“Great Resort in San Diego” 4 of 5 stars

Pick Your Park
Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Platte City, Missouri
“Great Resort in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Attended a business conference at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort over a long weekend. It is a great resport hotel near San Diego in a relaxing environment. Overall the resort offers the business traveler and vacationer a lot to do without having to leave the hotel grounds. Which is good because if you don't have a car there isn't much within walking distance. The rooms were standard size but clean and comfortable and the amenities at the hotel were great for a resort of this size. The staff was very polite and professional and willing to help out any guest. Overall I would recommend this resort to anybody looking for a getaway in San Diego, but bring a car if you want to do some sightseeing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your visit to Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s great to hear you were here on a business conference but were able to get a little relaxation in. For future visits we do offer a shuttle throughout the day into downtown Coronado. We look forward to welcoming you back soon either with another conference or just to relax.

1,308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here for a site visit (looking for a venue to host a physician retreat) on 3/1. Andrea from sales set everything up and it was really nice.
Hotel: The hotel is located at the far end of Coronado. It is isolated and surrounded by water. Very beautifully set up. The hotel recently underwent some renovations and the property looked great.
Check-in: Driving the parking situation was a tad interesting. They have a gate type thing in the front where you have to pick up a ticket and trade it for a parking card. Kind of a pain. Then you can either valet or self park (underneath the resort). Andrea met me in the front and gave me a quick tour. We arrived at 2:50pm and found that our room was not ready. He took my cell phone number but never called me when it was ready. Andrea had to re check for me. I got into my room a little before 4pm.
Room: We had a really beautiful room at the end of the hall. IT was a luxury suite and was beautiful. We could see the water from every window. Getting to the room was kind of a pain. My biggest complaint about this resort was the elevators. There are only 3 floors to the hotel, but the elevators took forever and a day. Unacceptable. Back to the rooms, the bedding was comfortable. The funny thing was that there was still a tube TV in the sitting area (haven't seen one in forever at a hotel).
Grounds: Really nice. The pool area did seem a tad cramped because there were multiple pools right next to each other. Lots of chairs and umbrella. They only offer a few cabanas and those were located at the adult only section. I like the fact that they had a cooking station during lunch serving fresh hot food by the pool. There were a few tennis courts and sport courts too. I like the ping pong tables scattered throughout the pool area.
Service: Everywhere we went, we were met with a friendly face. No big complaints in this area. I was a tad disappointed that they did not offer the same activities that they do in the summer (herb garden tour, etc.). The weather was awesome this weekend and it would have been nice to participate in some of them.
Food: We arrived to find chips and guacamole/salsa in our room. Nice touch Andrea. IT was great. Breakfast (the only meal that I ate there) was great at the Market restaurant. Decent selection of food at the buffet. They even had a carving station (pork, I believe) at breakfast. Omelete bar was nice and had spanish sausage and chorizo as some of the options. We sat outside on the patio and it was nice and peaceful.
Business meeting aspect: This resort seems ideal to host business meetings and function. They have a ton of space. The outdoor area has a nice patio to host a dinner type function (overlooking the bay). The hotel was supposedly at capacity, but never felt overcrowded.

All in all, this place seems like a wonderful place to bring your family or love ones to spend a mini vacation. I enjoyed my stay and would consider returning

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so you don't have to deal with the elevator situation...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your visit to Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m excited to hear you had such a wonderful experience during your stay. I will pass on your kind comments to Andrea as I know she takes great pride in creating wonderful memories. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another mini-vacation.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was in California for business and decided to stay a few days extra and visit a friend San Diego. As my friend had to work thought I would stay at a hotel where I could just relax and enjoy the weather. I chose the Loews for its location on Coronado and its reasonable price for a resort. Now, I read some of the reviews which comment on the location away from town but that is generally what a resort is - a destination location. The property is very nice located around a marina with a huge pool area and plenty of open spaces for lounging. The hotel staff is excellent and went out of its way to make my trip memorable. The room I was given faced the pool and the marina with a fabulous balcony that had chairs and a chaise where you can relax without even leaving the room. The hotel is across the road from the beach with a walkway from the hotel to the beach. There are also trails to bike ride or run that are miles long. There are options at the property to rent boats, and other related water sports equipment. Unfortunately, I did not visit the spa so I cannot comment. I had breakfast in the restaurant every morning and found the food excellent. Although there are comments about the cost - I found it average for a hotel restaurant - and maybe even less than some of the places I travel for business. I do think the market where they serve fast food is overpriced and that is the one thing that they could improve. Overall, this is a great place for a nice relaxing vacation with everything you need right at the property. You always have the option of driving to Coronado if you want to venture beyond. I plan to return on my next trip to visit my friend.

Room Tip: I suggest a room facing the pool and marina.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

The Loews at Coronado is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful island (sort of an island)
The hotel has a very cool design, the staff are very courteous and professional, and the pool are is very cool (three pools and two hot tubs and a bar in the same enclosed courtyard).
I got a fairly good deal paying 118 for a night on hotels.com, my only complaint would be the parking fee of 25 dollars a night as you really can't park anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your visit to Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m excited to here you had such a wonderful experience during your visit. The staff takes great pride in what they do and you experienced it first hand. Please keep an eye on our Loews Website as we run great deals over the summertime. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a very "ho hum" hotel/resort. Architecturally it is an eyesore and offers very little to want to "revisit" or recommend. It is really far away from everything and one gets the feeling of being stranded. The rooms are not particularly attractive and the choice of dining limited. Although I will say that there is a lovely restaurant at the property. Good food too. I would not go back though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just stayed here for a weekend and brought our dog since the Loews hotels are dog friendly and we had so much fun. We've stayed at "dog friendly" hotels before that end up having very few places where you could actually take your dog, but this hotel was so accommodating towards our pooch! There's tons of places to take take them around for walks/potty. Plus, they thought of everything to make his stay special - from writing his name on the doggy welcome board, to giving him his own Loews dog tag, to providing nice dog bowls in the room (that we were allowed to take home!), our little guy was treated so kindly. They even have a dog food menu at the cafe and on room service for pete's sake!

And now for how we were treated: the staff were all excellent, friendly and accommodating with the exception of one snarky hotess at the Market Cafe - we were really impressed by all of the staff, from valet to reception to room service to wait staff, they were great.

Here's the negative: be sure to bring your ear plugs if you're a light sleeper! The rooms are nice and have great rooms but holy cow are they loud - we could hear our neighbors and anytime someone's door closed, it seemed to slam and our bed would actually shake! I would recommend a top-floor room for that reason as well. Also, be prepared that parking is $25 for self, $30 for valet (though there is in/out privileges) and it is about a 5-10 minutes drive into the "heart" of Coronado. There is a complimentary shuttle into town and this hotel is an excellent location if you're wanting to get away from the hustle/bustle of the main drag of Coronado. We actually liked that it was a getaway but some people might want to be within walking distance of shops/restaurants. Also, there is no ipod dock which is so strange nowadays and the only music option is for fees ($14 per 2 hours) on the TV - huh?

Restaurants: We ate at Mistral (no doggies allowed, dog had to sit that one out in our room) and it was delightful and delicious - definitely an experience. Pricey, though! The Market Cafe allowed our dog as long as we sat outside, we had both breakfast and lunch this way. Again moderately pricey, but pretty good. Breakfast had both a la cart and buffet options. We had food service delivered and it was great.

Room Tip: The rooms are noisy with thin walls so I would think low level rooms might be louder.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Thought this place would be more exciting. Especially for the price it was! Location is a bit far into Coronado. Staff is nice, lobby is pretty, but rooms are just ok. Parking is $25 dollars a day. Get a room on the top floor, so you can get a decent view of the bay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!