“Quick Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Longboat Key, Florida
“Quick Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a quick anniversary getaway to Coronado. This hotel was picked by our travel agent, and after reading the reviews on here I was somewhat skeptical.
First off, what I liked: The staff was some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Everyone was nice and helpful. The lobby is awesome, really beautiful. Our first room was ok. We overlooked a little courtyard, but we were a bit underwhelmed with the view. My husband spoke to the front dest, and the moved us immediately to a room overlooking the water. It was an awesome view, and I am so glad he asked. The room was comfortable, the beds nice, and while nothing special, a nice room (but we did the get the amazing view!)
We ate at the bar several times, and found the food to be excellent. The service friendly and great. There was a convention going on, and the wait staff handled everyone with ease. I sat outside one morning to have coffee and read, and the chairs around the gas fireplace outside are comfortable and make for a great place to sit. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest for our stay.
The concierge was great, helpful and helped get us into a restaurant and set us up for our daily plans.
I think this would be a great place to stay if you had kids with you, there is a great pool, ping pong and lots of space.
That being said, for me this place lacked something that I can't put my finger on. Maybe something charming, personal or something that makes it special. Maybe it is just my personal taste. I like old and charming, and every time we drove by the hotel right int he village, I wished we were staying there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Well-maintained property a few miles south of Coronado. Rooms spread out in fan around pool, bay on three sides. Excellent sleeping and meeting rooms, meals scrumptious, service all over property was outstanding. No complaints, other than I was there for a meeting instead of vacationing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I am in receipt of your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to the next time you visit on vacation and not for meetings!
New Richmond, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is really pretty and very up to date. It has an adults only pool which is fantastic. It's a nice and quiet location but a little out of down town Coronado so you do have to drive to most places. The rooms were super nice, the mattress was a little worn and you would sink into it but still got a great night sleep. The outdoor restaurant was a little disappointing it was very very expensive and they have a pretty small menu to begin with but then about 4-5 items on the menu were not available. Overall the hotel was very nice and would recommend it for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am in receipt of your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. We will be re-opening our Market Café after completing renovation on December 18th and that will bring a more diverse menu options. We hope you will join us again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for four nights in late October. We were travelling from the UK with our two young kids (aged 6 and 4)

We had insisted on staying at the Loews Coronado, following a memorable stay at the Loews hotel in Santa Monica 18 months ago. In our opinion, Lowes Coronado is a very nice hotel but can’t be compared to its sister venue in SM. This is partly due to the location and sizes of the hotels, Coronado appearing to be much bigger and more spread out but also the Santa Monica hotel has a real shimmer of glamour about it, which didn’t seem present in Coronado.

As can be deduced from the reviews below, this is a popular venue for business conferences, there were at least two going on during our time at the hotel. I’m sure the demographic would change during the US school holidays but for us as a family, we were in the minority during our stay, which is not necessarily a bad thing but I did end up being on the receiving end of some insurance salesmanship one evening. (The guy turned out to be very friendly and gave me some great tips on the rules of baseball, which was playing out on the huge screen in the lobby / communal area)

There was a misunderstanding with the booking when we first checked in, where we had been allocated a room with a single bed, for four of us, even though the voucher clearly stated the number in our party. It took a little too much fight to get this resolved for my liking but in the end we were given a new room with two beds, at no extra cost.

I feel I am painting a negative picture but overall, the hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay. The location of the hotel and proximity to the ocean is idyllic, we woke one morning, threw the curtains back, only to witness a pod of dolphins leaping from the sea, in front of our window and you don’t get that in many places! The bar and restaurant are great, there is a superb selection of micro brewery beers that will be sold to you by knowledgeable friendly staff. Food in the restaurant is very good, albeit quite expensive.

Locally, I can thoroughly recommend The Boat House restaurant in Coronado, which is a 5 minute drive from the hotel. (Fantastic sea food and steaks). Coronado is also a busy US naval station and you WILL see lots of helicopters, however, this is a bonus when you have a six year old son…

Downtown Coronado itself is a great, relaxed place to be. We found comparisons in the “vibe” with Amagansett / East Hampton in Long Island, in so much as there is a village feel that comes across as friendly, chic and cool.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calabasas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Was recently at the Loews Coronado for a business conference. The property is on a promontory point in the Coronado Bay. My room had a balcony overlooking the bay looking back toward the Coronado Bay Bridge. At night, the lights of San Diego and the bridge were spectacular. The property is very elegant, and they have a great lounge with a giant screen television in HD. The room was very clean, and the maid service was top notch. A giant bathroom with plenty of counter space. My only complaints, minor at that, was that upon check in I was never provided a "bar key." To access the mini-bar, I had to call room service to obtain the key. Also, the valet brought my car up and I drove off, only to find he had never left the key in the car (new fangled car with push button start does have a downside). The car started beeping five miles down the road that there was no key, which could have led to my being stranded somewhere if I had turned the car off, necessitating a turn around. Just some service type glitches that will probably never happen again. The property is somewhat remote, there will be no walking around here, everything will require a drive. My last complaint is that there is almost no real good restaurant on the property, they do have one overpriced restaurant with very little choice of menu, and the bar lounge has bar food. So, to dine, you really must leave the property. The Gaslamp Quarter has a lot of fun restaurants and bars, which is about a twenty minute drive away.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the end of the spokes of the hall, these rooms will be front and center...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great place. Stayed there for 4 nights. Liked it very much. It was a bit cool to hang out by the pool, but I am sure would be great when the sun is shinning. Great restaurant, bar, lounge area. One minor I would say disadvantage is that it is about 5 miles away from Coronado City and probably over 10 miles from down town San Diego. The hotel has a shuttle that takes you only to downtown Coronado.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It is great to hear you enjoyed your 4 nights with us and were able to enjoy our newly remodeled bar and lounge area. We look forward to your return.
Colorado Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just returned October 24th from a conference that my husband attended. We have found that when you go to a conference it is best to stay in the resort for convenience sake. I don't usually give a less than par rating because I am a kind of a go with the flow type of person, but this resort needs just a bit more work. Our rooms were outdated, though large. we did have a great view of the bay, so we slept with our slider open and enjoyed the sounds of the barges, and boats at night-not too many, and without the door open you didn't hear them. The carpet in the halls needs to be replaced, and elevators, just dirty and that is your first impression.

They did just finish the lobby makeover and it was very nice. We had a rental car so the far distance from town wasn't a problem but without one it would have been hard. The shuttle they have is a minivan, and only will hold 7, and you need to make reservations for it, it does not run continuously, and if it is full, or your meal goes a bit longer you are out of luck.They could upgrade that to a bigger van, or more trips than once a hour, but that means you could leave the resort and their $20 burger lunches if you wanted to....

We stayed at the Del last summer, right on the beach and it is so worth the extra $. The location alone saved us the cost of the room if we wanted to just grab a subway sandwich instead of a real meal.

The pool is a bit small, but the service was always good. I can't say we would choose this for a vacation but for the conference it was fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!