“Lovely Resort....but PRICEY!!!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
crawley
“Lovely Resort....but PRICEY!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel at the start of June. Overall we found the Hotel and resort to be lovely,it's just a shame it felt like you was being ripped off for your money at every available opportunity. The room was a very nice size with a fantastic Bathroom and shower and the view wasn't too bad. What was annoying was the fact the room did have a built in fridge but you had to PAY a daily fee to use it ...$10 if i recall. Surely a fridge in a hotel room in this day and age should be included in the price of the room?? Also beware the "welcoming gifts" in the room...the lovely looking little boxes of nuts are actually $8 dollars each as are the bottles of water,the brand name escapes me now but we did see the same size bottles of the same brand for less than $2.50 in most of the local shops/supermarkets.

In general we found the prices of everything to be bordering on extortionate...$6.50 each for a cookie ice cream biscuit ( to put this into context we had a similar ice cream plus a large drink each at Seaworld, where you expect to pay over the top, for under $10)...Coffee from the take out place was $8...where even at the Hotel Del Corando it was $5.50....you get my drift here. Its a shame Hotels try to con you out of so much money as it would be nice to try their lovely looking restaurants but with the prices they were asking its just not justifiable.

The two big bug bearers, from our point of view was the $25 a day charge for self parking and the $10 charge for the Gym. I knew in advance about the car parking fee but even adding that to the cost of the hotel, the deal we got through Expedia was still considerably cheaper. Its just that given the location of the resort, you have to have a car to be able to access it, so you really do feel resentful pulling into the hotel every day when you return.I missed the daily charge for the Gym when making the booking, had I noticed that the gym wasn't complimentary then given the parking fee,and the location( not really on a beach of its own and the one on the other side of the main road wasn't particularly nice) we definitely would not of chosen to stay here.

It was quite a horrible feeling,to be staying in a hotel and to feel priced out of everything,that's not why you go away on holiday.

I would say to anyone that if you have money to burn, or the company are paying for your stay, then this would be a great hotel, but if you have an average budget,or kids that like a beach, then this is def not the hotel for you to stay out.

P.s....The adult only poor wasn't really adult only as everyday when we was around the pool their were always children in it,and at weekends they have a DJ playing music which frankly was just irritating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Loews Coronado in March. The hotel is nice enough with a pretty view of the bay, but in my opinion it was in an out of the way location. If you stay here, you will need to have a rental car or plan on using public transportation. It is not any easy walk to anything, except an area of beach that doesn't have much going for it. Again, the hotel was nice, but I would prefer to stay inland where we could walk to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this lovely resort. Everyone on the staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. The rooms are large with nice balconies. We stayed in room 1325 which has a very nice view (although distant) of San Diego and the Coronado bridge and, of course, Coronado Bay. Parking is located beneath the hotel with easy access to elevators. No need for valet parking unless you prefer it. There are several restaurants in the hotel, a quick market for snacks and sodas and small clothing store. We didn't eat at the hotel because we were only here overnight and wanted to try a Coronado restaurant. There's a very popular level walking/biking path nearby that runs the length of Coronado island. We've always wanted to use it, but haven't been fortunate to stay here long enough to do so. It's definitely in our future plans as I understand the hotel will arrange for bike rentals. If there is a downside, it would only be the fact that although the bathroom was spacious, the shower was tiny. But that's a small thing and shouldn't deter anyone from staying here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Prescott
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a fine establishment set between the bay and ocean. Outstanding customer service from all of the staff, which is primary reason for the rating. We took advantage of the complimentary shuttle (SUV) service to and from town and golf cart shuttle to and from the beach. Food was very good overall. This resort has many amenities and services offered, which most, but not all, as stated by others, can nickel-and-dime you to eternity. We found much information online from the resort representatives and other reviews. While it is expensive for many, do extensive research ahead of time and just enjoy the experience. For us it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed 9 nights at Loews Coronado Bay, we still like the location and the fact that the hotel is dog friendly, but there are some cons as well. Fees: $25 self parking, $30 valet parking, $10 Fitness Center, $8 bottle of water on the room, $25 pet fee per night (used to be $25 per stay!), fridge $10 per day, microwave $10 per day, wireless internet $13.....well you get the idea. Staff is friendly and food on site is ok. Main issue for us was the housekeeping, I don't want to go into details here but it was not good at all! In general the property is in need of some renovations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent two nights at this resort and fell in love! The view was beautiful, the facilities were spacious and also beautiful. The restaurant food was good and the service was great. We brought our dog and felt very welcome with her there. We had no idea where this place was and were pleasantly surprised with the location and how close it was to the Hotel Del and downtown Coronado. We loved it so much we plan on spending two nights there every year for my birthday!

Room Tip: Starbucks in the lobby :0)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Foothill Ranch, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Last minute arrangements for a room and a cabana by the pool, turned out to be very nice for us. We arrive and the doorman, the bellman are very respectful and helpful. check in was very easy and my wife asked about an upgrade that was on are reservation, the young lady looked into it and we got a view overlooking the pool and the bay. great view. But when we got to the room we notice that the hair dryer was out, Odd I thought. The bellman said it should have been put in a bag on the bathroom door, he put it away. But we were just happy to be there and out of the heat that I did not look away much, besides this is a 5 star place. we went out onto the balcony and had a few beers and order some food from the pool side kitchen and enjoyed the view. the food was good and hit the spot. then we went to the patio that looks out into San Diego bay and had a few drinks and watch the sunset and the light of SD come on. the fireworks from the SD stadium went off and we knew it was time for bed. So back to the room got ready for bed and went to sleep with dreams of thee cabana and the pool the next day. I am the first to wake up. I go in the bathroom to do my thing (witch takes awhile) I am looking a round and Notice that the shower stuff in the shower are used, then I think about the day before. when I washed my hand the day before the soap was not wrapped up, the bath mate was on the floor, now the shower stuff is used. very, very odd. I ask my wife if when we got there she unwrapped the soap, No she did not. Light bulb goes off in my head this was an upgrade to a dirty room. I call house keeping and let them know that things are not right. the House keeping Manager come up to take a look at the room with the maid she starts apologizing for the room and tells me to talk to the manager of the place. so after they clean the place me and my wife shower and pack are bags. (we are leaving after we use the cabana for the day) So we go down to check out and ask to talk to the manager. Very Nice man. we let him know what was happening in his place, we are not mad, we like the place. Great Views, Nice people,... He say let me check into this and he would get back to use. We inform him that we real like the place and that we will be her next year, he ask when, we say the same time next year. He say like see want I can do to get you a place for the same time.
we inform him that we will be by the pool all day in cabana no. 2. so come out with use and puts in a good work to the pool manager and buys us a bucket of beer, that was nice but not needed. the pool manager get his best person to take care of us. Brando takes very good care of use for the rest of the day. the Manager comes out and says he has looked into the room problem and is very sorry for the mishap and say that he will take care of are bar tap from last night get an upgrade for next year.
I like to inform the manager when I get good service or when things are wrong. I do not expeat them to do so much to compensate.
Sometimes you just have to take some bad to get to the very good stuff.
Frank

Room Tip: book early and ask for an upgrade. I liked the room over looking the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!