“LOVED the experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
toronto
“LOVED the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

This was my first experience with a Loews hotel. The hotel was really beautiful and clean. The pools were well kept and the whirlpools were the perfect heat for my 3 year old to enjoy periodically as well. SPA was great but they didn't tell me that tip was already included in price and I ended up double tipping!! Even so, it was a wonderful SPA. My kids (3 and 13) LOVED the hotel. We wanted a low key resort like vacation with only a few day trips into San Diego for the zoo and Legoland. So, this was perfect. If you plan to do a ton of sightseeing, this is not the place for you. But if you want a chill vacation, and you can rent a car then this place was great. We would definitely stay at another Loews anytime.

• Liked — Clean, and elegant
  • Disliked — Kids club was never open during our stay.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I recently spent 5 nights at the Loew's Coronado Resort near San Diego. We were given a ground-floor room with sliding glass doors that opened onto a TINY patio enclosed by a tall metal fence, beyond which was the pool area and hot tub -- a mere 10-15 feet away! We could not even open our curtains without being in full view of the pool crowd, especially those in the hot tub. So the room was a virtual cave, and the loud music blaring in the pool area made it impossible to take a nap or even watch TV at a reasonable volume. (I cannot imagine any responsible hotel developer putting the pool area and hot tub so close to guest rooms.) When we asked to be moved to another room, they refused, saying that the entire resort was full. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — Nice common areas.
  • Disliked — Room location and hotel's unwillingness to move us.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a conference - it was beautiful, the staff were very kind and helpful, the room was pretty and updated, the bath was wonderful (large soaking tub!), my view was very nice (overlooking the water), and the food was excellent. They had our large conference along with another one at the same time and they seemed to pull if off seamlessly from what I saw. I plan to stay there sometime on vacation. The only downside was that it was a little further than I thought it would be from downtown Coronado and downtown San Diego, but shuttles are available as well as on-time taxi services so that's workable.

• Liked — Beatiful hotel/resort and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Distance from downtown
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I booked my anniversary weekend through Expedia and got a pretty good rate (Under $300 for a deluxe room for the weekend). After booking I read a lot of reviews on this site and was a little worried that I hadn't done enough research and may regret it.

Fortunately, at least for us, my concerns were not really justified. This isn't to say that some of the criticisms leveled against the Loews are unfounded. I do think that they nickel and dime you on a lot of different things (most notably $19/day for parking...but to be fair, so do 90% of the hotels in San Diego).

Like life itself, the key is to be informed. I had read here about all their costs and frankly, beyond the parking, I bought NOTHING while there. I didn't use their costly wireless connections. I didn't eat at their costly restaurants. I did hang out at the pool. I did use the nice excercise room. I did walk around the grounds and soak in the San Diego air. By knowing ahead of time about the prices for things, I was able to plan out the weekend.

The main thing I would tell anyone visiting from out of town or who might not be familiar with the area is you do need a car. Even if you were at the pricier Hotel del Coronado, by definition, you are a bit of a hike from downtown and the Gas Lamp and all that. Yes, you can take a bus (we did to see the Padres play at Petco Park Sat night...very cool and easy). The Loews is quite a ways further in than downtown Coronado however and a cab ride will cost you some serious dough. If you stay here, rent a car.

Otherwise, I found the room quite nice. The bed was comfortable. The view was ok. The bathroom was large and had a nice, albeit a bit older, soaking deep tub.

If you are in town for a week or so, I think you'll get more out of the place than if you're there for a few days. I found myself doing a lot driving just because we were going to many places in a short period of time -- and as noted above, it is time consuming to go back and forth from Coronado to downtown.

If I was there a week, I'd probably spend a lot more time at the pool and the beach here. For a few days, unless you plan on mostly sticking around the hotel...you might be better off on the "mainland".

One little gem I would suggest checking out if you stay at the Loews is the sleepy town of Imperial Beach. If you head out the opposite direction of downtown Coronado, it is only a few miles away and it is the coolest little surfer town. We had breakfast at a cool little mom and pop place by the pier and it was great. The whole vibe down there is awesome. Give it a look!

• Liked — Nice room. Away from the congestion of downtown Coronado.
  • Disliked — Longer drive to "mainland" San Diego because it is so remote.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

My wife and I Just returned from a five night stay. We found a great rate through Travelzoo.

Check-in was a breeze. The bellperson was very helpful.

Our room was fine. Good quality bedding and linens. The mattress was a bit soft for my taste. Nice flat screen TV. Turn down service every evening.

The pool area is very nice. Not crowded and well kept.

Since it's a resort, expect to be charged accordingly. Self-parking is $19/day. The food is priced as expected. We did not eat at the resort. Plenty of dining choices in downtown Coronado.

A nice quiet visit. Worth a return visit if in the area.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — $19 for self parking.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hooksett, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

My family and I stayed at the resort for 2 nights/3 days. I read all the reviews before I went and wasn't sure if I wanted to stay or not. I AM SO GLAD WE STAYED. The resort is located away from downtown Coronado. We had rented a car and didn't mind driving when we wanted to leave the resort. Upon check in everyone was very friendly. The bell person went above and beyond to make sure the room was comfortable and just right. He even brought us a bucket of ice and requested delivery of a fridge (no extra charge). After check in, a Loew's staff member brought up our welcome gift for being a Loew's First Member (no charge to sign up..and you decide what kind of gift you would like at time of reservation). It was Pellergino water and some fruit and nuts. It was such a great treat. The room was very clean, nice linens, plasma tv and a nice view off the balcony overlooking the bay. I loved the in room individual coffee maker. The housekeeping came in the morning to tidy up the room and in the evening to turn down the beds and replace towels. The pool was clean, warm, and had a Tropical Feel with a cafe/bar at poolside. The pool area was busy on the Sunday but I would not call it crowded and Monday and Tuesday we had the whole area to ourselves. I also used the Fitness Center and attended a Yoga class. It was great. There are bike trails and jogging path around the resort which are also great if you want to workout outside. We ate breakfast at the resort and lunch at the poolside cafe which was great. As for the price of the resort & food, I feel it is all in prospective to the area. Overall I would stay here again and would recommend it.

Stayed April 2008
mountaindewbebe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

We stayed here for about 3 nights and it was very nice. The prices were outrageous though (about $19 just to park your car!) The pool was lovely and the food was decent for hotel food. The beds were relaxing but the view we had was nothing special. All of the staff was friendly and outgoing.

Stayed March 2008

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!