“Nice Hotel in the Wrong Place” 3 of 5 stars

Pick Your Park
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Nice Hotel in the Wrong Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Loews Coronado in March. The hotel is nice enough with a pretty view of the bay, but in my opinion it was in an out of the way location. If you stay here, you will need to have a rental car or plan on using public transportation. It is not any easy walk to anything, except an area of beach that doesn't have much going for it. Again, the hotel was nice, but I would prefer to stay inland where we could walk to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1,528 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this lovely resort. Everyone on the staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. The rooms are large with nice balconies. We stayed in room 1325 which has a very nice view (although distant) of San Diego and the Coronado bridge and, of course, Coronado Bay. Parking is located beneath the hotel with easy access to elevators. No need for valet parking unless you prefer it. There are several restaurants in the hotel, a quick market for snacks and sodas and small clothing store. We didn't eat at the hotel because we were only here overnight and wanted to try a Coronado restaurant. There's a very popular level walking/biking path nearby that runs the length of Coronado island. We've always wanted to use it, but haven't been fortunate to stay here long enough to do so. It's definitely in our future plans as I understand the hotel will arrange for bike rentals. If there is a downside, it would only be the fact that although the bathroom was spacious, the shower was tiny. But that's a small thing and shouldn't deter anyone from staying here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Prescott
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a fine establishment set between the bay and ocean. Outstanding customer service from all of the staff, which is primary reason for the rating. We took advantage of the complimentary shuttle (SUV) service to and from town and golf cart shuttle to and from the beach. Food was very good overall. This resort has many amenities and services offered, which most, but not all, as stated by others, can nickel-and-dime you to eternity. We found much information online from the resort representatives and other reviews. While it is expensive for many, do extensive research ahead of time and just enjoy the experience. For us it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed 9 nights at Loews Coronado Bay, we still like the location and the fact that the hotel is dog friendly, but there are some cons as well. Fees: $25 self parking, $30 valet parking, $10 Fitness Center, $8 bottle of water on the room, $25 pet fee per night (used to be $25 per stay!), fridge $10 per day, microwave $10 per day, wireless internet $13.....well you get the idea. Staff is friendly and food on site is ok. Main issue for us was the housekeeping, I don't want to go into details here but it was not good at all! In general the property is in need of some renovations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent two nights at this resort and fell in love! The view was beautiful, the facilities were spacious and also beautiful. The restaurant food was good and the service was great. We brought our dog and felt very welcome with her there. We had no idea where this place was and were pleasantly surprised with the location and how close it was to the Hotel Del and downtown Coronado. We loved it so much we plan on spending two nights there every year for my birthday!

Room Tip: Starbucks in the lobby :0)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Foothill Ranch, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Last minute arrangements for a room and a cabana by the pool, turned out to be very nice for us. We arrive and the doorman, the bellman are very respectful and helpful. check in was very easy and my wife asked about an upgrade that was on are reservation, the young lady looked into it and we got a view overlooking the pool and the bay. great view. But when we got to the room we notice that the hair dryer was out, Odd I thought. The bellman said it should have been put in a bag on the bathroom door, he put it away. But we were just happy to be there and out of the heat that I did not look away much, besides this is a 5 star place. we went out onto the balcony and had a few beers and order some food from the pool side kitchen and enjoyed the view. the food was good and hit the spot. then we went to the patio that looks out into San Diego bay and had a few drinks and watch the sunset and the light of SD come on. the fireworks from the SD stadium went off and we knew it was time for bed. So back to the room got ready for bed and went to sleep with dreams of thee cabana and the pool the next day. I am the first to wake up. I go in the bathroom to do my thing (witch takes awhile) I am looking a round and Notice that the shower stuff in the shower are used, then I think about the day before. when I washed my hand the day before the soap was not wrapped up, the bath mate was on the floor, now the shower stuff is used. very, very odd. I ask my wife if when we got there she unwrapped the soap, No she did not. Light bulb goes off in my head this was an upgrade to a dirty room. I call house keeping and let them know that things are not right. the House keeping Manager come up to take a look at the room with the maid she starts apologizing for the room and tells me to talk to the manager of the place. so after they clean the place me and my wife shower and pack are bags. (we are leaving after we use the cabana for the day) So we go down to check out and ask to talk to the manager. Very Nice man. we let him know what was happening in his place, we are not mad, we like the place. Great Views, Nice people,... He say let me check into this and he would get back to use. We inform him that we real like the place and that we will be her next year, he ask when, we say the same time next year. He say like see want I can do to get you a place for the same time.
we inform him that we will be by the pool all day in cabana no. 2. so come out with use and puts in a good work to the pool manager and buys us a bucket of beer, that was nice but not needed. the pool manager get his best person to take care of us. Brando takes very good care of use for the rest of the day. the Manager comes out and says he has looked into the room problem and is very sorry for the mishap and say that he will take care of are bar tap from last night get an upgrade for next year.
I like to inform the manager when I get good service or when things are wrong. I do not expeat them to do so much to compensate.
Sometimes you just have to take some bad to get to the very good stuff.
Frank

Room Tip: book early and ask for an upgrade. I liked the room over looking the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent 4 nights with our family at Loews. We enjoyed most of our stay but would not be returning for few reasons. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
~ Nice lobby area and great views of the bay
~ The hotels has access to many activities (renting bikes, boats, jet skis etc.)
~ Service was great from the valet to the servers at the restaurant
~ Great activities for kids

CONS
~ Very long wait to get a crib that we requested (2 hours and several phone calls) - although we were there over labor day weekend so the hotel was very busy
~ The location is very far from the center of Coronado. We had a car so it was convenient to leave but I WOULD NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL if you don't have a car or other means of transportation
~ Laundry machine is free but TERRIBLE.
~ Food options are very limited and very mediocre food for the cost - again, the importance of having a car to try other restaurants in Coronado
~ They have Starbucks options at the 24/7 market but it was terrible coffee
~ Beach is far enough away that you need a golf cart to drop you off which makes it quite inconvenient.
~ Pool seems quite cramped especially when it's crowded

TIP
~ Valet is only $5 more per day compared to self park. I would highly recommend valet parking if you have your own car

Overall, I wouldn't stay again due to the location. We regretted not staying at the Hotel del Coronado for the location and the beautiful beach access.

Room Tip: Building 4 and 5 are very far from the lobby. Try to get a room in buildings 1,2, and 3.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!