“Excellent & economical choice for families” 4 of 5 stars

Stay and Sail
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodland Park, Colorado
“Excellent & economical choice for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Reading all previous reviews, I booked a reservation with minor concerns about the quality we would experience for the cost and relative inconvenience of Loews' distance from downtown Coronado. We (2 adults, one eight-year-old) were pleasantly surprised at how much we loved this hotel, having stayed at an excellent (but pricey) Coronado hotel for many years in the past.
It is quite true that you will need a car to access this hotel or dine anywhere in the vicinity There are many affordable and excellent restaurants within 5 miles/ short drive. This wasn't a concern for us, as we always get a rental car in San Diego, and cars are pretty cheap in SAN compared to e.g. Denver. It is also true that parking is $20/night. However, if you book a special rate and add in what you will pay for parking for the entirety of your stay, you'll find that the total nightly rate is STILL cheaper than local competing hotels. Freebies such as beach chairs, pool & beach toys, umbrellas etc also add value because they cost a lot to rent. We also avoided the cost of incidentals by stopping at Von's market and buying breakfast food, snacks, drinks etc and placing them in a styrofoam cooler in our room. We took that cooler to the beach, too, it was very handy!
Our standard king room overlooked the pool area and was large, spotlessly clean and well-appointed. The air-conditioning worked well and we didn't experience any ambient noise in late August. Parking was in a covered garage, close to room & easy. The decor is modern, cool & inviting. The pool area is absolutely wonderful for families. Not as noisy as I'd feared, most folks are just enjoying themselves and children seemed pretty well-behaved. There are good drinks and snacks available poolside if you want to splurge. A nice touch is an adult-only pool & hot tub. I saw a staff member enforce this promptly (but politely), which was reassuring. The overall quality of customer service at Loew's was very good to excellent. Their personnel at all levels seem genuinely interested in the guests' comfort.
One additional consideration: the "incidentals deposit" per night here is sizable. It is equal to your nightly rate times the number of nights you are staying. This is refunded upon checkout minus any room charges you have incurred. So be sure to bring a credit card with a high limit. I used cash and was refunded on the spot upon checkout.
Overall we had a lovely time here and look forward to visiting again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the pool area might be quieter in peak season. If you make a room deposit wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel is a great getaway for family that live in Los Angeles!
There are tons of family activities and thing for the kids to do. Another bonus is this hotel is pet friendly, which u would never notice since it is impeccably clean.
The rooms are spacious and all have a nice view, one thing to keep in mind is the breeze way between each set of room creates an ideal environment for sound travel so if you don't want the entire world to hear your conversation, close your balcony door. We heard an entire fight a couple was having in a room across the breezy way from us. Other then the sound traveling I was very impressed and happy with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a very nice property. We were there for a conference and we got a special conference rate. Rooms were clean and quiet and i believe some of the rooms had views of the bay. I was looking into a bush and hot tub. Food was very good at one of the resturants and service was good but then no one was there.
My complaints are they have attrocious rates to go on the Internet and then we were charged $25 a day for parking. You pretty well have to have a car as there is nothing close by. They had some craft beers on the patio louge which we ordered a sampler tray. None are recommended and a couple are terrible.

Room Tip: I did not really have a good room but i heard from others there is some good views of the bay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I appreciate your review of the property and your experience throughout your stay. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the restaurants and had great service. I have forwarded your comments regarding craft beer options onto our director of F&B so he can review what is provided in the sampler tray. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chico, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed all over the world in everything from 2 stars to 6 stars. This is a not a 5 star resort, maybe a 3. The air conditioning in my room did not work, I had to call maintenance. There is nothing nearby you will need a car. In fact it is a 10 minute walk to the beach. If you do not have a car the only restaurant are in the hotel. Expensive dining. The resort is a little worn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We live in San Diego and were looking to get away from the office for a few days, but stay reasonably close to home. This resort is wonderful! The pool area is beautiful and staffed with great servers, the music played is relaxing and the pool towels and cushions are top-of-the-line.

The grand King room is very spacious with a view across the bay (we stayed on the 3rd floor). Our only complaint is the pillows had no support.

For those with romantic souls the Gondola Company is on the property and they offer gondola rides through the waterways of the Cays, some of those homes are amazing!

This property is down the strand, not in downtown, and it is a bit of a walk to the beach, but if you are looking for a beautiful property at a very reasonable price (for San Diego) then we suggest you consider the Loews Coronado.

Room Tip: We listened to other travelers and chose the 3rd floor, very good choice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m glad to hear you had a wonderful “staycation” with us. It’s always great to have some of the locals come out to enjoy the amenities especially the Gondola rides. Definitely romantic! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend, and I had a phenomenal time. Every member of staff was incredibly friendly and bent over backwards to make my stay awesome. The best surprise is eating at mistral. Our meal was unbelievable and super cheap. Could not recomend that restaurant any more!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Your kind comments regarding the staff will definitely be passed onto team as they take great pride in the service provided. I have forwarded your comments regarding Mistral onto our Mistral Chef and Manager so they may share your specific experience with their teams. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Normally, I wait until I check out of a hotel to submit a review so as to capture as many experiences as possible. This is the first time I have not waited because generally my first impression in 3 hours pretty much sums up this place: poorly trained staff, poor service and a bit outdated facility. I'll start with the arrival by taxi. No bell hop there to greet you. Now, I don't normally need help with luggage but it is a sign of a nicely run full service hotel to have that arrival experience. The registration desk was nice enough, but as I learned later, they forgot to give me the mini bar key and didn't offer any description of the property and amenities. Also, he never asked me if I needed help with my luggage -- do they even have bell hops here? I next went into the sundry shop for some suntan lotion and waited and waited for a clerk to show up so that I could pay for it. The guest in front of me had been there longer and finally left. My room is like the hotel property as a whole. Pretty dated with efforts to make a few modern updates here and there. The property's style reminds me of one of those older Courtyard hotels from the 80's. The room could be refreshed as the rug has several spots throughout -- mind you I have only been here a few hours and it was that noticeable. The desk in the room was not business friendly as there are no outlets for computers or recharging cell phones, only a power strip behind the TV stand that you have to pull out to use. They have made some effort to refresh the bathroom, but nothing special. Then comes the lunch episode. I arrive at 11 am local time with plans to do some work in the room before heading down to one of the advertised restaurants for lunch. I get to Market at 12 noon, the doors are open and there is a sign that says please wait to be seated. So I wait and wait just like the sundry shop and no one comes. I go into the restaurant and find a waiter on the patio serving a couple and ask if they are open. He says no -- hmm, why is this couple out there. He points me in the direction of their take a way stand which does not have many appetizing options. Apparently the lobby bar is closed too, and I am later told they don't start serving food unti 2 pm. I ask the conceirge for assistance and he points me in the direction of the pool restaurant, which is no restaurant. Just a cliche pool bar with a few cheap rounds about. This would be fine if you were at the pool in a wet swimsuit, but not for someone at the hotel for a business meeting. So I decide to order room service and I am told it would be a 45 minute wait for a salad. Question -- your hotel is fully booked with a lot of people coming for a business meeting and apparently they all want lunch, so why don't you have one of your two full service restaurants open? While I wait, I consider raiding the mini bar for potato chips but find it locked. So now I wait for the bar key to be brought to my room. Finally, 45 minutes later I get my salad (mind you, nothing had to be cooked for it) and they forgot the salad dressing. And it is a rather bland room service presentation with no thought or effort put into it, not even bread for the salad. When I call down to request the salad dressing the women argues with me about whether they forgot it. Then, I ask about bringing some bread, too, and learn that I was supposed to ask for it if I wanted it the first time -- hmm, wouldn't it be good customer service to ask the guest if they would like some bread with their salad? So, at 1:15 I finally get to eat lunch...and it is pretty damn average and expensive. Just like this hotel. Don't be deceived by the pretty Internet pages, this place needs some work and is over priced for what you do get. If it wasn't for my meeting being here, someone else paying for the room and the hotel's remote location (nothing waking distance) with no rental car, I would be checking out right about now.

• Stayed September 2013
I am in receipt of your survey regarding your stay with us here at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was anything but luxurious and I would like to personally apologize for the issues encountered throughout our resort especially in regards to the first 3 hours of your arrival. We take pride in providing our guests with impeccable service and it is evident that on this occasion we fell short. It would be a pleasure to speak to you on the issues you mentioned so that I may rectify situation and renew your trust in us as a hospitality provider. If you should choose to do so please feel free to contact hotel directly and ask for Front Office Manager.

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!