“On The Water, Pricy, but Excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peohe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 86 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: American, Polynesian, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 1st Avenue
Transit: Bus stop Orange Ave
Bothell, Washington
“On The Water, Pricy, but Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We ate here for seafood after being too tired to go back to downtown. The food was wonderful, the view spectacular, but the prices were high. I actually ended up having the coconut shrip that was listed on the appetizer menu as my main entree with the Peohe's Salad. There is a coupon on the Coronado Island Map for a free dessert and I belive we have the chocolate mouse cheesecake thing. It was so delish.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bears78
“We were pretending we were still in Maui.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We had a lovely evening at Peohes during Restaurant Week celebrating our anniversary. Our food was very good and we enjoyed the beautiful view of downtown San Diego overlooking San Diego Bay. Our waiter didn't have a great personality, but he definitely got the job done. He even overhead our conversation about it getting a little cool and turned on the heater without even asking. It was a lovely evening and a great value.

Chicago, Illinois
“On the water, expensive, but perfectly adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Went there on the advise on the hotel the first night in town. Hotel said it was cheap Asian... wrong. It was casual fine dining with some asian inspired items, to me this was on the water upscale casual.

Food quality was very good, we ordered the oyster appetizers which were excellent , I just had soup and salad which were excellent and my daughter is still talking about the macaroni and cheese on the kids menu. My husband thought the steak was just OK. Still without the wine bill, we spent $150.00 for three adults and a kids menu item.

Wine list was what some call "assessible", I call designed for the tourist from Peoria who orders one bottle of wine a year and wants it to be a lable they recognize from the supermarket. Yes, there were 50 different wines, but Hogue and YellowTaii do not cut it for me especially with a 3x markup from average retail.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, WY
“Don't waste your time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I started going to Peohe's over 25 years ago. At that time you needed to call way in advance for a reservation. In the past few years I have gone back and have left every time saying, "never again." Not only was the food not very good but the service was horrible. At this time, I will NOT go back.
I can only say, good luck to anyone who goes. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
CA
“Perhaps it was a bad night for the staff..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass with wild mushroom risotto and a red wine reduction sauce. Like many of the dishes on the menu, it really sounded great! However, not sure if it was a bad night in the kitchen or what, but the wild mushroom risotto was so heavy on garlic it reminded me of the garlic fries at Petco Park! (The same risotto was served with my wife's swordfish... and was just as bad.)

I would usually chalk this one problem up to an honest mistake, but our entire evening was thick with disappointments. The sea bass itself was simply bland... really a waste of a good piece of fish. My wife's dessert (the banana gelato) was served in a dish that had either been heated or was recently removed from a dishwasher... it turned her gelato into something more reminiscent of a bananan-gelato-float. Very poor form to serve this in a hot dish.

Also, I'm still not sure whether Peohe's serves any bread or equivalent finger food while awaiting appetizers/mains... but nothing was ever provided to us. We thought other tables had bread baskets or something of the sort, but we weren't sure. Regardless, leaving our table empty for 20 minutes while we awaited food was a disappointment.

I'm not an expert on proper cooking of fish - but it was my and my wife's opinion that the sea bass was undercooked and her swordfish was overcooked - but again, this may be more about our tastes than proper cooking. We'll give them a pass on that.

Based on my displeasure with the garlic in the risotto, the waitress did offer alternatives and ultimately made the entire dish on the house, which was appreciated.

The entire evening was somewhat ruined due to the broken air conditioning. I'm guessing at their location they don't always need a/c, but we happened to dine during a heat wave, and the restaurant was very uncomfortable. This really just made all the other shortcomings that much more annoying!

All in all, I expected much more... we won't return.