“Ok, but not great” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Ok, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Lowes to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When booking the reservation, I requested a deluxe king with full views of the bay and San Diego. Our room had a separate living room with a couch, television, and desk. Our patio was quite small, and it faced the hotel head on, and the bay to our right. From the patio, I cannot see the views of San Diego unless I stand up and go to the corner if the patio. The shower is very, very small! The hotel charges 30 dollars a day for valet parking, 25 for self park. Although I had a spa service, they charged my husband 10 to use the gym. As a hotel guest, I find that to be a bit tacky. While we had no real problems, I would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A very nice hotel located about 10 mins from the town center. They have a great coffee shop that's open 24 hours. Rooms were nice and the pool area looked great. The only problem besides the location is the military aircraft that seem to buzz the hotel often. The staff was great and very helpful and professional. The meals we had as part of the conference were very good and served by a great staff.

Room Tip: go for a poolside room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Moultrie, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I attended a business meeting here for a few days. I arrived early and had lunch in the Market. The food was good but a bit pricey. I was given a free room upgrade and allowed to check in a few hours early. I stayed in a bay view queen suite. The room was spacious, clean and up to date. I particularly enjoyed the Japanese soaking tub. The bathroom fixtures were a cut above what you would expect. The house keeping staff was very friendly and efficient. The balcony view was amazing. We had several meals catered during our meetings. I recommend the creme' brulee.
I liked the all glass shower but I noticed mine leaked onto the bathroom floor a bit, My room was very quiet.
The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. The common ares were immaculate.
I recommend using a shuttle service to and from the airport at $15 per trip plus tip...a bargain.
The pool was very nice and not too crowded. The beach was also very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Delafield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at Loews. Loved the proximity to the beach- which was essentially empty.
Loved the pool area. Super clean and attentive staff.
The lobby was gorgeous. And
the views were spectacular.
Two negatives- first, we were there for a week. And we never quite figured out how the shuttle service worked. Sometimes there was flexibility, and other times there wasn't. We had a particularly hard time with Wes. Talk about inflexible. The second negative, would be the cost of taxis to get anywhere. It is quite expensive so if you plan on eating out budget for it.

• Stayed October 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went here with my husband for our wedding anniversary.
Decided to go to this hotel based on a deal on Travelzoo and the pictures that were posted online. We stayed for 2 days in one of their King bed suites. However we expected a bit more when it came to the rooms. While they were spacious and clean they seemed somehow more like a giant hotel room rather than a suite where you would like to spend all day.
The windows were small, like in a regular room and the view was of the bay, but more of an side angle. The balcony wasn't very inviting either and in general the hotel seemed to be more catering towards a business/ conference clientele than a couple. The room felt "cold" and there wasn't anything homey about it. We have stayed in many resorts all around the world and were expecting something more from a suite.
The location on the Coronado Peninsula is great. You will certainly need a car, as otherwise your options in regards to dining and doing things are very limited.
The staff is super friendly and helpful. The room itself was spotless.
The layout of the hotel is a bit different as well. They have 5 buildings that are somehow built in a half circle and we stayed in building number 4. The walk to the Restaurants and the Reception is a bit longer. Parking is right under the building, which is convenient. Parking fee per night is around 25$ and the dining options are a bit on the steep side as well.
We actually found it more convenient to hop into our car and to drive for breakfast and dinner into Coronado.
All in all it was a good stay, but I would have opted for a less expensive room if I would have known how the suite looked like before. Not worth all the extra cash to be honest.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I would agree with others that the physical setting and room quality is excellent, knowing of course that you are somewhat isolated from the town of Coronado. However, like the majority of other resorts, their "add-on" pricing structure for what I consider necessities at a hotel these days is ridiculous. Parking is priced a bit lower that the "island proper" hotel parking rates, but I am old school and think parking should be provided free of charge. Definitely watch out for the Wi-Fi rates! They charge daily for each device, not per room! This could get to be expensive with a two cell phone, two iPad family.

Room Tip: Get a third floor room for a better view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Spent 1 week at loews, on a conference. Fantastic views, great facilities, catered for events during conference were the best I have been to. Lovely pool areas and bar snacks tasty. Location of hotel means a car is essential, or bike hire, but would recommend for couples. Room was tired, but v clean, no smells of previous canine guests.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!