“Conference” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton
“Conference”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a very nice property. We were there for a conference and we got a special conference rate. Rooms were clean and quiet and i believe some of the rooms had views of the bay. I was looking into a bush and hot tub. Food was very good at one of the resturants and service was good but then no one was there.
My complaints are they have attrocious rates to go on the Internet and then we were charged $25 a day for parking. You pretty well have to have a car as there is nothing close by. They had some craft beers on the patio louge which we ordered a sampler tray. None are recommended and a couple are terrible.

Room Tip: I did not really have a good room but i heard from others there is some good views of the bay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I appreciate your review of the property and your experience throughout your stay. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the restaurants and had great service. I have forwarded your comments regarding craft beer options onto our director of F&B so he can review what is provided in the sampler tray. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Chico, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed all over the world in everything from 2 stars to 6 stars. This is a not a 5 star resort, maybe a 3. The air conditioning in my room did not work, I had to call maintenance. There is nothing nearby you will need a car. In fact it is a 10 minute walk to the beach. If you do not have a car the only restaurant are in the hotel. Expensive dining. The resort is a little worn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We live in San Diego and were looking to get away from the office for a few days, but stay reasonably close to home. This resort is wonderful! The pool area is beautiful and staffed with great servers, the music played is relaxing and the pool towels and cushions are top-of-the-line.

The grand King room is very spacious with a view across the bay (we stayed on the 3rd floor). Our only complaint is the pillows had no support.

For those with romantic souls the Gondola Company is on the property and they offer gondola rides through the waterways of the Cays, some of those homes are amazing!

This property is down the strand, not in downtown, and it is a bit of a walk to the beach, but if you are looking for a beautiful property at a very reasonable price (for San Diego) then we suggest you consider the Loews Coronado.

Room Tip: We listened to other travelers and chose the 3rd floor, very good choice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m glad to hear you had a wonderful “staycation” with us. It’s always great to have some of the locals come out to enjoy the amenities especially the Gondola rides. Definitely romantic! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend, and I had a phenomenal time. Every member of staff was incredibly friendly and bent over backwards to make my stay awesome. The best surprise is eating at mistral. Our meal was unbelievable and super cheap. Could not recomend that restaurant any more!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Your kind comments regarding the staff will definitely be passed onto team as they take great pride in the service provided. I have forwarded your comments regarding Mistral onto our Mistral Chef and Manager so they may share your specific experience with their teams. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Normally, I wait until I check out of a hotel to submit a review so as to capture as many experiences as possible. This is the first time I have not waited because generally my first impression in 3 hours pretty much sums up this place: poorly trained staff, poor service and a bit outdated facility. I'll start with the arrival by taxi. No bell hop there to greet you. Now, I don't normally need help with luggage but it is a sign of a nicely run full service hotel to have that arrival experience. The registration desk was nice enough, but as I learned later, they forgot to give me the mini bar key and didn't offer any description of the property and amenities. Also, he never asked me if I needed help with my luggage -- do they even have bell hops here? I next went into the sundry shop for some suntan lotion and waited and waited for a clerk to show up so that I could pay for it. The guest in front of me had been there longer and finally left. My room is like the hotel property as a whole. Pretty dated with efforts to make a few modern updates here and there. The property's style reminds me of one of those older Courtyard hotels from the 80's. The room could be refreshed as the rug has several spots throughout -- mind you I have only been here a few hours and it was that noticeable. The desk in the room was not business friendly as there are no outlets for computers or recharging cell phones, only a power strip behind the TV stand that you have to pull out to use. They have made some effort to refresh the bathroom, but nothing special. Then comes the lunch episode. I arrive at 11 am local time with plans to do some work in the room before heading down to one of the advertised restaurants for lunch. I get to Market at 12 noon, the doors are open and there is a sign that says please wait to be seated. So I wait and wait just like the sundry shop and no one comes. I go into the restaurant and find a waiter on the patio serving a couple and ask if they are open. He says no -- hmm, why is this couple out there. He points me in the direction of their take a way stand which does not have many appetizing options. Apparently the lobby bar is closed too, and I am later told they don't start serving food unti 2 pm. I ask the conceirge for assistance and he points me in the direction of the pool restaurant, which is no restaurant. Just a cliche pool bar with a few cheap rounds about. This would be fine if you were at the pool in a wet swimsuit, but not for someone at the hotel for a business meeting. So I decide to order room service and I am told it would be a 45 minute wait for a salad. Question -- your hotel is fully booked with a lot of people coming for a business meeting and apparently they all want lunch, so why don't you have one of your two full service restaurants open? While I wait, I consider raiding the mini bar for potato chips but find it locked. So now I wait for the bar key to be brought to my room. Finally, 45 minutes later I get my salad (mind you, nothing had to be cooked for it) and they forgot the salad dressing. And it is a rather bland room service presentation with no thought or effort put into it, not even bread for the salad. When I call down to request the salad dressing the women argues with me about whether they forgot it. Then, I ask about bringing some bread, too, and learn that I was supposed to ask for it if I wanted it the first time -- hmm, wouldn't it be good customer service to ask the guest if they would like some bread with their salad? So, at 1:15 I finally get to eat lunch...and it is pretty damn average and expensive. Just like this hotel. Don't be deceived by the pretty Internet pages, this place needs some work and is over priced for what you do get. If it wasn't for my meeting being here, someone else paying for the room and the hotel's remote location (nothing waking distance) with no rental car, I would be checking out right about now.

• Stayed September 2013
I am in receipt of your survey regarding your stay with us here at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was anything but luxurious and I would like to personally apologize for the issues encountered throughout our resort especially in regards to the first 3 hours of your arrival. We take pride in providing our guests with impeccable service and it is evident that on this occasion we fell short. It would be a pleasure to speak to you on the issues you mentioned so that I may rectify situation and renew your trust in us as a hospitality provider. If you should choose to do so please feel free to contact hotel directly and ask for Front Office Manager.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spent 6 nights with my sister and my two nephews (ages 2 and 5). I would not recommend this hotel as kid friendly. The concierge rarely looked up from his computer to acknowledge people. You felt as if you were bothering him when you approached the desk. We got a visit at 8:45pm from the front desk saying the kids were being to loud running around in the room and the couple below us had complained. The next night at 7:45pm the people below us yelled from their balcony for the kids to be quiet they were trying to sleep. We were on the balcony blowing bubbles. Truly bitter experience for the kids. Didn't hear us complaining having to breath in their second hand smoke all afternoon. The kids were afraid to walk around the room after or go on the balcony because they were afraid they would get in trouble. This is not something children should be worried about at the ages of 2 and 5 or in a hotel that advertising to be kid friendly!

The room's are starting to look very dated. The bedding and towels were stained. The rugs are worn and dingy looking. Bathtub is old. The girl at the front desk who checked us in was completely clueless and didn't even give us a parking key, which we got attitude about trying to leave the parking lot the next day. The movies we tried to order wouldn't work and they had to send a repair technician up. The hotel did comp the movies after, which was nice.

The good points - Silver Strand Beach is beautiful and nice to have close access. The cleaning staff was very friendly and helpful. They always made sure to say a greeting to both myself and the children when we passed in the hallway and the room was spotless each day. The valet and the bell hop were also very friendly and helpful. They also talked with the kids and made them feel welcome. Room service was also very good. The kids loved they could get PB & Jelly sandwiches.

I've stayed at the Lowes in Santa Monica as well with the kids and I will say that Loews Coronado has a long way to go if they want to advertise the place as being kid friendly. If you have kids I would not recommend this hotel. If you are a couple looking for a nice get away, by all means this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We completed 5 night stay at Loews after extensive searching in the general San Diego area and overall this hotel was a solid choice. Upon arrival we were greeted by valet and doorman offered beverages and shown the front desk area. I originally booked a Luxury double but really wanted some more space while we were there and unfortunately nothing else was available. This was understandable as their annual Dog surfing competition was happening this week. Well up to the room and was standard double room size a nice furnished balcony large bathroom and a somewhat disapointing view. We went exploring and located the teen lounge, arcade, pool area, laundry and my kids loved the wonderful bird cage. Overall we had a wonderful stay at this hotel and loved the setting and beach across the street. Loews pool scene is great for kids/families and wish we would have spent more time there.

I do plan on returning to this property next September and we are all looking forward to spending quality time here.

Hotel:
Great location for relaxation and family time. The hotel is all on its own but that is what we wanted/needed.
Wonderful ocean within a 5 minute walk no car needed as they will take you over via golf cart.
Nice garden areas.
Complimentary laundry is on site.
Valet parking is available and they do a good job.
Top notch concierge.

Room:
Standard double.
Overall clean room but housekeeping missed a few obvious items daily for 5 nights.
Nice colors.
Nice bathroom.

Restraunt:
Nice lobby bar lounge.

Not so good's.
Booked a luxury water view and received a somewhat underwhelming view.
The prices for food in the café are insanely high for simple cafe food.
I was there 5 nights and the coffee barista let me know on my 5th day that coffee came with free refills why she did not tell me on day two is beyond me? 5-6 coffee's a day for our room this would have helped.

Room Tip: Top floor is a must. Complimentary laundry is on site. Coffee refills are complimentary at the l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!