“Not clean, noisy traffic outside, don't do it!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Rancho Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coronado
El Rancho Motel
Save Saved
You added El Rancho Motel to your Saves list
370 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118   |
Ranked #17 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not clean, noisy traffic outside, don't do it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We booked 4 nights here for our summer vacation at the last minute and needed a budget friendly place to stay. We thought this was the place. Boy were we wrong! The rooms are small, which is no biggie for us since you just sleep there, so we moved the double beds apart to make room for an air mattress for my son to sleep on. There was a meals worth of food under the beds, as if it had not been touched by a vacuum in months. The desk chair in the room had crumbs all over it. Dust everywhere, bathroom and walls! And we are not clean freaks at home by any means. The hotel is right on the main drag coming into Coronado and every car entering the island has to pass right next to the hotel, VERY LOUD! Barely could sleep. Lupe, the owner was sweet, which was some consolation. We only stayed 1 of the 4 nights, thankfully.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

On our last day visiting the San Diego area... we decided to visit the beaches on Coronado Island at the advice of a friend. We instantly fell in love and decided to find a place on the island to spend one more night so we could beach comb and swim. As a family of five on a budget, the most affordable place we could find on the island was the El Rancho Motel. This was a very cute, cottage like motel that was very clean and located right off of Orange ave. and 4th Street. There was parking available in the front of the motel and on the street, as well as in the back of the motel. There was lush vegetation, flowering bushes and gorgeous rose bushes on the property.

Although our room was very small... it was very clean and decorated with beautiful marble tile and simple, clean-cut IKEA furniture. The window had plantation shutters with large louvers. There was a small refrigerator and microwave available. The bathroom was also pretty, clean and maintained with fresh towels and supplies. There were 2 full size beds in the room - my children slept on one and my husband and I slept on the other comfortably. Unlike, the two negative reviews... towels were perfectly fine and A/C unit blew cold air. We were towards the back by the alley, so even though there was a lot of traffic on Orange street, we did not hear it like another reviewer complained about.

Shops and food are a short walk away. There is a very nice park for children a short distance down the street as well. The nearby public beach has restrooms and shower available and isn't as crowded as other beaches in San Diego. The beach located down the way by The Shores Condo's has a multitude of shells and small sand dollars to scavenge. My children were thrilled to see a pod of dolphins jumping about a short distance off the shore.

Our day at this hotel and Coronado Island was definitely the highlight of our vacation. We recommend this motel and we will return again ourselves next year. Our only regret was not spending our entire vacation here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

For the price, this hotel can't be beat. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean, quiet and comfy; and the location is fantastic. Free wireless internet was also a bonus.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

For a budget motel, El Rancho isn't bad, at least in the winter. Considering that the rates are about the lowest in Coronado, the place was a decent value. The carpet could have used a cleaning, but the rest of my room looked pretty spiffy. The motel is old, but my room's decor was very contemporary. (Actually, a budget motel that offers decor of ANY kind is probably an overachiever.) And the motel's exterior, while not modern, is well maintained. The place was quiet during my stay, but then I don't think too many other rooms were occupied, so it's hard to evaluate just how quiet the place is overall. I was there last weekend-----the depths of the off-season in San Diego-----so Orange Avenue wasn't very busy, and I kept my windows closed the whole time. The property is minuscule, however, and any other guests must, of necessity, traipse by right outside your window. In summer the place will probably be much noisier. And I could clearly hear the exhaust fan in the bathroom next door. The motel is about a half-mile or so from the ocean, but Coronado is table-top flat and very pedestrian-friendly, so anyone with normal mobility can easily walk to the beach. (In fact, the walk itself can actually be quite pleasant, as Coronado is a very charming town.) El Rancho offers free parking. An in-room microwave and mini-fridge. There's a grocery store and a couple restaurants three blocks to the east. More stores and restaurants four blocks west. If you're looking for a hotel that will make you feel "special", then you'll have to pay a lot more money in Coronado. If all you need is a well-run cheap motel, well, El Rancho may work for you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

My wife and I and two teenage kids stayed in a room with 2 double beds. The room was noisy as it was adjacent to the street. Also, the bathroom floor was not very clean. It was a hassle getting extra towels. I don't recommend this place for 4 people. The place is OK, and a good value for the price, the people are friendly and helpful. Don't expect a nice place, but it's not unbearable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy, bathroom floor dirty, hard beds
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

I stayed for three nights in October of 2008. This was easily the cheapest reasonable room I could find on Coronado island. My friend and I slept very comfortably and peacefully on the 2 full size beds in our room. We were there for a wedding and had friends staying down the street. We liked our accommodations much better and they were even cheaper! The room was exceptionally clean and outfitted with clean and new Ikea furniture. The TV was good as well. The bathroom was also clean and pretty with a lot of tile. Lupe, the owner/operator was a sweetheart and even called me after we had left to let me know that I had left my cell phone charger behind. On the day we arrived, she called to make sure we were okay and still coming as we were a little later than anticipated and had told her. The location is amazing. What a beautiful island! The location is very close to the bridge and numerous restaurants and delis are only 3-5 blocks away. Also, there is a lot of free parking available as well. A car is almost necessary as you cannot cross the bridge back to San Diego on foot. That being said, the baseball park and the gaslamp quarter are very close by. I'll be sure to come back next time I'm in town. You should too!

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

This is a small but quaint budget motel within walking distance of shops and restaurants on Orange Avenue (parking is at a minimum so this is a real plus). Take a day to walk down the road and explore, ending at the Del.

The rooms have been nicely renovated with LOTS of tile. The outside has a cottage look but inside they've gone for modern decor. The owner/proprietor is a really sweet lady that will go out of her way to make your stay comfortable. There's also a patio, where you can sit and enjoy your morning coffee but not much of a view as it faces busy Orange Avenue.

I will agree with some other reviews about this site: it is a steal at $99/night but the cleaning people leave something to be desired in the bathrooms. If this is a problem for you, don't look in the corners, better yet, clean the corners yourself when you get there and your room will be perfect.

All in all, you can't beat the price for the location and it really is a cute site with friendly staff. I would say this is best for young travelers and groups of friends. Just make sure to book a room away from the street.

• Liked — Price and location.
  • Disliked — Could have been a little cleaner.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to El Rancho Motel? Share your experiences!