“First stop in California” 4 of 5 stars

Summer Like a Local
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Missouri
“First stop in California”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

San Diego was the first stop for us on our honeymoon at the end of October. We were greeted with a warm reception by Billy ( I think that was his name, he was from Chicago). He was very helpful with ideas for things to do in the area and gave a quick run down on the property. We stayed in building 5. Our room had a bay view and was very quiet. We never heard noise from the military base, the bay or other rooms. Our room was very clean, nicely appointed. The property is about a 10 min drive from the center of Coronado island but we didn't feel like this was a problem. We could easily access shops, restaurants and the ferry to downtown San Diego. Loews Coronado does not charge resort fees but they will charge for self parking, $25/day. I can't comment on the restaurant or cafe because we only bought a couple of bottles of water. If we ever visit San Diego in the future we would definitely consider staying at the Loews.

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion it might help to mention it while you are making your rese...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Lowes to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When booking the reservation, I requested a deluxe king with full views of the bay and San Diego. Our room had a separate living room with a couch, television, and desk. Our patio was quite small, and it faced the hotel head on, and the bay to our right. From the patio, I cannot see the views of San Diego unless I stand up and go to the corner if the patio. The shower is very, very small! The hotel charges 30 dollars a day for valet parking, 25 for self park. Although I had a spa service, they charged my husband 10 to use the gym. As a hotel guest, I find that to be a bit tacky. While we had no real problems, I would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2013
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A very nice hotel located about 10 mins from the town center. They have a great coffee shop that's open 24 hours. Rooms were nice and the pool area looked great. The only problem besides the location is the military aircraft that seem to buzz the hotel often. The staff was great and very helpful and professional. The meals we had as part of the conference were very good and served by a great staff.

Room Tip: go for a poolside room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Moultrie, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I attended a business meeting here for a few days. I arrived early and had lunch in the Market. The food was good but a bit pricey. I was given a free room upgrade and allowed to check in a few hours early. I stayed in a bay view queen suite. The room was spacious, clean and up to date. I particularly enjoyed the Japanese soaking tub. The bathroom fixtures were a cut above what you would expect. The house keeping staff was very friendly and efficient. The balcony view was amazing. We had several meals catered during our meetings. I recommend the creme' brulee.
I liked the all glass shower but I noticed mine leaked onto the bathroom floor a bit, My room was very quiet.
The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. The common ares were immaculate.
I recommend using a shuttle service to and from the airport at $15 per trip plus tip...a bargain.
The pool was very nice and not too crowded. The beach was also very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Delafield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We loved our stay at Loews. Loved the proximity to the beach- which was essentially empty.
Loved the pool area. Super clean and attentive staff.
The lobby was gorgeous. And
the views were spectacular.
Two negatives- first, we were there for a week. And we never quite figured out how the shuttle service worked. Sometimes there was flexibility, and other times there wasn't. We had a particularly hard time with Wes. Talk about inflexible. The second negative, would be the cost of taxis to get anywhere. It is quite expensive so if you plan on eating out budget for it.

• Stayed October 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went here with my husband for our wedding anniversary.
Decided to go to this hotel based on a deal on Travelzoo and the pictures that were posted online. We stayed for 2 days in one of their King bed suites. However we expected a bit more when it came to the rooms. While they were spacious and clean they seemed somehow more like a giant hotel room rather than a suite where you would like to spend all day.
The windows were small, like in a regular room and the view was of the bay, but more of an side angle. The balcony wasn't very inviting either and in general the hotel seemed to be more catering towards a business/ conference clientele than a couple. The room felt "cold" and there wasn't anything homey about it. We have stayed in many resorts all around the world and were expecting something more from a suite.
The location on the Coronado Peninsula is great. You will certainly need a car, as otherwise your options in regards to dining and doing things are very limited.
The staff is super friendly and helpful. The room itself was spotless.
The layout of the hotel is a bit different as well. They have 5 buildings that are somehow built in a half circle and we stayed in building number 4. The walk to the Restaurants and the Reception is a bit longer. Parking is right under the building, which is convenient. Parking fee per night is around 25$ and the dining options are a bit on the steep side as well.
We actually found it more convenient to hop into our car and to drive for breakfast and dinner into Coronado.
All in all it was a good stay, but I would have opted for a less expensive room if I would have known how the suite looked like before. Not worth all the extra cash to be honest.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I would agree with others that the physical setting and room quality is excellent, knowing of course that you are somewhat isolated from the town of Coronado. However, like the majority of other resorts, their "add-on" pricing structure for what I consider necessities at a hotel these days is ridiculous. Parking is priced a bit lower that the "island proper" hotel parking rates, but I am old school and think parking should be provided free of charge. Definitely watch out for the Wi-Fi rates! They charge daily for each device, not per room! This could get to be expensive with a two cell phone, two iPad family.

Room Tip: Get a third floor room for a better view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!