“amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Oceanside, CA
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I really don't understand people being disappointed with the breakfast or the view or the price. everything is very forthcoming and we knew exactly what we were getting. It actually exceeded our expectations. It was very busy, but being Easter weekend that is to be expected. the service was perfect. the room was exactly what was advertised and they gave us a great view of the bay, which we asked for. the breakfast was more than satisfying and they have water, coffee, lemonade, fruit, and cookies throughout the day. We drink Cafe Moto at home, so we were so glad to find it here also.
They had a bike shed so we could use and store our bikes at our leisure, they had ample parking and only charged us $10 for our whole stay, instead of per day. the pool and spa are small, and this was worsened by all the families here this week. Again, to be expected in a fully booked hotel. I will say that the pool closes at 10 and we were wanting to go in the spa at 10:30 (we were without our kids this trip) and I was bummed it closed so "early."
we would stay here again in a heartbeat, especially with the Internet special we booked. the normal prices are a tad high I think.
As far as people complaining about the noise, you do hear the other guests, but not after 10 and not before 8am. I wear earplugs so it doesn't bother me. w
We couldn't hear the people above or to the side of us, only those out in the hallway.
The cable tv was basic, the free WiFi was excellent, and the staff very helpful and friendly. I would choose this over the Del any day!
have realistic expectations, and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

Room Tip: ask for a bay view

583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I decided to stay here while my daughter was interviewing for graduate school in the area. We only had a one night stay and it was brief so I could not justify the incredible expense of staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. This hotel was perfect. There is a $10 parking fee which the front desk told me as soon as I checked in. Staying on Coronado is far from the hustle and bustle of San Diego but it is quite lovely. We had drinks at the Hotel Del Coronado ($20 for a beer and a mixed drink) and watched the sunset over the ocean. Our room was on the ground floor and was a bit dark for my tastes but we did not ask for a change. The bathroom was older but very clean and everything worked perfectly. I could tell it was well maintained. The room overlooked the pool and I thought it would be noisy but it was very quiet and well insulated. The breakfast is fairly standard hotel buffet food and the patio area is lovely in the morning. All in all the staff was professional and

Room Tip: If I had to stay there again ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My girlfriend booked a weekend stay at the Glorietta Bay Inn for my birthday last year. She originally had planned to get a room at the Hotel Del, but they were booked and her phone call was redirected to a travel agency through which she booked the Glorietta Bay Inn.
If you look at the official photos on the web site, the Glorietta Bay Inn looks very festive, just the right thing for a birthday surprise. Reality was a little different, though. The hotel really consists of two parts: the historic part (which is the former Spreckels mansion) and a motel-style extension building that was added on to the original mansion. The two buildings and their rooms couldn't be any more different, and it's somewhat misleading that they are marketed as part of the same hotel.
Needless to say, I was a little disappointed when my birthday surprise getaway turned out to be a dark and dated room that could have come straight out of a motel chain. I didn't take pictures of the room, but it was rather depressing and not really a place where you want to spend your birthday. The agent at the travel agency through which my girlfriend had booked had specifically pointed out that we would be staying in the mansion, and there was also supposed to be a balcony.
So, we went straight back to the reception and asked for a different room, one with at least a balcony. The receptionist shuffled some filing cards and produced new key cards for a room on the second floor. This room also had a surprise in store for us: as we opened the door we found the belongings of some other guests as it turned out that the room was already occupied. From a security point of view, this was a pretty bad mix up, as we could have easily taken off with the other guests valuables. Other than being on the second floor and having a balcony, the second room was just as depressing as the first one.
We went to the reception for the third time and complained that the room was already occupied and wasn't anywhere near what we had expected anyway. After some more shuffling of filing cards we were issued another set of key cards, this time for a room in the historic part of the building. This was what my girlfriend was led to believe she had booked all along, though the receptionist insisted that it was an upgrade and not the room category that we actually had paid for.
What a difference between the first two rooms and the room in the old part of the building! This room was nicely furnished (in an old-fashioned way), and even if the "view" was onto some duct pipes and A/C units there were at least two large windows that let some light inside.
As the room was in the historic part of the building, it goes without saying that the age of the building cannot be entirely hidden from the guests. The window frames were apparently still the original ones and didn't have any sound proofing. It was a little noisy at night, but still manageable.
The service was excellent, though, and the nightly turn-down service even included cookies and milk, which was a nice touch.
To be fair, the room was booked through a third-party agency and not through the hotel directly. It's possible that there was some misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) when it came to the room description. The online photos seem to focus on the historic part of the hotel, and don't really show much of the motel-style add-on.
If you book a room in the old part of the hotel I'm convinced that you can have an excellent experience at the Glorietta Bay Inn. In our case, with all the snags and disappointments, our experience was a mixed bag at the very best.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GloriettaBay, Manager at Glorietta Bay Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Your comments help us improve the property as well as our staff. Although you stayed with us last year, we continue to constantly make improvements to the rooms and property. I apologize your experience was not well handled in a different manner. We do hope you will give us another try for 2013 and give us another chance for a memorable stay.

Thank you.
Claudia
G.M.
las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had a very similar experience to Sharon Z. The first room they gave us was next to Orange Ave. It had a lot of street noise from all the traffic. About half an hour after we checked in, I knew I was not happy with this room. I went down to the front desk and requested a new room. They gave us a room in the courtyard area which was very pretty and serene. We had an even better bay view than the first room did. Although the first room was larger, we were much happier in the quiet peaceful room. We could sit out on the balcony and enjoy the bay view. The rooms were done in grays which I did not particularly like but I guess it was suppose to be peaceful. I felt the rooms should have been decorated in a similar style to the original main building which was a beautiful early 1900's mansion. The location was very good as it was within walking distance to lots of good restaurants and right across the street from the Del Coronado. The staff was helpful and friendly.

Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last month while visiting family. At first, we were very disappointed with our room. We couldn't sleep the first night with all the noise of cars and trucks since we were right next to the street. The next morning I went to the front desk and told them. They were wonderful. They showed me a few rooms to choose from, and we slept great the next two nights. The staff was wonderful, the breakfasts are amazing, beds are great and the location was perfect! Thank you Glorietta Bay Inn for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Rooms near the street are noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a standard king size room overlooking the marina - yes you do have to overlook the carpark in the foreground but its really not that bad!
It was a great room with all the amenities of a good, clean standard hotel room that is tastefully decorated - no flamboyant tropical print here!
beautiful breakfast room and perfect position near the amentities of Hotel del Corondado, the marina and Orange Ave.

Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in an upper floor suite with a bedroom and sofa sleeper. It was spacious--had two bathrooms, a balcony and some kitchen accommodations. No view of the bay, but we still enjoyed it. The location is close to the beach at the Del Coronado and many restaurants along Orange Avenue. Except when going into San Diego, we walked everywhere. The picturesque marina was a stroll away and we ambled through the surrounding quiet neighborhoods admiring the historic homes. We were in the area to visit San Diego State University which was about 20 minutes away when we drove there in mid-morning. The wifi was free and dependable. We've had better complimentary breakfasts but this one was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Glorietta Bay Inn? Share your experiences!