“You Get What You Pay For” 3 of 5 stars

Coronado Island Inn
301 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Lawrence, Kansas
“You Get What You Pay For”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

At $99 per night, I won't tell you that the Coronado Island Inn was overpriced. Apparently, it was not for Coronado Island. I will tell you to set your expectations to the fact that this is among the lowest priced hotels on the Island.

While not all rooms are identical, I had a small refrigerator in mine, which was nice. The TV also had a lot of channels for a hotel TV. The staff was very friendly. If you don't mind walking across the busiest road in Coronado, they have a descent pool at their more upscale, connected Coronado Inn. Breakfast was okay...it did include nice fresh fruit. Parking is free, and the parking lot was really nice and easy-to-access from the rooms.

But, after that, the hotel quality begins to really drop. First, the Internet: it barely worked. If this matters you, stay elsewhere. My room (104) smelled very stale, not quite of sewer, but the smell did emanate from the bathroom. The fan in the bathroom was so loud, I didn't turn it on, and did all my bathroom stuff in the dark. The ceilings are thin, so if you get someone above you who is loud, you will hear them. The bed wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. Otherwise, it was a very basic room, that suited me fine as I spent very little time in it.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Every time we travel to San Diego we stay at the Coronado Inn with our pets. Always a pleasant stay. We reserve the same room every trip.Hotel is always very clean and the grounds are very well kept. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 51 is the best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Carson, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I looked for a hotel that was near restaurants and bars while in San Diego. The Coronado Island Inn was one block from restaurants, a liquor store and a market. I had booked the weekend here as the Island Inn's website looked nice.

1) We had arrived late. Well, the check-in was across the street at the Coronado Inn. Once in the room, we noticed the T.V. remote did not work and it was not the same brand as the T.V. I called the front desk to see if they could exchange it or fix it, but they tried walking me through programming the remote. After numerous tries, they said they would send someone first thing in the morning.

2) We had a hard time with the Wifi. Yes, it usually is really easy to enter the passcode and login. Once I was able to enter the passcode, the Wifi was unusable. Called the front desk again, this time they told me that their system does not work with Apple devices. So, all of you Yelpers with Apple iPhones, iPads and Laptops should not stay here then, right?

3) One of the windows would not completely close, so it was cold at night. The other windows did open and close.

4) The Coronado Island Inn is on the main road onto Coronado Island and it is noisy all day and night. If you are a light sleeper, this is not a place for you.

5) Next issue was the shower. The water started backing up and not drain. This happened from the first shower upon arrival as well as the last shower on Sunday.

The next day after a day of fishing the bay, the remote was not reprogrammed or replaced. The service reliability here is terrible. I called again to complain about the remote and Wifi. The front desk said they would send someone to fix or replace the remote, and he showed up within 20 minutes.

6) On a busy weekend, the Coronado Island Inn does not have enough parking spaces. I had to park a block away.

7) This facility does not have an ice machine, but a freezer to hold bags of ice. Well, there was no ice all weekend.

Room Tip: Its cheap with issues
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
South Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

negatives:
The comforters on the beds felt dirty -- wife and I had itchy skin throughout the night. Room has very poor sound and temperature insulation so it got extremely cold in the room during the night and could hear whenever cars drove by. The heater/AC is a wall unit with a broken vent panel so it was somewhat weird. The TV remote didn't work. The shower had poor water pressure.

positives:
The checkin counter was very friendly. The bed mattress was pretty comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hereford, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love the clean, simple, basic, and very affordable rooms that allow me and my family to spend a couple of extra vacation days every year in a gorgeous location. The affordable rooms ensure that we have extra spending cash for anything we want to do around town. There's even a cute pool to cool of in the evening after coming back from the beach. Walking distance to restaurants and to the ferry landing. Be realistic in your expectations, and you will not be disappointed. We always had a very friendly staff, and we've been lucky enough to never have had loud neighbors. Hopefully our luck will hold, we're definitely going back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This has to be one of the last remaining original motels on the island. WE ended up here because we neglected to make reservations early enough to capture a more desirable property. The Coronado Island Inn rooms are very small. The motel is at the corner of two of the busiest streets on the island, so commuter noise is as bad as it gets. But the rooms are fairly well insulated. The worst noise comes from the antiquated air conditioning unit mounted to the rear wall of our room. Strangely, one can adjust to the lack of sophistication and amenities ... and the place begins to endear itself to you. But if I had a choice, I'd probably start earlier next year to find a more desirable hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the sister motel across the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

First let me say that I read all of the reviews for 2012 before making our reservations here, and those were very helpful in setting realistic expectations of this property. I find that I sometimes need that 'reminder' so the I give properties a fair shake.

Room was a great size, clean, and neat. Water pressure was horrible, TV remote had a mind of its own, and the internet never worked. If I had asked for a new remote, they would have given it to us, but we were only there 1 night and it was late. The water pressure was evidently a water leak they didn't know about till I told them when we checked out. For a resort island, and on the main drag - that was a good value for the money and a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the same side of the street as the pool - as this property is split into 2 locatio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coronado Island Inn? Share your experiences!