“I really loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Stay and Sail
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“I really loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week for a conference and loved it. First off, I sprained my ankle on arrival in San Diego and had to go to the hospital first. The hotel shuttle picked me up from the hospital and brought me to the hotel, then the staff was unbelievably helpful and accommodating since I was on crutches and in pain and couldn't carry anything. Throughout the week I found the staff to be responsive, quick, accommodating and friendly. My room was lovely, as was my view out onto the pool. The location is beautiful and the views amazing. I highly recommend this hotel and would welcome the chance to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident when you arrived to San Diego. It’s great that the staff took such great care of you and was very responsive. They take pride in providing great customer care and I will share this review with entire team so they may see how their actions positively impacted your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a girls trip the weekend of June 29. I've never stayed in such a loud, noisy hotel that was this expensive per night. It is very over rated and not worth the money. Woke up each morning to sliding furniture, stomping, loud talking, it almost seemed the kitchen was above our room. I will not return there are too many nice places to stay in San Diego to put up with this.

• Stayed June 2013
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel 5-10 minute drive from actual coronado village...
when booking hotel i registered for 4 guests 2 adults 2 children - they gave me 2 rooms...said they only allowed 3 guests per room - so i booked one room with king bed assuming there would be at least a pull out couch...no couch just a small chair...when checking in staff said they would send up a rollaway bed - it never came...
room service food was horrible...
self parking $25!!! crazy...
hotel lobby and cafe set up strange (no flow-crowded) and very loud...
big disappointment...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our stay here was the second part of our California trip. We had just stayed at a gorgeous Disneyland hotel when we checked in to the Loews. In comparison, I was not impressed with this one. The rooms were average, as was the view of the bay from the room. Dirty grout lines in a hotel really bother me and this hotel is full of them! The shower, the bathroom floor and tub all needed a deep cleaning. There was mold around the shower because the water often leaked out. The tub was yellowing and did not look appealing, we never used it except to wash out sandy shoes from the beach.
The hotel is very pet-friendly, which is great except I think there should be clearly labeled separate pet towels because every once in a while I grabbed a towel that vaguely smelled of pet odor. Gross.
As mentioned in other reviews, everything is expensive. Bring your own bottled water if you can because they definitely make some good money there. The cafe is also average, but pricey. Service at the restaurant was very slow. We sat there for over and hour and half one night waiting for our food and then our ticket.
You can walk almost a mile to the beach or they have a free golf cart shuttle. We took the golf cart shuttle, but had a few negative experiences. The first time we went a young girl was the driver. She chatted on a two-way radio while a few families were loading and decided to take off without warning or looking back at us. My 6-year-old son had just stepped on with one foot when she took off. Luckily, my husband grabbed his arm and yelled for her to stop. She apologized, but seemed shocked that we thought she made a mistake. My husband spoke with a manager about the situation back at the hotel and all seemed well, but on another day we were on the shuttle coming back from the beach and a young male driver hit the side of a gate. Again, we were all fine and he apologized and told us it was his first time driving the golf cart!
Overall, the staff was friendly and courteous, but due to the price, location and cleanliness of this Loews I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

At a last minute decision, it was a choice between the 'Del' and Loews Bay-front Resort. We choose wisely. Our afternoon to post fireworks displays was spent on the outside patio of Cays lounge. It was a combination 4th of July and my pre-birthday celebration. The ambient view looking north and panning east to west was spectacular.

Our cocktail waitress was Rebeca Fataroo; she gave her superior attention to our choice of craft beer, fine wine and a tasty margarita. 'Becky' has great people skills and was so gracious to our entourage.

We stayed the night and accommodation was pleasant.

Room Tip: Just about every hotel room has a view of San Diego Bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your visit with us and had such a wonderful 4th of July & pre-birthday celebration. I will pass on this review with Rebecca and share your kind comments with her. We look forward to welcoming you back soon or next 4th of July!!!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

If this is the only Loews you have ever stayed at, you may enjoy it. If you have stayed at other Loews properties then you should know they stand for a higher caliber, this hotel does not feel like it was up to par with the chain. After working, then driving in from Arizona, I arrive at 9 pm. To be told there would be no hot water until 9 am tomorrow. SO I just worked, drove and feel gross and I can't shower. you've got to be kidding me, he then offers me a room that housekeeping will be in, that you can sign up 5-10 minute blocks and that room has hot water. SO basically back to being the days of a backpacker staying in hostels. If this was a hostel, I would think nothing of it. This is supposed to be a luxury resort. I sent a very strongly worded letter to the management which in all fairness they personally called me the next day to offer half off one of my room nights. not much of an apologie, especially with how blase their whole staff was about it.... so on to the norm:

PROS:
Beautiful, (but slightly outdaded) property
nice meeting space.
close access to the beach and the cornado Quays
large spacious room

CONS:
-room was not overly clean, just saw lots of little flaws in their cleaning issues.
-Stupidest thing on the planet, towels are by the sink, in another room outside of the shower room, so if you don't look and or bring a towel with you, you have to get out and tromp across a floor. This would be so embarrassing if say traveling with crew members, either way, it was a huge annoyance. Worst part is they have the ability to hang a towel in the shower room, they just don't.
-parking fee, outrageous. billed like you are in manhattan, or maybe middle of san diego, out there, this is ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous pricing for the location.
-location, yes they have shuttles to cornada, and yes they have shuttles to the beach, but unless you want some solitude and not going anywhere, this hotel is far enough away from everything that it sucks.
-because it is so far away, they got you, they know it, so want a small bottle of wine, $50. THe little bottles. not a full size not the middle size the little ones.... all the food at the cafe was pricey, i paid 12 dollars for a sandwich, (which is actually not bad) but it was so mediocre.
-blase attitude of the staff, sorry the bars closed, no water, sorry theres no shower, no water, sorry no food service, no water. so are you going to compensate me? i can validate your parking. (I had a large truck so it had to be parked outside the property at just a few dollars more) So he couldn't do that, and that's where it ended, no trying... just blase.... Shy of being sent there for work, I can not imagine anything that would make me want to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our 10th year anniversary and it was a disapointment from the moment we checked in. We reserved a room with ocean views and got a partial view. The hotel showed us a nicer room and then told us it was not available! Big disapointment! The service at the restaurant is horrible. We waited over an hour for our check. I know service is bad when I feel it would be faster for me to serve myself! I feel ripped off. Total waste of my time and 500 bucks! You will be better off staying at a motel.

• Stayed July 2013
I am in receipt of your survey regarding your stay with us here at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was anything but luxurious and I would like to personally apologize for the issues encountered throughout our resort especially in regards to room mix-up and poor restaurant service. We take pride in providing our guests with impeccable service and it is evident that on this occasion we fell short. It would be a pleasure to speak to you on the issues you mentioned so that I may rectify situation and renew your trust in us as a hospitality provider. If you should choose to do so please feel free to contact hotel directly and ask for Front Office Manager.

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!