“Beautiful location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lakeland, Florida
“Beautiful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was here for a conference and the location could not be more scenic. The rooms were well appointed and the pool area was very nice. The prices were a little high for food and drinks, but that comes with the location. I will say that you really should rent a car if staying here because taxis are very expensive and the hotel is not close to anything. But downtown Coronado is a great little place and worth a visit or two.

Room Tip: Rent a car!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Saint Helena, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here with my two kids and wasint thrilled. I actually wanted to check out the moment I stepped onto the property! I stayed in a suite and stayed bayside in one of the casitas on a three day trip. I feel the pictures make the place better than it really is as the pool area is small and the entryway is not that "wow". For as much money that I spent I would have expected turndown service or at least a newspaper but I did not. I even asked for turndown service and nobody showed up! I was never given a gate key nor bar key at arrival. None of the restaurants were available for sit down dining as there was a convention going on and only could get something at the coffee bar. I complained to the bartender mid trip and he says usually the front desk sends upset guests to him with a free drink ticket and apparently he is giving out free drinks a lot. I would stay down the street at the famous hotel next time. Ending on a positive note, the staff was VERY friendly and think this would be a safe bet for company functions.

Room Tip: Casita on the bay is great for the view and you get huge balcony with a dining table and lounge chai...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First off, let me commend the wonderful staff at Loews. EVERYONE who helped us was wonderful and really made our stay one of the highlights of our trip. After a hectic trip to Disneyland, Legoland and other hotels, it was nice to stay somewhere where we call just relax.
Our standard room was huge with a roomy balcony by the pool and a great big bathroom. Very roomy for our little family of 4. Our kids took full advantage of the great pools (and great service by the Cantina) as we ended up spending most of our time there than anywhere else in Coronado or San Diego. They have tons of activities for the kids (but again, we were mostly by the pool) and even had night swimming with a movie. Very cool! Another cool feature - golf cart transportation to the beach across the street. What made that even bettter was the fact that they had staff at the beach that would hand out beach essentials (chairs, umbrellas, towels, beach toys, etc.). The beach itself was nice and most of the people on the beach were hotel guests which meant it wasn't overcrowded. The property is very well maintained and the lobby is simply beautiful.

I've told my husband that anytime we take a trip to Coronado or San Diego, it's a must that we stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in mid-August. We booked our room via Hotwire after we did a little research to narrow it to this hotel and one other. We won this hotel, and I can say it was a decent stay. For the price we paid on hotwire it was a worthwhile value. If we had paid full price I may not feel the same. Here is our general review:

Location: Located on the southern end of the Coronado island. You have to drive through the hustle and bustle of "downtown" Coronado to get on/off the island each time. The Loews is a little bit out of the way, but I guess that makes it a little quieter and since we had a car it was not a problem. if we were going without a car a hotel right near the Coronado village would have probably been better.

Rooms: The rooms are decent. Beach theme. Since it was our anniversary they upgraded us to a "pool view room" which was 1st floor right next to pool. Good think pool closes earlier because it was a little noisy and probably not ideal overlooking the crowd of people. Similar to other complaints on this board the A/C units were definitely noisy. Also, another slight gripe of mine is they only had 2 pillows on a king sized bed. We stayed at two other hotels during our west coast swing and the others both had at least 4.

Food: We did not eat at the property, everything seemed really expensive (including the in-room options) so we brought snacks in and had dinner in Coronado (found some really great places). No fridge in room, ice maker on our floor was broken.

Pool: The pool itself was nice but cold. Not sure if it was the weather or just lack of heat in the pool. This is probably common place for California but it was too cold for our liking to swim. Also, there were a number of pool chairs around the pool but the "reserved" cabanas are a little ridiculous. My wife and I went out near the pool one afternoon and it was full - no chairs available, so we sat down at chairs in front of one of the cabanas that were empty but available to be "reserved". After about 45 minutes one of the cocktail waitresses came over and told us those chairs were only for people who reserved the cabanas. By that time luckily other chairs were open so we moved. I understand the desire to rent the cabanas, but if no takers why not let people sit there as opposed to not having anywhere to sit? Apparently they would rather collect the money than have happy guests who have a place to sit. Awesome.

Beach: they do have a nice shuttle that runs to/from the beach on the pacific. We took it over one day and they have towels/chairs for people to borrow. Surprised they actually let you borrow for free as opposed to charging - seems to be counter all the other decisions they have made on property to charge for each and every thing.

Service: All the employees we encountered were very friendly. Check-in was very help as was the beach chair/towel guy. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations on restaurants - concierge was helpful.

Overall it was a good stay and we would recommend this place if you were going to be in Coronado and wanted to do pool/beach. In future if we did return to San Diego we would likely not choose Coronado, we enjoyed it there but we spent a large portion of our time away from room anyway and we'd probably stay up near La Jolla or somewhere else, Also, if in Coronado there may be something to be said about being at a hotel closer to the downtown - not sure how their beach/pool are but certainly within walking distance of downtown Coronado may be advantageous.

Room Tip: Let then know if a special occassion.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We really can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was here. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was a great place to do just that. A huge thank you to Jason (front desk manager) and Jonathan (front desk) for making our stay so special. We had an incredible view! Complimentary crib delivered to our room for our baby was a plus. We loved the complimentary beach shuttle an being able to use the resorts beach supplies (complimentary towels, chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards) without hauling it back and forth very far. The pool was really nice along with the complimentary items they offer through the day. Our room was beautiful and tasteful. Yeah, it's a little outside of downtown coronado, but that was nice to be secluded in an area that was more quiet, surrounded by water. There is a complimentary shuttle that takes you into town too. We didn't mind paying parking fee because we got so many other perks for free. We ate at the cafe a few times- prices were decent and food was good. This place was perfect for us and we hope to return again soon!

• Stayed August 2013
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Loews is absolutely beautiful. The staff was very accomodating and not in the least bit "snobby". Even though there were dogs and children at the hotel, it was quiet, clean, and so well put together. We opted for a full bay-view room which was worth every penny; the sunsets were incredible! The Market Cafe had a great breakfast which was reasonable as resorts go. My husband and I rented a jetski for an hour which was super fun and we pretty much had the whole bay to ourselves. The only downfall of the location is that you do need to coordinate transportation carefully... if you want to have dinner in Gaslamp, you need to take the shuttle from the hotel to the ferry landing, take the ferry across the bay, and be back in time for the last shuttle pick up at 9:15pm. Otherwise a cab is over $50 (and you can't drink and drive, of course!) Overall though, the resort itself is perfect for a couple's getaway or a family vacation. Lots for everyone to do and resort-style surroundings.

Room Tip: Choose a full bay view, and try and stay 3 nights, you will receive a 20% discount. If you call for...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Yokosuka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A couple of months ago I wrote a very negative review about this resort regarding my experience with my children and friends during Mother's Day Brunch. Today I'm writing to say how impressed I am with the resort's staff, particularly Ms. Kim Dopulos, Director of Banquets. I had written them a letter telling them how disappointed I was with the service they provided. To my surprised, I received a phone call less than 24 hours after they received the letter from Ms. Dopulos. She went above and beyond to apologize on behalf of her company and to figure out how to rectify the situation. I was very impressed with her professionalism and the pride she has with her job providing the best customer service. Ms. Dopulos is an amazing employee and I hope Loews Resort knows what a gem they have with her. Thank you, Ms. Dopulos for all that you've done for my family. I know you didn't have to pay attention to my complaints and I truly appreciate that you did anyway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!