“no thanks” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 hotels in Coronado
San Diego
“no thanks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here for work travel. I was in the "annex" across the intersection. Traffic noise wasn't as bad as I expected, but the bed was TERRIBLE. The entire room is run down looking, it has a window A/C unit stuck in the wall, and the bathroom vent fan is connected to the light so fan runs the entire time the light is on - very noisy! I left after one night for a room at the Marriot that was ONLY $4 more for a government rate and obviously was about 1000 times nicer... I had no issues with wifi or the water buy my coworker 3 doors down couldn't connect to wifi and had to take a cold shower!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Planet Earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Comicon - other reviews are actuate as to bad wifi (apple devices would not connect) sulfur smell coming from water - ran sinks and toilets and it largely went away. I never received an email confirmation on my room had to call and confirm it went through. Room description said there was fridge and microwave but only had fridge, room was quiet enough being on one of the busiest intersections on Coronado. Room was size of postage stamp. Two beds, fridge, tv, night stand bathroom. Outside security lights shine into room windows at night. Shades would not block it. I finally went out and unscrewed the bulb for the night. I was good a put it back in the am. We arrived and an HBO guide was on our bed. HBO was no where to be found on the TV. Called desk to ask what channel it was and they did not know but promised to call back. Never heard from them again. Location was walking distance to Ferry landing and a few shops and restaurants. The place has room for improvement for sure and I had low expectations going in so it did not shock me badly. I would only stay here if I needed a basic bed for the night and nothing else.

• Stayed July 2013
Lawrence, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

At $99 per night, I won't tell you that the Coronado Island Inn was overpriced. Apparently, it was not for Coronado Island. I will tell you to set your expectations to the fact that this is among the lowest priced hotels on the Island.

While not all rooms are identical, I had a small refrigerator in mine, which was nice. The TV also had a lot of channels for a hotel TV. The staff was very friendly. If you don't mind walking across the busiest road in Coronado, they have a descent pool at their more upscale, connected Coronado Inn. Breakfast was okay...it did include nice fresh fruit. Parking is free, and the parking lot was really nice and easy-to-access from the rooms.

But, after that, the hotel quality begins to really drop. First, the Internet: it barely worked. If this matters you, stay elsewhere. My room (104) smelled very stale, not quite of sewer, but the smell did emanate from the bathroom. The fan in the bathroom was so loud, I didn't turn it on, and did all my bathroom stuff in the dark. The ceilings are thin, so if you get someone above you who is loud, you will hear them. The bed wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. Otherwise, it was a very basic room, that suited me fine as I spent very little time in it.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Every time we travel to San Diego we stay at the Coronado Inn with our pets. Always a pleasant stay. We reserve the same room every trip.Hotel is always very clean and the grounds are very well kept. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 51 is the best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Carson, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I looked for a hotel that was near restaurants and bars while in San Diego. The Coronado Island Inn was one block from restaurants, a liquor store and a market. I had booked the weekend here as the Island Inn's website looked nice.

1) We had arrived late. Well, the check-in was across the street at the Coronado Inn. Once in the room, we noticed the T.V. remote did not work and it was not the same brand as the T.V. I called the front desk to see if they could exchange it or fix it, but they tried walking me through programming the remote. After numerous tries, they said they would send someone first thing in the morning.

2) We had a hard time with the Wifi. Yes, it usually is really easy to enter the passcode and login. Once I was able to enter the passcode, the Wifi was unusable. Called the front desk again, this time they told me that their system does not work with Apple devices. So, all of you Yelpers with Apple iPhones, iPads and Laptops should not stay here then, right?

3) One of the windows would not completely close, so it was cold at night. The other windows did open and close.

4) The Coronado Island Inn is on the main road onto Coronado Island and it is noisy all day and night. If you are a light sleeper, this is not a place for you.

5) Next issue was the shower. The water started backing up and not drain. This happened from the first shower upon arrival as well as the last shower on Sunday.

The next day after a day of fishing the bay, the remote was not reprogrammed or replaced. The service reliability here is terrible. I called again to complain about the remote and Wifi. The front desk said they would send someone to fix or replace the remote, and he showed up within 20 minutes.

6) On a busy weekend, the Coronado Island Inn does not have enough parking spaces. I had to park a block away.

7) This facility does not have an ice machine, but a freezer to hold bags of ice. Well, there was no ice all weekend.

Room Tip: Its cheap with issues
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
South Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

negatives:
The comforters on the beds felt dirty -- wife and I had itchy skin throughout the night. Room has very poor sound and temperature insulation so it got extremely cold in the room during the night and could hear whenever cars drove by. The heater/AC is a wall unit with a broken vent panel so it was somewhat weird. The TV remote didn't work. The shower had poor water pressure.

positives:
The checkin counter was very friendly. The bed mattress was pretty comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hereford, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love the clean, simple, basic, and very affordable rooms that allow me and my family to spend a couple of extra vacation days every year in a gorgeous location. The affordable rooms ensure that we have extra spending cash for anything we want to do around town. There's even a cute pool to cool of in the evening after coming back from the beach. Walking distance to restaurants and to the ferry landing. Be realistic in your expectations, and you will not be disappointed. We always had a very friendly staff, and we've been lucky enough to never have had loud neighbors. Hopefully our luck will hold, we're definitely going back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Coronado Island Inn? Share your experiences!