“Relaxing stay with great service levels.” 4 of 5 stars

Stay and Sail
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
uk
“Relaxing stay with great service levels.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent 12 nights at the Loews Coronado Hotel and found it a great, relaxing place to stay. The hotel is quite a way out of Coronado town but a regular shuttle 7 seater car takes you there and picks up again. The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful and the pool area was largely deserted making it feel like a private swim! The Mistral restaurant serves superb food and is very romantic with wonderful views across the bay. The bar area also serves good food and the reception area is lovely to relax and unwind after your day out and about.
All the outside areas are really beautiful and the hotel also features a spa etc.
Our room was clean and spacious and we had a great view of the waterfront and bay from our balcony (Luxury Room).
We were glad we had booked on the Coronado Island as the city had lots of homeless people in all the good areas as well as the more run down areas. Bus prices are excellent at $5 a day, however, used by the homeless a lot and we preferred to take taxis which are cheap enough. The ferry which runs to and from Coronado to the city is excellent.
Prices are fairly high generally so take plenty cash!

Room Tip: Choose a luxury or grand room rather than the standard superior room as better views generally. Top...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here just before the Labour Day weekend, and got a great deal. The hotel is magnificent! We stayed in a suite with our two kids aged 11 and 13 since it had a separate bedroom and pull out sofa. It was beautiful, very clean and they even provided us with a fridge free of charge for our gluten-free, lactose free foods. Our first night we decided to eat at the hotel, but only the pub was available and although they say they have a kids menu, it is not very child friendly-- the chicken fingers were too peppery and the pizza was just O.K. The other restaurant is French and very expensive so we went to the Coronado steak and seafood restaurant across the street from ther Del. you wont be disappointed with this choice at all. The food was fantastic!

We spent the next day at one of the 3 pools on site and then went to the beach. Our only disappointment here was trying to get lunch from the pool bar--it took forever--nearly 45 minutes before it all came to us. Later we went to the beach and had a great time--very private part which was perfect! The young man driving the golf cart shuttle was extremely nice. He even dropped us off under our own building so that we did not have to travel through the hotel main ares to get back to our room after the beach. He also works in the evening planning the kids program-- my daughter had missed the marshmellow roast due to dinner off site so he saved her some for when she got back. Finally the concierge staff are very knowledgeable and helpful to plan your stay. We did not do excursions here, but while booking our restaurant reservation I heard how helpful they were with other guests.

I would definitely stay here again, but not necessarily with children...the Del Coronado may be a better choice with children, but I don't know for sure.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the city skyline facing the bay or if you prefer one where ou can see...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Longboat Key, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a quick anniversary getaway to Coronado. This hotel was picked by our travel agent, and after reading the reviews on here I was somewhat skeptical.
First off, what I liked: The staff was some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Everyone was nice and helpful. The lobby is awesome, really beautiful. Our first room was ok. We overlooked a little courtyard, but we were a bit underwhelmed with the view. My husband spoke to the front dest, and the moved us immediately to a room overlooking the water. It was an awesome view, and I am so glad he asked. The room was comfortable, the beds nice, and while nothing special, a nice room (but we did the get the amazing view!)
We ate at the bar several times, and found the food to be excellent. The service friendly and great. There was a convention going on, and the wait staff handled everyone with ease. I sat outside one morning to have coffee and read, and the chairs around the gas fireplace outside are comfortable and make for a great place to sit. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest for our stay.
The concierge was great, helpful and helped get us into a restaurant and set us up for our daily plans.
I think this would be a great place to stay if you had kids with you, there is a great pool, ping pong and lots of space.
That being said, for me this place lacked something that I can't put my finger on. Maybe something charming, personal or something that makes it special. Maybe it is just my personal taste. I like old and charming, and every time we drove by the hotel right int he village, I wished we were staying there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Well-maintained property a few miles south of Coronado. Rooms spread out in fan around pool, bay on three sides. Excellent sleeping and meeting rooms, meals scrumptious, service all over property was outstanding. No complaints, other than I was there for a meeting instead of vacationing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I am in receipt of your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to the next time you visit on vacation and not for meetings!
New Richmond, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is really pretty and very up to date. It has an adults only pool which is fantastic. It's a nice and quiet location but a little out of down town Coronado so you do have to drive to most places. The rooms were super nice, the mattress was a little worn and you would sink into it but still got a great night sleep. The outdoor restaurant was a little disappointing it was very very expensive and they have a pretty small menu to begin with but then about 4-5 items on the menu were not available. Overall the hotel was very nice and would recommend it for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am in receipt of your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. We will be re-opening our Market Café after completing renovation on December 18th and that will bring a more diverse menu options. We hope you will join us again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for four nights in late October. We were travelling from the UK with our two young kids (aged 6 and 4)

We had insisted on staying at the Loews Coronado, following a memorable stay at the Loews hotel in Santa Monica 18 months ago. In our opinion, Lowes Coronado is a very nice hotel but can’t be compared to its sister venue in SM. This is partly due to the location and sizes of the hotels, Coronado appearing to be much bigger and more spread out but also the Santa Monica hotel has a real shimmer of glamour about it, which didn’t seem present in Coronado.

As can be deduced from the reviews below, this is a popular venue for business conferences, there were at least two going on during our time at the hotel. I’m sure the demographic would change during the US school holidays but for us as a family, we were in the minority during our stay, which is not necessarily a bad thing but I did end up being on the receiving end of some insurance salesmanship one evening. (The guy turned out to be very friendly and gave me some great tips on the rules of baseball, which was playing out on the huge screen in the lobby / communal area)

There was a misunderstanding with the booking when we first checked in, where we had been allocated a room with a single bed, for four of us, even though the voucher clearly stated the number in our party. It took a little too much fight to get this resolved for my liking but in the end we were given a new room with two beds, at no extra cost.

I feel I am painting a negative picture but overall, the hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay. The location of the hotel and proximity to the ocean is idyllic, we woke one morning, threw the curtains back, only to witness a pod of dolphins leaping from the sea, in front of our window and you don’t get that in many places! The bar and restaurant are great, there is a superb selection of micro brewery beers that will be sold to you by knowledgeable friendly staff. Food in the restaurant is very good, albeit quite expensive.

Locally, I can thoroughly recommend The Boat House restaurant in Coronado, which is a 5 minute drive from the hotel. (Fantastic sea food and steaks). Coronado is also a busy US naval station and you WILL see lots of helicopters, however, this is a bonus when you have a six year old son…

Downtown Coronado itself is a great, relaxed place to be. We found comparisons in the “vibe” with Amagansett / East Hampton in Long Island, in so much as there is a village feel that comes across as friendly, chic and cool.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calabasas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Was recently at the Loews Coronado for a business conference. The property is on a promontory point in the Coronado Bay. My room had a balcony overlooking the bay looking back toward the Coronado Bay Bridge. At night, the lights of San Diego and the bridge were spectacular. The property is very elegant, and they have a great lounge with a giant screen television in HD. The room was very clean, and the maid service was top notch. A giant bathroom with plenty of counter space. My only complaints, minor at that, was that upon check in I was never provided a "bar key." To access the mini-bar, I had to call room service to obtain the key. Also, the valet brought my car up and I drove off, only to find he had never left the key in the car (new fangled car with push button start does have a downside). The car started beeping five miles down the road that there was no key, which could have led to my being stranded somewhere if I had turned the car off, necessitating a turn around. Just some service type glitches that will probably never happen again. The property is somewhat remote, there will be no walking around here, everything will require a drive. My last complaint is that there is almost no real good restaurant on the property, they do have one overpriced restaurant with very little choice of menu, and the bar lounge has bar food. So, to dine, you really must leave the property. The Gaslamp Quarter has a lot of fun restaurants and bars, which is about a twenty minute drive away.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the end of the spokes of the hall, these rooms will be front and center...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!