“Upscale in Coronado” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 86 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Californian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dana Place
Transit: Serviced by SDMTS Route 904 http://www.sdmts.com/RouteFiles/routes/pdf/904.pdf
Description: Inspired by its beachfront setting, Hotel del Coronado’s signature restaurant 1500 OCEAN spotlights California Coastal cuisine with fresh local ingredients. Start with a craft cocktail at the Sunset Bar overlooking the Pacific, and then venture inside for an epicurean adventure of seasonal dishes paired with exceptional wines.
San Diego
“Upscale in Coronado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spend a lot of time in Coronado but this is really the only upscale restaurant. The decor is modern, the drinks were fun and the food was fabulous. Our wait staff, Diana, was on top of everything, friendly and very professional. I had the Mint Cucumber Smash cocktail, it is my new favorite! Too bad I can't get it everywhere! We had the Pacific Mussels and the Baby Lettuce Salad and shared them. The mussels were some of the best I've had, the broth was to die for. Lucky they bring mini bolillos to soak up the sauce. The salad was tasty. We had the Wild Seabass and the Ribeye. Both were excellent. The seabass came with turnips that were disguised nicely - I had no idea that was what I was eating. We finished with a Meyer Lemon Cheesecake and it was good as well. Good wine list and lots of nice wines by the glass. Pricey, yes, but definitely worth it!! We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
BBrown3275, Manager at 1500 Ocean, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to 1500 OCEAN and discovered the delicious Mint Cucumber Smash and a host of other delicacies. We appreciate your recognition of Diana and will share your kind words with her. We look forward to your return.

San Diego, California
“1500 Ocean..a delight at the Hotel Del, I cant wait to go again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Dinner out on a date night to Ocean 1500 at the Hotel Del Coronado pure delight.

We arrived and parked in the self parking area,,parking is comped if you spend $50 otherwise it is $16 for 2 hours to discourage day use of the Hotels parking, a fair practice.

A nice stroll across the property along the west side of the hotel past the shops and adjoining eateries to 1500 Ocean. We opted to seat outside the main dining room to enjoy a good cocktail and the evening air. We decided to stay where we were seated and ordered dinner where we were. Service was great, and since we were outside the main dining area we were waited on by the bar hostess and served by the restuarant staff..very gracious and I appreciate the can do attitude..no worries here they are there to ensure you enjoy your dining experience.

There was an large group of business professionals enjoying cocktails in the outside cocktail area so it is wise to dress up a bit at the Del. You will enjoy it and your date will to as it is not out of the norm here.

We opted to share the mussels in a white wine sauce as an appetizer with the complimentary bread rolls. Truly delicious,,I even asked for additional bread to use for the excess wine sauce,,, Man thats good!

For the main course I opted for the marinated skirt steak, which was suggested medium rare with a mashed potato and roasted mushroom side dish,,this dish was truly delicious and filling to where I was able to share a large slice with my date,,,nice n thick, juicy, tender and delicious,,,IM GOING BACK AGAIN FOR THIS EXACT MEAL,,,so good! My date opted for scallops along with a salad dish and shared a bite with me,,it was delicious as well.

After dinner we took a stroll though the interior of the hotel and into some of the shops. We purchased some gourmet dog treats for our three dachsunds (my one, her two) at the sweets store who also has a line of products for your pooch or feline (just ask for the doggie treats) and by the way our dogs took their treat to their own corners, they gave their seal of approval.

You cant go wrong at The Del, and 1500 Ocean,,,go upscale or dress it down a bit, but take the time to enjoy the property.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
BBrown3275, Manager at 1500 Ocean, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We appreciate your enthusiastic endorsement and are pleased that you had such a memorable night at The Del. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope to become a tradition.
“Fine dining in Hotel Del Coronadooffers ocean views at a $$$ price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very nice, quiet fine dining experience with large tables. Not tiny table for 2 like most places.
The menu is abbreviated , offering just one green salad. It was quite good with baby greens, fruit, garbanzo bean puree( hummus) and lemony vinaigrette.
My husband's brussel sprouts, like most restaurants, were served crisp with pancetta & shaved Parmesan.
The pork loin was 2 thick, juicy cuts with plums & rosemary twig. A little fried kale for garnish. Wish there was more delicious kale.
My husband's wild sea bass was moist & delicious also. A little fennel and a pureed fruit garnish.

Protein portions were a good serving size, but salad & apps are small. Yet we left feeling satisfied.

Diana was our server and was pleasant & knowledgeable. Service was well paced.

I would like to see more salads & vegs offered. But everything was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
BBrown3275, Manager at 1500 Ocean, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind support and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience. We appreciate your recognition of Diana and will pass along your praise. We will also share your suggestions with our culinary team and hope you return again soon.
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious Food and Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

While staying at The Del, we ate at 1500 and were pleasantly surprised. We started off with a few oysters and the lamb carpaccio. I have never had lamb carpaccio only tuna and beef, but it was amazing and a great way to start off our meal. Our main courses were each tasty and I would definitely come back to the restaurant and recommend it to anyone looking for a nice restaurant in Coronado.

In addition to a great meal, the staff was top notch and the restaurant nicely designed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BBrown3275, Manager at 1500 Ocean, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We appreciate your wonderful comments about your discovery of our signature restaurant and are pleased that you enjoyed your meal and service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, California
“Almost a ghost”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

One night stay, Asked the concierge for best place to eat. He said the fried chicken at 1500 was not on the menu but was the best, you just have to ask for it. So we did, fried chicken at $32 a plate. I knew 15 minutes into the meal that we were in trouble. I had eaten most of mine and my wife had only eaten a little of hers but we both had the "feeling" you get when you know you ate something bad. We were both up ALL night and in the morning we had to wait around to report it to "someone" who apparently writes this stuff down. They are way overpriced for the service and quality of food you get.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
BBrown3275, Manager at 1500 Ocean, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We will speak with our culinary management team as we take matters such as this very seriously. We appreciate your feedback and thanks again.

Been to 1500 Ocean? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage 1500 Ocean, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.