“Great burgers!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 86 Restaurants in Coronado
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Located just across the San Diego Bay on Coronado Island. Experience the best burgers in San Diego County, maybe even the world. Come hungry, leave satisfied. Open 7 days a week for lunch, dinner and late night partying. Breakfast served until noon on Saturdays & Sundays. 14 high definition televisions cover all the major sporting events. Are you ready to get rotten?
“Great burgers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

At this time, no children under 21 allowed inside to eat, but otherwise great food, awesome Happy Hour during the week! A walk away from the Coronado/San Diego Ferry, for those who enjoy walking! Sports bar atmosphere and clean!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manama, Bahrain
“As Burger Joints go? One of the best...EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

My wife and I were actually on our way to Coronado Brewing Co. and because of the daily Coronado life and death struggle for lunch time parking we found ourselves walking pass Nicky Rotten’s. We had never heard of it previously and being we are ones that embrace new experiences decided to have a go of it.

Coronado can be known for chilly days in December and even though it was sunny, the day was quite crisp. The hostess that greeted and seated us I am sure was not too appreciative of the required attire of short skirts, fishnet stockings and high heels. Never-the-less, we were seating quickly and the staff was all smiles and friendly. The restaurant was starting to fill up rather fast which was surprising as it was a bit early for the lunch crowd. Due to its location the clientele was made up of quite a bit of uniformed and non-uniformed military personnel so if you not a supporter of the troops I would suggest going elsewhere…like Zanzibar.

Upon perusing of the menu we were presented with a dilemma. The selection of burgers and sandwiches were of such variety that it was difficult to choose an item. I finally decided on the “Stinky” burger, which was bacon and blue cheese burger with their “Rotten” sauce. My wife selected the Bacavo burger which is with bacon, avocado and of course the sauce as well.

Being we were on lunch break I did not partake in a hoppy beverage but I did notice Guinness on tap. That is always a good sign. They seemed to have quite a selection of draft beers which range from fizzy water beers to real beer. We ordered ice tea and a soda and were surprised as I am sure that they just finished float testing the USS Midway in my glass prior to bringing it to the table.

Our food quickly arrived and we were amazed at the size of the burgers. We stared at them for a minute as we contemplated as to the way to best the eight inch tall monsters. After some pressing and squeezing we had them down to a manageable size. I soon took my first bite. Have you ever had a moment where a bite of food seems to stop time? Birds freeze in mid air and for just a split second the earth ceases its rotation? That is what occurred as a result of the flavors that gushed into my mouth. The combination of stronger than usual blue cheese, apple smoked bacon and “Rotten” sauce was an excellent combination. The meat was cooked perfectly as to my request and it was not a messy an experience as I thought it would be. I ate slowly and savored every bite. My wife was equally impressed with her burger and as I sampled it I concurred.

The French fries that accompanied the meal were the standard fries and were good but nothing to write home about. In our next visit we will request the “Garlic Breath Fries” to be the accompaniment.

Additionally, and much to my joy, the establishment was offering a military special so our bill was quite less than expected. The only down side to the experience was due to the fact that the front windows were open and it was only about 59 degrees outside. The quality of the food did make us forget the chill and as we were leaving it was starting to warm up quite nicely. We look forward to our next visit as we both saw many items on the menu that looked to our suiting. OH!!! they also have a 2.5 pound burger challenge and YES, I plan to gather the lads together and give it a go.

See you on the trail and remember, don’t be one of “those.”

John Eric