“Decent place” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Decent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in mid-August. We booked our room via Hotwire after we did a little research to narrow it to this hotel and one other. We won this hotel, and I can say it was a decent stay. For the price we paid on hotwire it was a worthwhile value. If we had paid full price I may not feel the same. Here is our general review:

Location: Located on the southern end of the Coronado island. You have to drive through the hustle and bustle of "downtown" Coronado to get on/off the island each time. The Loews is a little bit out of the way, but I guess that makes it a little quieter and since we had a car it was not a problem. if we were going without a car a hotel right near the Coronado village would have probably been better.

Rooms: The rooms are decent. Beach theme. Since it was our anniversary they upgraded us to a "pool view room" which was 1st floor right next to pool. Good think pool closes earlier because it was a little noisy and probably not ideal overlooking the crowd of people. Similar to other complaints on this board the A/C units were definitely noisy. Also, another slight gripe of mine is they only had 2 pillows on a king sized bed. We stayed at two other hotels during our west coast swing and the others both had at least 4.

Food: We did not eat at the property, everything seemed really expensive (including the in-room options) so we brought snacks in and had dinner in Coronado (found some really great places). No fridge in room, ice maker on our floor was broken.

Pool: The pool itself was nice but cold. Not sure if it was the weather or just lack of heat in the pool. This is probably common place for California but it was too cold for our liking to swim. Also, there were a number of pool chairs around the pool but the "reserved" cabanas are a little ridiculous. My wife and I went out near the pool one afternoon and it was full - no chairs available, so we sat down at chairs in front of one of the cabanas that were empty but available to be "reserved". After about 45 minutes one of the cocktail waitresses came over and told us those chairs were only for people who reserved the cabanas. By that time luckily other chairs were open so we moved. I understand the desire to rent the cabanas, but if no takers why not let people sit there as opposed to not having anywhere to sit? Apparently they would rather collect the money than have happy guests who have a place to sit. Awesome.

Beach: they do have a nice shuttle that runs to/from the beach on the pacific. We took it over one day and they have towels/chairs for people to borrow. Surprised they actually let you borrow for free as opposed to charging - seems to be counter all the other decisions they have made on property to charge for each and every thing.

Service: All the employees we encountered were very friendly. Check-in was very help as was the beach chair/towel guy. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations on restaurants - concierge was helpful.

Overall it was a good stay and we would recommend this place if you were going to be in Coronado and wanted to do pool/beach. In future if we did return to San Diego we would likely not choose Coronado, we enjoyed it there but we spent a large portion of our time away from room anyway and we'd probably stay up near La Jolla or somewhere else, Also, if in Coronado there may be something to be said about being at a hotel closer to the downtown - not sure how their beach/pool are but certainly within walking distance of downtown Coronado may be advantageous.

Room Tip: Let then know if a special occassion.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We really can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was here. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was a great place to do just that. A huge thank you to Jason (front desk manager) and Jonathan (front desk) for making our stay so special. We had an incredible view! Complimentary crib delivered to our room for our baby was a plus. We loved the complimentary beach shuttle an being able to use the resorts beach supplies (complimentary towels, chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards) without hauling it back and forth very far. The pool was really nice along with the complimentary items they offer through the day. Our room was beautiful and tasteful. Yeah, it's a little outside of downtown coronado, but that was nice to be secluded in an area that was more quiet, surrounded by water. There is a complimentary shuttle that takes you into town too. We didn't mind paying parking fee because we got so many other perks for free. We ate at the cafe a few times- prices were decent and food was good. This place was perfect for us and we hope to return again soon!

• Stayed August 2013
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Loews is absolutely beautiful. The staff was very accomodating and not in the least bit "snobby". Even though there were dogs and children at the hotel, it was quiet, clean, and so well put together. We opted for a full bay-view room which was worth every penny; the sunsets were incredible! The Market Cafe had a great breakfast which was reasonable as resorts go. My husband and I rented a jetski for an hour which was super fun and we pretty much had the whole bay to ourselves. The only downfall of the location is that you do need to coordinate transportation carefully... if you want to have dinner in Gaslamp, you need to take the shuttle from the hotel to the ferry landing, take the ferry across the bay, and be back in time for the last shuttle pick up at 9:15pm. Otherwise a cab is over $50 (and you can't drink and drive, of course!) Overall though, the resort itself is perfect for a couple's getaway or a family vacation. Lots for everyone to do and resort-style surroundings.

Room Tip: Choose a full bay view, and try and stay 3 nights, you will receive a 20% discount. If you call for...
Yokosuka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A couple of months ago I wrote a very negative review about this resort regarding my experience with my children and friends during Mother's Day Brunch. Today I'm writing to say how impressed I am with the resort's staff, particularly Ms. Kim Dopulos, Director of Banquets. I had written them a letter telling them how disappointed I was with the service they provided. To my surprised, I received a phone call less than 24 hours after they received the letter from Ms. Dopulos. She went above and beyond to apologize on behalf of her company and to figure out how to rectify the situation. I was very impressed with her professionalism and the pride she has with her job providing the best customer service. Ms. Dopulos is an amazing employee and I hope Loews Resort knows what a gem they have with her. Thank you, Ms. Dopulos for all that you've done for my family. I know you didn't have to pay attention to my complaints and I truly appreciate that you did anyway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the Loews Coronado Resort for seven nights during August 2013. I was traveling with my husband and two sons, ages 11 and 14. We had a fabulous room with a great view at a great price. There was no shortage of things to do. I did yoga every morning. We tried stand-up paddle boarding for the first time, we kayaked and played tennis. The concierge was very helpful when we wanted to go out exploring to other beaches. The pool area is fun with great frozen drinks, ping pong, and a GREAT poolside "street tacos". There are so many "pros" for this hotel. My only "con" was The Sea Spa. I got a massage. I will say it was disproportionately expensive compared to the rest of the hotel. In addition, while my masseuse was very good, she did not complete a full-body massage within the 50 min time period for which I paid. This has never happened to me before. It seemed as though she did not plan her time accordingly. Overall this was an excellent vacation and much of it was due to the great staff at the hotel: Austin our waiter at the Mistral restaurant was great and Rosie the yoga teacher (took five classes) was so wonderful!

I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: I would request a non-pool view room. We had a partial bay view and it was amazing!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Coronado is a wonderful place. Loews is a bit remote but well worth the quiet.
The pools are great and the service is wonderful and friendly though and through.
They do charge for parking which is a crime..../$25 a day???? PLEASE.
We will return, as it was a great experience for relaxation. The shuttle is a good service as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is great to hear you were able to utilize our pool facilities and had wonderful interaction with our service friendly team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

9th to 12th August 2013
We thought this Hotel was very impressive with a fantastic position on its own peninsula, a marina at the front and a fantastic view of the bay at the rear.
The Hotel provide a "free" shuttle to & from the beach and also into Coronado itself - we found these very useful.
Very efficient check in / out
A Concierge service second to none in particular from Elizabeth who could not have done more, just ask and it is done including great activity ideas and tickets to local attractions.
There was plenty of underground parking with lift access to the Hotel above.
Our room was immaculate and well appointed with use of fridge, Tea / Coffee provided and a balcony overlooking the pool area.
The main bar was very well stocked - Tip (if available) try their infused rum, we had pineapple / vanilla and make sure you ask for at least one chunk of pineapple. Good Bar menu as well.
On the Sunday evening we dined in the Mistral restaurant - we found the service impeccable and the three course meal first class.
We would highly recommend this resort hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s wonderful to hear of your experience in all areas of our resort. Your review is very well detailed from the amenities we offer to the service provided especially that of our concierge Elizabeth. I will be sharing this review with her. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so you may enjoy another pineapple and vanilla infused rum.

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!