“overall, i do not recommend this property.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“overall, i do not recommend this property.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

If this is the only Loews you have ever stayed at, you may enjoy it. If you have stayed at other Loews properties then you should know they stand for a higher caliber, this hotel does not feel like it was up to par with the chain. After working, then driving in from Arizona, I arrive at 9 pm. To be told there would be no hot water until 9 am tomorrow. SO I just worked, drove and feel gross and I can't shower. you've got to be kidding me, he then offers me a room that housekeeping will be in, that you can sign up 5-10 minute blocks and that room has hot water. SO basically back to being the days of a backpacker staying in hostels. If this was a hostel, I would think nothing of it. This is supposed to be a luxury resort. I sent a very strongly worded letter to the management which in all fairness they personally called me the next day to offer half off one of my room nights. not much of an apologie, especially with how blase their whole staff was about it.... so on to the norm:

PROS:
Beautiful, (but slightly outdaded) property
nice meeting space.
close access to the beach and the cornado Quays
large spacious room

CONS:
-room was not overly clean, just saw lots of little flaws in their cleaning issues.
-Stupidest thing on the planet, towels are by the sink, in another room outside of the shower room, so if you don't look and or bring a towel with you, you have to get out and tromp across a floor. This would be so embarrassing if say traveling with crew members, either way, it was a huge annoyance. Worst part is they have the ability to hang a towel in the shower room, they just don't.
-parking fee, outrageous. billed like you are in manhattan, or maybe middle of san diego, out there, this is ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous pricing for the location.
-location, yes they have shuttles to cornada, and yes they have shuttles to the beach, but unless you want some solitude and not going anywhere, this hotel is far enough away from everything that it sucks.
-because it is so far away, they got you, they know it, so want a small bottle of wine, $50. THe little bottles. not a full size not the middle size the little ones.... all the food at the cafe was pricey, i paid 12 dollars for a sandwich, (which is actually not bad) but it was so mediocre.
-blase attitude of the staff, sorry the bars closed, no water, sorry theres no shower, no water, sorry no food service, no water. so are you going to compensate me? i can validate your parking. (I had a large truck so it had to be parked outside the property at just a few dollars more) So he couldn't do that, and that's where it ended, no trying... just blase.... Shy of being sent there for work, I can not imagine anything that would make me want to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our 10th year anniversary and it was a disapointment from the moment we checked in. We reserved a room with ocean views and got a partial view. The hotel showed us a nicer room and then told us it was not available! Big disapointment! The service at the restaurant is horrible. We waited over an hour for our check. I know service is bad when I feel it would be faster for me to serve myself! I feel ripped off. Total waste of my time and 500 bucks! You will be better off staying at a motel.

• Stayed July 2013
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am in receipt of your survey regarding your stay with us here at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was anything but luxurious and I would like to personally apologize for the issues encountered throughout our resort especially in regards to room mix-up and poor restaurant service. We take pride in providing our guests with impeccable service and it is evident that on this occasion we fell short. It would be a pleasure to speak to you on the issues you mentioned so that I may rectify situation and renew your trust in us as a hospitality provider. If you should choose to do so please feel free to contact hotel directly and ask for Front Office Manager.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Strictly as a standalone property, Loews Coronado Bay Resort is large, lovely and....lonesome. Let me explain. The property is large and contains many different styles of room configurations in various price ranges to accommodate couples, families or larger groups. The grounds & property were lovely & seemed very well maintained. We thought our room was nicely appointed and we enjoyed a view of the marina and the bay in the distance. There seemed to be adequate parking for each of the 5 buildings that contain the guest rooms (and all were connected so you can walk completely inside to get from your car to the main lobby, etc.) There is a very nice view of San Diego to be enjoyed when you take a stroll around the resort. The landscaping/flowers, etc. were kept neat and helped to give a certain luxury resort feel. You can take a gondola ride, participate in various water sports, rent a bike, there are organized activities for kids, and the pools and tennis courts looked nice. The restaurants were satisfactory (I'll review Mistral separately).

I say that the resort is lonesome because it's completely isolated from Coronado and its shops & restaurants, and there's little to do or see within walking distance of the resort, except for Silver Strand State Beach, which is a short 10 minute walk. Although there is a shuttle available to take people into Coronado, you really must have a car if you wish to have the freedom to enjoy things outside of the resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. We appreciate your detailed review of the property and many of the amenities we offer. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the property and the beautiful scenery. You are correct in our shuttle offerings that run hourly into downtown Coronado however if a vehicle is needed we do have car rentals available on property. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sonoma, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was here three months ago....The resort is beautiful. I was here for a work conference and used it more as a hotel than a resort. It's really spread out and it was a bit of a walk back and forth to my room. But the room was very nice. Great bed and bathroom was great. Super nice tub! All staff members were friendly. On the day I was leaving we were sitting at the lobby bar around noon. The bartender made me something that I asked for that he had never made. He was a great sport about it and did a great job. All of the food that I had while here was very good. Pool area was lovely, but I didn't get to indulge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort even if it was 3 months ago. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and were able to experience our friendly staff and our new lobby bar. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can “indulge” more at the pool!
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have traveled all over the world but rarely have found a more accommodating, gracious, genuinely warm and friendly staff who are genuinely interested in providing the best service possible, comfort, and a good time for their guests. I did not experience the "nickle and dime" hustle described by other reviewers here (ensuite wireless access charges are routine in hotels these days and there was free access in the lobby and with one's smart phone). It is fairly remote so if you are there without a car, you can feel stranded. On the other hand it is fairly inexpensive to rent a bike and go for a beautiful ride along the water. The rooms are comfortable, clean and the house keeping efficient, responsive, and thorough.

The concierge, Elizabeth, went above and beyond to help me, so I did not have to be interrupted while dining with friends, going on line herself to check me in to my flight-- from her own home computer (?!). Michael Oldfield, a banquet manager, had a piece of chocolate cake sent up to my room when I could not stay for a conference dinner one night, a gesture way more delicious than the cake itself. (Oh, and Go Giants!). Every single staff person went out of the way to make my stay more pleasant. As a northern California snob, it made me seriously reconsider my bias (or hesitate, anyway).

Depends what you are looking for of course, but this is a great place for families, certainly. Also very comfortable for a conference or couples. If you are trying to get away for a solo weekend, I would hesitate. But for the unbearably loud pool side DJ blaring bad music all afternoon on Saturday, (while I was there for a conference) I would stay here again for a vacation at the Loews Coronado Bay in a heart beat. If anything it makes me want to check out the other Loews even though we are loyal Starwood Preferred Guests.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor if possible, and spend the extra to face the Bay side, unless you don't mi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. We truly appreciate your detailed review and your comments regarding staff mainly Elizabeth and Michael are very kind. I shared your review with both team members and they were very appreciative. When Michael read the “Go Giants” part he started laughing. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had two nights in the San Diego area and I booked a 'grand room' as I wanted to relax with a view of the bay. What we got far exceeded expectation! The view was the best feature. The hotel staff were amazing - courteous and friendly, The hourly shuttle service to Coronado was a plus (thanks Dan!) and we were able to get a tour of San Diego, shopping and restaurants from there. That said, the hotel itself was the highlight - just to relax there at the pool, take in the view and enjoy the outdoor retaurant area was enough for me. One of my best experiences travelling in the USA.

Room Tip: Bay-facing rooms on the upper levels of Block 2 possibly have the best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The resort is in a fantastic location with incredible views everywhere. Food is excellent, but pricey, at all of the restaurants. Spa is great. Rooms are nice but hotel is old so walls are thin...only negative...had horrible neighbors the first night. Staff is very personable; all-in-all a great stay.

Room Tip: For less neighbor noise, and awesome view, ask for bay view room at very end of hall.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!