“Nothing special but nice” 4 of 5 stars

Pick Your Park
Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Nothing special but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Nice clean, modern resort, lots of amenities. The staff are probably their best feature, the service was exceptionally good.
Nice clean pools and hot tubs. A little way from town but it was worth the trip. Kayak rentals are just across the road and they were a pretty good deal!
If you go into town you must eat at the burger lounge - best salad I ever ate!!!

Room Tip: They are all pretty good unless you are a light sleeper in which case pick a room away from the pool...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

1,307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Lowes Coronado resort and Spa for 6 nights last week. It is a lovely resort with everything you need for a relaxing stay. Be prepared to have lots of extras to add to your bill - $12 a day for internet in your room - free in the lobby, $25 a night parking - ridiculous, $15 for an hour of tennis, $10 to use the gym per day. We had an issue with my son's room, the stuffing in his thin duvet was black and rotten, he called the front desk and after waiting half an hour at 1am for someone to come to change the bedding, was told that was how it should be! he argued the issue as the other bed in the room and our bed did not have the same problem, we felt he was dealt with badly due to his age - he is 19. After complaining to the hotel manager he was given a $30 credit towards food in the market restaurant. On our first 2 nights the hotel had to turn off the water supply due to repairs, we went out for dinner with friends and left our son and a friend at the hotel, they went to buy food from the Market Restaurant and was told he could not order food as they had not water, he asked if he could order in a pizza and was told to do it from his room or use his cell phone! he didn't want to do either as he knew we would be charged and didn't feel we should be, he asked the concierge to order for him and after a fight she eventually did. The next morning I checked and I had been charged for the call, on complaining to the hotel they eventually gave me a credit for the call, a free movie for the boys and a $50 credit for food. We really felt that the hotel was trying to squeeze as much money out of every guest as possible, the staff were very friendly and helpful and eager to please but the extra costs were very unnecessary - we stayed in Vegas for a couple of days prior at a 5 star hotel, free parking, free internet, free gym and sports and the hotel was full. Loews - you can do better.

Room Tip: All rooms are well positioned
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are looking for a resort for the family with kids, this is the place to be. The Hotel Del is great as well and worth staying once for the nostaglic implications, but our first trip to Loews was perfect for our family get away and we will be back.
What they get right:
- Much better pool area than the Del for the kids. Heated nicely with no time restrictions. Don't worry about the pool noise if you have a pool view room...we didn't notice any. Lots of chairs, so you don't need to get out there early to stake out a seat. There is pool basketball and volleyball. Nice hot tub.
- Our kids loved playing the oversized chess and connect four. There are also several ping pong tables near the pool area that are fun for everyone.
- Easy use of water rental activities. We rented two kayaks and had a great time. Reasonable rates now, but going any higher would be a mistake. Power boats, sail boats, jet skiis, paddle boats, etc were all available. They make the whole process very easy, even for the novice.
- Nice room. Large room and very nice bath area. Definitely four star. Pool view on third level was outstanding. Great balcony...larger than most resorts. Do consider paying the extra $10 for a fridge if you have your own car and can pick up some provisions and beverages. Not being dog lovers we were concerned about getting a room that smelled like dog, but that was not an issue as rooms for pets were contained to a seperate building that we requested not to be in.....no problem. We did see a few dogs, but not a big deal at all.
- They engage your kids from the start with a scavenger hunt with a free treat from the To Go Market when they are done. We also used the game arcade....small but a few fun games. There is a kids club and a teen lounge, but we had so much to do that we didn't have time.
- The four row golf cart shuttle to the beach was super easy and convienent. They set us up with a free umbrella, chairs, towels, and body boards. We had a great time at the beach.
- The To Go Market was at the high end of reasonable, but the breakfast sandwiches were tasty and convienent.
What they didn't get right for us:
- May have been the worst pillows we have ever had at a hotel. Kids decided to just sleep without a pillow.
- The pool area food was very good tasting, but this was the one and only time we felt gouged money wise. Portions were very small and the prices way to high, so we only did it one time.
- Dinner at the restaurant overlooking the bay wasn't properly staffed. The staff they had was very friendly and working hard, but there just wasn't enough staff to handle the volume. Dinner food was tasty and reasonably priced, but took at least 45 minutes longer than it should have taken. An hour and forty five minutes to eat dinner was more than our kids could handle. We chose to drive elsewhere after the first night.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level room for better views of either the pools or the bay. Make sure to request a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Thank you for the detailed review and I’m happy we met many of your expectations however I’d like to apologize for the areas in which we lacked in service especially in regards to wait time for food. 45 minutes is an extended amount of time for dinner and I will share these comments with our Executive Chef so he may address with team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We chose this resort for a 5 day stay based upon many of the favourable "family reviews" we read here an elsewhere. To start with, I do believe this is a nice spot for a family vacation. Staff are friendly and usually quite responsive to requests.

I think the problem with this place is that EVERY little thing is a "pay" service, but that's not really where my problem started.

We arrived at about 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon. Prior to our arrival, I had called the hotel and requested an early check-in and I was told at the time that although they could not guarantee me an early check-in, they would try to accommodate our needs.

Upon arrival, I was told our upgraded (Bay View) room was not ready and that we could leave our bags with the bellman and look around the resort (or get some food) and they would call my cell phone to let me know when our room was ready.

We had lunch at the pool side restaurant, La Cantina while we were waiting. We took our time but to no avail, no call was made.

By 3:30pm and with 2 small children in tow, we wanted our room so we went back to front desk and were advised it still wasn't ready but would be shortly. 35 minutes later (4:05pm), the room was ready. I asked if our bags would be brought to our room and gave the hotel clerk our bag claims check. He said the bags would be "right up".

One hour later, our bags had not arrived. It was now 5:05pm and I went to the lobby to find my bags sitting unattended on a cart. I grabbed them with my 7 year old and started back to my room. After having second thoughts, I asked for a manager and spoke to Julius. After voicing my concerns, Julius agreed to waive the $25 per day parking for my car (a nice gesture).

With that episode out of the way, I can tell you that the hotel is nice. Not superb, just nice. I've been to much nicer and I've been to much worse, this place firmly sits in the "average" range. The rooms are average sized and fairly clean, although there is a strong scent in the rooms I have never smelled in an ocean resort before.

The restaurants are all good and I think the prices are fair, given where you are and the level of service.

The staff throughout the hotel are very courteous and kind. They are probably the best part of the hotel.

My one big pet peeve (other than how we started our stay) was that everything here is a "pay" service. Want WiFi? 12.99 per day!!!

Parking you say? $25 per day.

Internet lounge/café/computer center? 10 minutes and two printed pages cost me $15!!! That's just excessive in my opinion and really brings this place down a big step as far as I'm concerned. The reality is, most quality hotels include WiFi or free internet nowadays (or just build it into your price). Not here, everything is extra and I find that a tad annoying.

So, my bottom line is this, if you don't mind paying extra for every little thing you can imagine, it's a decent family resort. You won't be blown away by anything but the service is good, locations is good and the restaurants are also good.

Room Tip: The Bay view rooms are no different than other rooms but do offer a superior view of the Bay and the...
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I will start off by saying that I am not a fan of resorts but attended a conference here. The conference amenities were great. Every staff member I interacted with was helpful and friendly, from check in to housekeeping, bell staff and at the bar. The place is beautiful but really is away from it all. They offer a shuttle to the town of Coronado, which is great.

I was upgraded to a room facing the pool in building 2. The room was large, as was the bathroom. There was a great deck and even though the pool area was lively with music and talking, with the glass door closed, I couldn't hear a thing. The bed was comfortable and I slept great each night. I did not use the pool but there's access to a public beach just a short walk from the resort and that was terrific.

The challenges included the fact it took an inordinately long time to get hot water, both in the shower and in the bathroom sink. The gym is really small with not many machines (and one I wanted to use was out of service the whole time I was there). The decorative pillows in my room were smelly, apparently they don't check those very often.

I also think that cost beyond the price of the room needs to be taken into account. The different restaurant offerings were great but pricey. I didn't have a car but know the parking was expensive. I paid under $20 for an airport shuttle to the resort but took a taxi into San Diego to stay an extra couple of days and that cost $50.

If you like resorts and aren't extremely cost-conscious, this is probably a great place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Thank you for the detailed review and I’m happy we met many of your expectations however I’d like to apologize for the areas in which we lacked in service and product. I will pass on your comments to the appropriate departments so they may review and address with teams. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had a wonderful time on our Staycation at this resort last weekend. Perfect for our two kids to swim all day and well priced food and drinks by the pool. The kids also really enjoyed the scheduled pool games during the day. Not too pricey like The Del, and just as relaxing. Great rooms and great service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Very happy you enjoyed your “staycation” with us and the kids were able to enjoy the pools and games. Our pool concierge loves to create a warm, fun, and welcoming environment for the kids and is always changing activities up. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

No really, this is a great place to go and just be. The pool was great, the room was great, we had a good breakfast at the hotel and a nice walk along the bay. The room was clean and well maintained, the bathroom was huge, but the shower was a little small. It look like they recently redid the rooms and they did a nice job.

We got our room on priceline and I think that we got it at a little over $100 a night, remember when booking that parking is ridiculous at $25 a night and you have no choice but to pay it. Valet is $30, but then you have to tip :)

The other thing that may be a bit of a deterrent is that you are out there, you aren't really close to anything and you really have to drive everywhere. I like to be able to walk into town and get coffee or whatever, but this place is a good 3 miles from the center of town. Again, not a huge deal, but you should know when you are booking the trip.

I hope this helps

Room Tip: If you want to see the bay try to get a room on an upper level and in building 3.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!