“Stayed here for a Wedding but it became a VACATION!” 5 of 5 stars

Pick Your Park
Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Stayed here for a Wedding but it became a VACATION!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is great. It is far from all the main shopping and restaurants on the island but not by much. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The food is a little pricey but it's a resort so that's always a given. The breakfast buffet in the morning was delicious and lots of fun to try all the different options. The fitness center is more than most hotels and was a big plus to staying here. We stayed here for a wedding but it ended up being a little resort getaway due to great nature of this hotel. Overall, our room was HUGE!! Definite plus!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

1,302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights recently at the Loews. The hotel is casual, a 5 minute walk to the Silver Strand beach and 5 miles from Coronado. It is very dog friendly which is a plus, but if you are a couple, be forewarned that there are many many kids. We had a Grand King room facing the bay, so it was relatively quiet, but I can imagine that if we had a different room, our experience may have been different. The pool gets very crowded so we were not able to sit by it, but ended up going to the beach instead. Parking is a lot ($25 per day) and internet per device is over $12 per day, but there is free wi-fi in the lobby. The carpets (especially in the elevators) smell like crayons. The rooms are not lavish, but are acceptable. There is a keurig coffee maker in the room but you can get starbucks coffee from the deli in the lobby. We had breakfast in one of the restaurants----the service was very slow and the "fresh" juice was not freshly squeezed.

Room Tip: Definitely get a bay view room. The grand king has a little terrace.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The hotel was very nice and very clean. The staff was very helpful especially the hotel concierge! They purchased tickets for us, gave excellent directions and just so friendly. It is in the middle of nowhere, as expected if you read all the reviews, but we liked that. One night we used the shuttled to go to Coronado, which was free of charge but didn't run very late. I can not rate the restraunts but we did eat and drink at the pool and that was very good. Loved having an adult pool, was very relaxing. They could have used more wait service at the pool on the weekend. I woud wait awhile and no one came by so I ended up going up to the bar and ordering food and drinks. Once they seen us with the drinks they were a little more attentive in checking with us to see if we needed anything. The were very helpful when you arrive at the pool and stop at the towel area. Everytime they offer to carry the towels, put on the chair covers (which I loved) and always would ask if we needed an umbrella. I would have given this hotel a 5 star rating but I did not like having to pay $10 a day for a refrigerator and $25 for parking; loved the kuerig coffee pot. Went to Von's and bought the coffee I like with real half and half and enjoyed my coffee on the balcony each morning! Would go back in a minute!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

For the price, this hotel just isn't good enough. To begin with, it's somewhat in the "middle of nowhere." Unless you rent a car, you're really a prisoner of a hotel - not a destination resort. The worst part about this is that the food is only "adequate" and we had seriously slow and poor service in that area.

Our room (a suite as reserved) had a "new condo" feel to it, i.e., no character. Reaching any of the banks of elevators is a real hike. We did have a nice view but certainly not spectacular.

The concierge was the one very bright spot. Her service was exceptional - except that she was so overworked that the wait got to be an issue at times. Actually, the only good, friendly service we received was from her.

If this is a "trip of a lifetime" or very important, it's worth the extra money to stay at the ever-amazing Del Coronado where we've stayed before and dined this time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an ocean view and check the size of the room. We heard many complaints about tiny...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Campbell, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My original reservation was at another hotel but my visit was rescheduled and I ended up here – and I’m really glad I did. This is a great resort, and the ONLY problem for me was its location, which is on the land spit of Silver Strand Beach, officially on Coronado Island but too far to walk to downtown Coronado. But that said, there is a frequent free hotel shuttle to the downtown which I used a number of times.

There is a walkable beach (with a shuttle available as well if you are carrying too many supplies to walk). I didn’t have a car but if you do then no problem at all getting wherever you want in Coronado or San Diego. And I think you can get to either San Diego or downtown Coronado by public bus.

I had the cheapest room but it was quite large, and had a balcony and a view of the bay. Huge closet, large bathroom with shower and bath, immaculate - everything appeared new and in the best of condition. The pool area is extensive with several hot tubs, a kid’s pool and adults-only pool. Even during the week of July 4 when the hotel was full, I had no problem getting a lounge chair by the pool at any time of day. The pool snack bar opens at 11, and has a happy hour at 4. There was a made-while-you-wait taco grill food cart around lunch time that was great.

The staff was some of the most accommodating I’ve seen, and they were everywhere to help – carrying towels for beleaguered parents, taking food and drink orders around the pool, moving umbrellas and chairs. The drivers of the shuttles were also extremely helpful and nice.

I didn’t use any of the restaurants but there were a number of options, which is good since you are a bit isolated. There was a place to park kids (Kids Club) which wasn’t cheap ($15 an hour or $80 all day including lunch) but a nice option to have for some adults-only time. There were tons of families here which makes sense since it is summer and San Diego. There was a list of activities going on (ceramic painting, games, story time) though I didn’t see or participate in them. There were also boats to rent and a gondola ride (but at $95 a couple, a bit of a splurge). In general, whether for food, activities or whatever, be prepared to fork out some cash while staying here.

Great view from the lobby and patio of the bay, San Diego and the Coronado Bridge. I enjoyed my stay and definitely recommend this resort, if the location works for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from stairs and parking lots for extra quiet. Ask for a view of the bay from a h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feed back regarding your recent stay with us here at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I'm delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience and were able to enjoy many of our amenities. Hopefully during your next visit you can try our Market Cafe or our fine dining restaurant Mistral. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Took my husband for a birthday present. When I made reservations directly through hotel I asked if we could have a quiet room and was assured that would be doable. At check in asked again for quiet room and was given a room right above the pool area. Asked to change and was told they had no other rooms but was assured they could move us the next day to a quiet room. That room ended up being right over their outdoor bar/lounge and we were kept up until 12:30 a.m. by a large group of partiers yelling, screaming, and singing. Called down 3 times to front desk to ask them for help with the noise was assured each time they would handle it but they didn't. Have never been happier to leave a hotel in my life!

Room Tip: Stay away from pool area and building facing bar/lounge if you are looking for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was our second stay at the Coronado Bay Loews. They have done some remodeling of the lobby and bar area since our stay two years ago. Very nice with a very fresh look and feel. Lots of room as well. Our stay was very good. The hotel has lots of activities for kids and adults. Services are provided at the beach to include boogie boards, towels, and beach chairs. The pools are great as well. The only downside for us was the service at the pool side bar and restaurant. Everything else was outstanding.

I would highly recommend the hotel as the staff is great, the location is outstanding, and the hotel is a great value. This is our second stay and we will be back. I have stayed at the Del before, closer to Coronado, however, for the price, our family felt like we received a lot more in value, space, and extras.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room. Bayview rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding your recent visit with us at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s great to hear your stay was very good and I hope you enjoyed the newly renovated lobby since your last visit. We look forward to welcoming you back for a third time soon.

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!