“Absolutely Perfect Honeymoon at Loews in Coronado” 5 of 5 stars

Pick Your Park
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Absolutely Perfect Honeymoon at Loews in Coronado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I had the perfect honeymoon at the resort. The food was so delicious at Mistral and the staff was great. The kayak rental was a lot of fun and the sunset gondola ride was perfectly romantic. The concierge, Gordon Berry Jr., sent us to an amazing seafood restaurant and was extremely helpful. Because it was our honeymoon, we were greeted by champagne and dessert when we got to our room. The room we had was not expensive, but it had a great view of the bay and a patio about 10 feet from the water. Everything about our stay was absolutely perfect and the next time we travel we will definitely look for a Loews to stay at.

1,514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I booked 4 rooms for a big family trip with a lot of young children. We managed to get rooms close to each other and thought the hotel was perfect for our trip to San Diego.

Positives: great location by the beach, very friendly staff, nice large rooms, spacious bathrooms. Ample parking under each of their 5 buildings. Pool was the highlight of the resort. Warm salt-water pool to relax in after a long day at the theme parks. Best turkey club at Mistral restaurant. Hotel was not noise as other posts but perhaps we made a lot of noise with all the children staying with us.

Negatives: slightly away from the main Coronado strip but steps away from a beautiful beach. Free wifi only in the lobby. Also, we used the mini-bar fridge to store milk for the young children and the hotel charged us for using the fridge. We were not aware of such a charge.

I would definitely stay at Loews Coronodo Bay Resort again. Wish I had more time to spend at the resort and beach.

Room Tip: You may not want a room overlooking the pool, could be noise as the pool is open until 10pm
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights in October, without doubt its a beautiful hotel in a lovely location with great views and near the beach. But it is also a fair distance form Coronado itself so no chance of walking in for a few drinks. There was wifi in the bar area but none in the rooms, which was disappointing considering we stayed in a $60 motel which provided wifi in the rooms.
There is a spa and gym but there is an extra charge to use any of their facilities, a bit disappointing considering the price you pay for the rooms.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, so I cant fault that.
It was a great stay but if I was going back I think I'd stay closer to the city or at least closer to Coronado, so the hotel suits those who want to chill and stay within the hotel but for those who want to get out and about with ease I'd think again.

Northampton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Worst hotel ever in terms of food service. Limited menu choices, mostly tortilla based. Main restaurant under renovation! Broken espresso machine today, so u can't get your latte or capuchino. Qualty of food is not great at all. So if u decide to stay be prepared to eat outside often. U must have a car.
A word to executive office, work on it; u should not let ur customers who pay at inconvenience. It's not right.

• Stayed October 2012
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

While this hotel is not cheap, the rooms are lovely and the views are amazing. This location is not close to any of the attractions so don’t expect to come here and walk from the hotel, but it is a great stop with all the amenities. Great pool and beach, nice restaurants with very attentive staff! Prices in the restaurants were not unreasonable for this type of resort and a 10 minute drive has you in Coronado with lots of dining options. Parking is $25 per day. The only thing I wish it had was a convenience store to purchase snacks. It was also over run by a convention so it can make it hard to find a quite area in the lobby to enjoy the surroundings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
calgary, alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have mixed feelings about Loews Coronado. While a beautiful resort, it seemed rather impersonal due to the number of conventions taking place. It was not quite the getaway that I was looking for.

Our flight landed at about 12:30pm, and after a $50 taxi ride, we were at the resort at about 1:30. From reviews I had read on Trip advisor (thank you!), I wanted to ensure that we had a room with a balcony in the none-pet-friendly building. At the time, no rooms that fit my specifications were available as check in isn’t until 4pm. The super friendly front desk person took our phone number and called us when our room was ready – about an hour later, so still ahead of the check-in time which was much appreciated. While we waited, they stored our luggage and we had a couple of drinks in Cay’s Lounge. Cay’s lounge opens up to the outside where there are several loungers and fire pits that are really nice to sit around at night. Don’t plan on sitting there often though because that area was restricted at night due to convention activities. I was extremely disappointed by this. We arrived on a Sunday and were only able to utilize that area that night since we were only guests, not part of a convention. Boo.

We had a superior king room which was very spacious and decorated in a beachy theme – lamps filled with sand, wicker furniture and blue and green accents. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and soaker tub. The room faced the courtyard so we had a view of the outdoor lounge area and a very obstructed view of the ocean. I was happy with our location as we were in the first building (the resort has five buildings), we were close to the elevator and the pool. I ended up not liking the location as the week went on. More on that later.

As for activities, there are three pools – a kid, an adult and a combined. There was also three or four ping pong tables which was fun, tennis courts, a gym (I think there was a charge) and an area where you could rent bikes etc. So, there was plenty to do.

Currently there is one restaurant, one lounge and the pool cantina available for dining. I was disappointed that the Market Café was closed (for renovations) so you really couldn’t buy any wine or sundries to take to our room. They were selling a few items such as sandwiches, cupcakes, chocolate bars and Starbucks coffee at the bar or out of a booth outside that seemed to have random hours. Since the resort is secluded, it would have been nice to have access to more selection. We stocked up on items one day when we went into Coronado.
We ate breakfast at the restaurant (Mistral) twice. The first time, I ordered an omelet which was hot, fresh and delicious and came with hash browns and toast. My second breakfast was not as successful – I ordered poached eggs, hash browns, bacon and toast which all came lukewarm and was just okay. Be prepared to spend $20 minimum per person on breakfast. We ate dinner there one night and the service was fantastic and the meal delicious. We had a lovely view of the Bay to enjoy while eating our meals. Dinner, with a bottle of wine, came to $164 and was worth every penny.

La Cantina, the pool bar, serves salads, wraps and sandwiches. I was excited to try the watermelon & feta salad which they were out of. They were out of two of the wraps as well. So, we both had the turkey burger which was actually very delicious.

If you want to go into Coronado, the hotel provides shuttle service operating at strange hours. Be sure to make a reservation as the shuttle only seats seven. The first one leaves at 10am, the second 1pm, then I think 3pm, 4pm, and a few more times. I think their plan is to have you stay at the hotel for breakfast and lunch which is fine, but I wish they had more food options. Coronado is a lovely city and worth the trip in.

So, the hotel has many redeeming qualities, but I found that it just wasn’t for us. It is very secluded and it is best that you have a car if you want to see the sights ($25 a night parking). We did not rent a car as I thought the shuttle would operate more frequently and I did think that we would want to spend more time at the resort than we actually did. We could not enjoy our balcony at night since the convention meet and greets were basically right outside of our window and were extremely noisy. Also, it just reminded me of the area we couldn’t use. Quite frankly, seeing all of those people just made me think of work which is not what you want on vacation. Also, the little annoyances that normally happen at hotels happen here as well – coffee not restocked in the room, our newspaper not left outside of our door one morning, food shortages, and wrong hours given for restaurants. No big deal, but not four star quality either.

I would not return to Loews Coronado for a vacation. I think it would be great for a convention though as you definitely get treated better than just your average guest s like ourselves.

Room Tip: When you check in, be sure to request a room away from the courtyard - the conventions cocktail part...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We love staying here, it is right across the street from a long sandy beach that is usually empty. We took long walks and would maybe saw two people! Found many sand dollars on the beach, which is pretty rare these days. I like that the spa is open late so you can go relax and enjoy he steam room, or just sit and read, while drinking tea. You can use the spa area even if you are not having a service. It's a short scenic beach drive to down town Coronado. Love the gift shop too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!