area. The food is good at both. The upstairs restaurant is more upscale than the downstairs restaurant. The pool area is great for kids...and adults.

We always find the service to be nice and helpful. That's why I'll rate the resort a "five".

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay! Loews Hotels prides itself in our award winning pet programs. We understand completely the needs of Pet Parents.

We hope to see you all back soon,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Great place to stay, rooms large and very comfortable beds, spacious balcony with amazing views. service excellent, food very good. poolside lovely. staff very friendly. would need a car as there are not any shops ,cafes etc near by, but this just adds relaxation to your holiday. the hotel was very buisy during our vacation, but plenty of quiet spots to get away.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am pleased you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us. As I have mentioned in other reviews-we do offer a complimentary shuttle into downtown Coronado just minutes from the resort. We have our own wonderful dining options as well on property. So, in fact-you can skip renting a car and relax.
We hope to see you again soon.

Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This property is a few miles down the strand past Coronado proper. You can't walk to anything. The upside is that it was extremely quiet and the customer services was great. Rooms were average given that it was a Loews. Could use an update. But over all, good value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Please keep in mind that we do offer complimentary shuttle service daily into the charming town of Coronado-which is just 4 miles away. Also, the resort just completed a full bathroom renovation and we are also renovating all of our guest room corridors’, wall covering and sconces in January. We continually invest back into our property to keep things fresh.
Hope you will return next year to see some of the many changes we have planned.

Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Our family needed 3 rooms for a one night Saturday stay. We bid $115, $138 total with taxes, under the 4-Star category for Coronado. There are only 2 properties, Marriott & Loews, that fall under this classification. We were hoping for the Marriott (stayed there before) but Loews accepted our very attractive bid price. We wanted Marriott only because of the distant Loews location. But we enjoyed the Loews property.

The property does charge $22 per day for parking and $11 for internet service. I can accept the parking but the internet service was a surprise. Our originally assigned "Priceline" room was 1106 (First building, first floor, closest to reception). There were huge wedding parties and some of the revelers were still reveling around 1AM. My wife was awoken and in the morning she could here all the pull suitcases rumbling over the tiles outside our room as everybody approached reception. I sleep through anything. We could have relocated upon check-in and inspection but I misjudged the location. Our other 2 adjoining rooms were upgraded at check-in to the second floor with a partial bay view (actually quite nice). When asked about the stay I mentioned the noise and our $22 parking fee was removed. The rooms were all nice size and the balcony/patio areas quite pleasant for reading and enjoying a refreshment. Ours did overlook one of the 3 pools.

The marina and its aquatic rentals is great. We observed several couples taking advantage of the just before sunset gondola rides with their bring your own refreshments in tow. There are also bicycles where you can ride on the path adjacent to the highway towards the Del (6 miles away). But our focus was on the wave runners ($95/HR includes half wet suit). We had a blast bombing around San Diego Bay at 42 MPH making 2 laps out to Coronado Bridge. I rented one for myself and the other for my niece (21) and nephew (17 - must be 18 for your own). One negative is it takes 8 minutes at 1MPH leaving the marina, then 5MPH through the channel to reach the "let it rip zone"! So if you wanted to share, it would be frustrating covering these in and out slow zones for exchanges. I speculate the Naval surveillance cameras captured the high speed spill of my niece and nephew because you are literally bombing along the Navy ship berths! Lots of fun, Go For It!

My wife and I also took an early morning golf cart shuttle to the state park, Silver Strand beach for a long walk beside the breakers. We walked back to the property which is really not far away at all for those who enjoy exercise. I opted to take the golf cart going because I just wanted to ride in the cart. The nice young man driving us was fun to talk with. All the personnel were very nice, especially those in the front vehicle entrance area. Self parking was a bit of a challenge finding a space late (10PM) Saturday night. But certainly not the end of the world!

Given our price I would most definitely stay here again but make sure our room location is in a "safe zone"!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the resorts fun water activities. Very sorry about the noisy wedding party-but glad to see that our guest service agent was empowered to make an adjustment to your bill for the inconvenience.
We hope you will visit us again soon!

midsouth USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

My experience at Loews Coronado Bay Resort was not perfect and at the same time memorable for life! At first I was anxious I did not know how to find it, as you drive quite a way into Coronado before coming to the property. Upon finally coming onto the grounds I was overjoyed. The hotel sits on its own peninsula and somehow projected to me a sense of intimacy. There is a boat rental place right on the grounds which also rents gondolas. Off on the water one periodically sees a gondola with a gondola driver wearing one of those famous hats. It is very romantic to see. There are bicycles, small boats, etc. available right on the peninsula for rental.

The front desk person was extremely warm and welcoming. Also, I obtained the room through Travel Zoo for $109 and the resort so generously gifted me with a free upgrade to a room facing the on site marinal. My marina view room had a patio where I spent most of my time enthralled to look out at the ocean, boats, gondolas and Channel Island type looking houses across the water with docked boats in their backyards. The room was perfectly clean, a decent size, nicely appointed and provided upscale coffee and tea samples, a small safe and stocked refrigerator. I found its location so truly memorable. The source of my joy was the location of this room and the attitude of most of the employees. They are definitely well trained.

I had dinner in the ground floor restaurant. The view is wonderful but my waiter after seating me never returned. Perhaps he went off shift or I was treated as a woman alone, I do not know. However a waitress in noticing this, brought me a huge fruit salad (gratis) as an amends. I thought it was most gracious and thoughtful as I had waited a long time. My food was not memorable but the waitress was exceptional.

The resort is thoughtful--providing a deli with terrific "to go" sandwiches" at a truly fair price. They also sold a variety of newspapers which I appreciated to just stay on site and enjoy the room's patio. On one side of the resort one can see this lovely little marina. On the other side of the resort there one can see a view of all of downtown San Diego across the water!! The resort provides a couple of Adirondack chairs there if one wishes to just sit and look out for a while.

I appreciated having the amenities I had while not feeling uncomfortable in casual clothes. I appreciated the warmth of so many of the staff. I appreciated the (for me) "to die for" views. I loved little touches like the Victorian birdhouse in a hallway and the outdoor herbal garden. These small things made it not seem like a generic hotel. Upon checking out in the morning, a manager was outside the resort in a suit and asked me: "Are you checking out? How was everything?" I could only express my gratitude for what I received for the money. I also was impressed that he does that. I would definitely return. Next time with my husband--to stay longer. I would definitely pay extra for an ocean view. It revolutionizes the whole experience.

Also, although I did not use it, there seem to be play rooms specifically for kids, teenagers which I found unusual.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2010
Thank you so very much for your kind comments about the resort.

I really do hope you will return soon and enjoy all the amenities we have to offer.

Kathleen Cochran

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!