“Great location, Staff was outstanding with one exception” 4 of 5 stars

$15 off room rate
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Vegas
“Great location, Staff was outstanding with one exception”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I stay in San Diego every year in July. It is her birthday trip and our anniversary trip all rolled into one fantastic get away. This year we decided to give La Aveniada Inn a try as the reviews were strong.

I will start with the good. Each and every member of their staff with the exception of one was amazing. The location is beyond wonderful with only a 2 minute walk to the beach and the plush Hotel Del Coronado. A movie theatre is located just down the street which was fun and convenient. There is great food at every corner and stop. The room was large and comfortable. There was a pool which we never used but it looked nice. The manager and the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly with one exception.

Sadly now for the one staff member who was rude and unreasonable. There was one front desk representative named Susi who did not listen and was rude each time we interacted with her. Here is one of the times and what happened. The first day we arrived we were told by the individual that checked us in that we could keep our car within the parking lot after our check out time of 11:00am. We planned on enjoying our last day on foot and then return to the hotel to pickup our things and our car. The plan was not possible when we checked out with Susi and attempted to confirm with her that our car was ok to stay for the day. She sighed and said "No once you check out your car will need to be removed as you are no longer in a room." I explained that t at check in we were told that we could leave our vehicle for the day and she laughed. She under her breathe stated "of course the day told you that". I explained I was just looking for consistency and I didn’t understand why the person at check in was the problem. She told me that they tell everyone whatever they want to hear and laughed. I then offered to pay money for parking to attempt to offer a solution as she was honestly wearing on my nerves (I don’t like being laughed at). She said I could not pay for the parking spot and other guests would need it. I stated I had stayed for 4 nights and 5 days I did not understand the problem. She looked at me and said well sir there are guests staying 6 days. I asked if that meant my stay was not appreciated and she said that many guests stay much longer than 4 days.

At this point I was very frustrated and fell very unappreciated. I had already checked out they had my money and up until this point I had tolerated Susi and felt this property was near perfect. I am sorry to say that Susi ended our trip on a horrible note and in my opinion she should not be working in a customer service type position. I am still amazed that she laughed at me and my wife’s request.

All in all I would recommend this hotel just avoid Susi!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Laavenida, General Manager at La Avenida Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for your recent review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property and your time in Coronado. We were, however, very sorry to learn that one of our staff members did not meet our guest service expectations. Please be assured that our guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we have counseled our representatives accordingly. We very much appreciate the time you took to bring this to our attention and sincerely hope you will choose La Avenida Inn again for your next "birthday/anniversary fantastic getaway" trip. Please contact me directly to arrange your visit so I can personally thank you for your loyalty. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Ron Diepenbrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I live in San Diego and decided to do a Coronado weekend getaway. La Avenida Inn is PERFECT! It's very clean, well kept, nicely decorated with great service! It's centrally located to everything in Coronado— and I mean walking to distance to shops, restaurants and the beach) . I would highly recommend this place, especially for the reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

It was just a one night stay, sadly, and the location in busy Coronado is convenient. I found Johnnie a pleasure to work with in booking the room -- a lucky break for me in finding just a single night in the busy season. Almost everything is nearby. My room was quiet -- and most rooms seem set back from the pedestrian and traffice bustle of Orange Avenue. Johnnie was a great guide, secured a taxi in an advanced and timely way. The room accommodations were basic and clean -- I sure wouldn't spend much time in any room in a beautiful location like this if I'd had more time. And I would come here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Located right across street from Hotel del Coronado and soft sandy beach. Nice sized room with comfy beds. Walked to lots of shops and restaurants. Pool was clean and refreshing. Bathroom seemed a bit cheap, but functional. Overall, wde were pleasantly surprised with La Avenidva Inn.

• Stayed August 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Is directly across street from Del Coronado. Lots of great food and shoping in walking distance. Italian restrurant right next door was very good. Parking is free. We got there early, and the desk gave us a free parking pass. We left our bags in the car and toured the area until check-in. Rooms are nice and very clean. Air conditioner worked great. Has free coffee and nice selection of breakfast muffins in morning. Desk gave us free vouchers for discounts and local resturants/shops.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Hotel is on Corondo Island, over the Coronado Bridge. It's located directly across the street from the Del. A five minute (one block) walk to the beach. It's a small hotel. I'd say no more than 30 units. The rooms were clean and spacious, with air conditioning. There is a very small pool. Staff were all friendly, especially Raul, the groundskeeper. For $5 extra a night we were able to get a mini fridge. They also give AAA discounts. When I asked for recommendations on a good seafood restaurant, I was given coupons for free appetizers at two restaurants. Hotel is right in Orange Avenue and there are a ton of shops, restaurants & ice cream places within easy walking distance. There is a nice little patio where you can store your bikes which they lock. If you want to pay three times as much and get fancy, go across the street to the Del. Otherwise, this is a very nice, basic, clean, convenient to the beach place to spend a few nights.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We loved this place, the front desk was very friendly, helpful, and you felt like family.
We wanted to be by Hotel Del, its beautiful and so is the beach. Just walk across the street and your there. Early morning strolls on the beach, covered in sand dollars. Ride your beach Cruzer everywhere. Stop by the front desk area for free yummy pastries and coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. We always stay in the suite with the balcony on the upper floor great for people watching playing cards. drinking. This will always be the place we stay when visiting Coronado.
Thanks again to the hotel staff for making us feel welcome.
Our teen son absolutely loved it and tells everyone about this hotel. In 2012 he get to bring a friend..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to La Avenida Inn? Share your experiences!