“You Can Do Much Better Than This Overpriced Dated Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Stay and Sail
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“You Can Do Much Better Than This Overpriced Dated Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Normally, I wait until I check out of a hotel to submit a review so as to capture as many experiences as possible. This is the first time I have not waited because generally my first impression in 3 hours pretty much sums up this place: poorly trained staff, poor service and a bit outdated facility. I'll start with the arrival by taxi. No bell hop there to greet you. Now, I don't normally need help with luggage but it is a sign of a nicely run full service hotel to have that arrival experience. The registration desk was nice enough, but as I learned later, they forgot to give me the mini bar key and didn't offer any description of the property and amenities. Also, he never asked me if I needed help with my luggage -- do they even have bell hops here? I next went into the sundry shop for some suntan lotion and waited and waited for a clerk to show up so that I could pay for it. The guest in front of me had been there longer and finally left. My room is like the hotel property as a whole. Pretty dated with efforts to make a few modern updates here and there. The property's style reminds me of one of those older Courtyard hotels from the 80's. The room could be refreshed as the rug has several spots throughout -- mind you I have only been here a few hours and it was that noticeable. The desk in the room was not business friendly as there are no outlets for computers or recharging cell phones, only a power strip behind the TV stand that you have to pull out to use. They have made some effort to refresh the bathroom, but nothing special. Then comes the lunch episode. I arrive at 11 am local time with plans to do some work in the room before heading down to one of the advertised restaurants for lunch. I get to Market at 12 noon, the doors are open and there is a sign that says please wait to be seated. So I wait and wait just like the sundry shop and no one comes. I go into the restaurant and find a waiter on the patio serving a couple and ask if they are open. He says no -- hmm, why is this couple out there. He points me in the direction of their take a way stand which does not have many appetizing options. Apparently the lobby bar is closed too, and I am later told they don't start serving food unti 2 pm. I ask the conceirge for assistance and he points me in the direction of the pool restaurant, which is no restaurant. Just a cliche pool bar with a few cheap rounds about. This would be fine if you were at the pool in a wet swimsuit, but not for someone at the hotel for a business meeting. So I decide to order room service and I am told it would be a 45 minute wait for a salad. Question -- your hotel is fully booked with a lot of people coming for a business meeting and apparently they all want lunch, so why don't you have one of your two full service restaurants open? While I wait, I consider raiding the mini bar for potato chips but find it locked. So now I wait for the bar key to be brought to my room. Finally, 45 minutes later I get my salad (mind you, nothing had to be cooked for it) and they forgot the salad dressing. And it is a rather bland room service presentation with no thought or effort put into it, not even bread for the salad. When I call down to request the salad dressing the women argues with me about whether they forgot it. Then, I ask about bringing some bread, too, and learn that I was supposed to ask for it if I wanted it the first time -- hmm, wouldn't it be good customer service to ask the guest if they would like some bread with their salad? So, at 1:15 I finally get to eat lunch...and it is pretty damn average and expensive. Just like this hotel. Don't be deceived by the pretty Internet pages, this place needs some work and is over priced for what you do get. If it wasn't for my meeting being here, someone else paying for the room and the hotel's remote location (nothing waking distance) with no rental car, I would be checking out right about now.

• Stayed September 2013
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I am in receipt of your survey regarding your stay with us here at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was anything but luxurious and I would like to personally apologize for the issues encountered throughout our resort especially in regards to the first 3 hours of your arrival. We take pride in providing our guests with impeccable service and it is evident that on this occasion we fell short. It would be a pleasure to speak to you on the issues you mentioned so that I may rectify situation and renew your trust in us as a hospitality provider. If you should choose to do so please feel free to contact hotel directly and ask for Front Office Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spent 6 nights with my sister and my two nephews (ages 2 and 5). I would not recommend this hotel as kid friendly. The concierge rarely looked up from his computer to acknowledge people. You felt as if you were bothering him when you approached the desk. We got a visit at 8:45pm from the front desk saying the kids were being to loud running around in the room and the couple below us had complained. The next night at 7:45pm the people below us yelled from their balcony for the kids to be quiet they were trying to sleep. We were on the balcony blowing bubbles. Truly bitter experience for the kids. Didn't hear us complaining having to breath in their second hand smoke all afternoon. The kids were afraid to walk around the room after or go on the balcony because they were afraid they would get in trouble. This is not something children should be worried about at the ages of 2 and 5 or in a hotel that advertising to be kid friendly!

The room's are starting to look very dated. The bedding and towels were stained. The rugs are worn and dingy looking. Bathtub is old. The girl at the front desk who checked us in was completely clueless and didn't even give us a parking key, which we got attitude about trying to leave the parking lot the next day. The movies we tried to order wouldn't work and they had to send a repair technician up. The hotel did comp the movies after, which was nice.

The good points - Silver Strand Beach is beautiful and nice to have close access. The cleaning staff was very friendly and helpful. They always made sure to say a greeting to both myself and the children when we passed in the hallway and the room was spotless each day. The valet and the bell hop were also very friendly and helpful. They also talked with the kids and made them feel welcome. Room service was also very good. The kids loved they could get PB & Jelly sandwiches.

I've stayed at the Lowes in Santa Monica as well with the kids and I will say that Loews Coronado has a long way to go if they want to advertise the place as being kid friendly. If you have kids I would not recommend this hotel. If you are a couple looking for a nice get away, by all means this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We completed 5 night stay at Loews after extensive searching in the general San Diego area and overall this hotel was a solid choice. Upon arrival we were greeted by valet and doorman offered beverages and shown the front desk area. I originally booked a Luxury double but really wanted some more space while we were there and unfortunately nothing else was available. This was understandable as their annual Dog surfing competition was happening this week. Well up to the room and was standard double room size a nice furnished balcony large bathroom and a somewhat disapointing view. We went exploring and located the teen lounge, arcade, pool area, laundry and my kids loved the wonderful bird cage. Overall we had a wonderful stay at this hotel and loved the setting and beach across the street. Loews pool scene is great for kids/families and wish we would have spent more time there.

I do plan on returning to this property next September and we are all looking forward to spending quality time here.

Hotel:
Great location for relaxation and family time. The hotel is all on its own but that is what we wanted/needed.
Wonderful ocean within a 5 minute walk no car needed as they will take you over via golf cart.
Nice garden areas.
Complimentary laundry is on site.
Valet parking is available and they do a good job.
Top notch concierge.

Room:
Standard double.
Overall clean room but housekeeping missed a few obvious items daily for 5 nights.
Nice colors.
Nice bathroom.

Restraunt:
Nice lobby bar lounge.

Not so good's.
Booked a luxury water view and received a somewhat underwhelming view.
The prices for food in the café are insanely high for simple cafe food.
I was there 5 nights and the coffee barista let me know on my 5th day that coffee came with free refills why she did not tell me on day two is beyond me? 5-6 coffee's a day for our room this would have helped.

Room Tip: Top floor is a must. Complimentary laundry is on site. Coffee refills are complimentary at the l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and i spent 6 nights at Loews with a group of friends. The hotel complex is large with 5 buildings of hotel rooms plus some conference rooms; big pool area (3 pools actually - kid pool, family pool and adult pool); nice fitness facility; water sports service; good restaurants on property; very nice lobby bar with indoor and outdoor seating areas. Our group was able to negotiate a reduced room rate as well as free in-room internet access and free use of the fitness area.

The hotel is located on the quiet bay-side of the Coronado peninsula. It is a short walk, maybe 5 minutes to Silver Strand beach. We walked the beach 2 or 3 times every day. The bell hops will also give you and your family a ride to the beach on a golf cart if you like - and provide chairs and umbrellas.

Breakfast was good and reasonably priced. We usually had lunch by the pool - the crab cake sandwich was yummy. Wait staff around the pool were friendly. We went into Coronado or San Diego for dinner.

We rented Stand Up Paddleboards (SUP) at the water sports desk. They were $20/hr and we got a quick lesson that gave us confidence. The calm bay was a great place to try these out. We also took advantage of spinning class and beach boot camp - cost was $10 per person per class. The instructors were friendly and experienced. They also had bikes for rent.

They have a Starbucks in the lobby - open 24/7 - the friendly staff knew what we wanted for coffee after the second morning!

Room Tip: You will hear pool noise in rooms that over look the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Located at the southern end of the Coronado Island, access to the famous beautiful Pacific (Coronado) beach (use the tunnel to avoid walking across the 4 lane road), and views of downtown San Diego from some rooms. The staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean offering excellent beds, extra pillows, plenty of towels and lanais. There is a fee for parking (both self-parking and valet) however you will need a car to get to downtown Coronado or anywhere else. This is a quality hotel we have enjoyed a couple times.

Room Tip: Upper floor with San Diego views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PALM SPRINGS, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This resort offers a lot of options--however it is one of those "once you are there places" as it is a bit isolated from stores But if you are looking for a relaxing get-away, this is it--reasonable food for the Market Café which is open 24/7. As far as rooms, the small private villas or bungalows that line the waterfront are the best--avoid #7101 as it's large deck is exposed to parking lot and pedestrian traffic. Room 8101 is nice. Dog friendly too! Rooms are spacious, fairly clean and have nice decks overlooking the Bay.

Room Tip: Avoid 7101, 8101 is more private as is 8106.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
crawley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel at the start of June. Overall we found the Hotel and resort to be lovely,it's just a shame it felt like you was being ripped off for your money at every available opportunity. The room was a very nice size with a fantastic Bathroom and shower and the view wasn't too bad. What was annoying was the fact the room did have a built in fridge but you had to PAY a daily fee to use it ...$10 if i recall. Surely a fridge in a hotel room in this day and age should be included in the price of the room?? Also beware the "welcoming gifts" in the room...the lovely looking little boxes of nuts are actually $8 dollars each as are the bottles of water,the brand name escapes me now but we did see the same size bottles of the same brand for less than $2.50 in most of the local shops/supermarkets.

In general we found the prices of everything to be bordering on extortionate...$6.50 each for a cookie ice cream biscuit ( to put this into context we had a similar ice cream plus a large drink each at Seaworld, where you expect to pay over the top, for under $10)...Coffee from the take out place was $8...where even at the Hotel Del Corando it was $5.50....you get my drift here. Its a shame Hotels try to con you out of so much money as it would be nice to try their lovely looking restaurants but with the prices they were asking its just not justifiable.

The two big bug bearers, from our point of view was the $25 a day charge for self parking and the $10 charge for the Gym. I knew in advance about the car parking fee but even adding that to the cost of the hotel, the deal we got through Expedia was still considerably cheaper. Its just that given the location of the resort, you have to have a car to be able to access it, so you really do feel resentful pulling into the hotel every day when you return.I missed the daily charge for the Gym when making the booking, had I noticed that the gym wasn't complimentary then given the parking fee,and the location( not really on a beach of its own and the one on the other side of the main road wasn't particularly nice) we definitely would not of chosen to stay here.

It was quite a horrible feeling,to be staying in a hotel and to feel priced out of everything,that's not why you go away on holiday.

I would say to anyone that if you have money to burn, or the company are paying for your stay, then this would be a great hotel, but if you have an average budget,or kids that like a beach, then this is def not the hotel for you to stay out.

P.s....The adult only poor wasn't really adult only as everyday when we was around the pool their were always children in it,and at weekends they have a DJ playing music which frankly was just irritating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!