“Week 16 April 2013, 3rd year for us with this week.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct and Save
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Week 16 April 2013, 3rd year for us with this week.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This week was used this year by my mom and I. We just enjoyed the weather and the tail end of the Annual Flower show. All the homes were so pretty as the prior week was the "judging" of their landscapes ... truly beautiful. VERY peaceful week, looking forward to August now ...

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the beach and have less traffic noise. Rooms on the backside do...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lmartin777, General Manager at Coronado Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hi Jim R,
Thank you for your review of the Coronado Beach Resort. We are very glad you and your mother enjoyed your time with us. It sounds like you had a lot of fun at the Annual Flower Show. We are looking forward to your return in August. See you then!
Leon Martin, GM

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
University Place, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Upon check in, I was assigned a room on the first floor; when I mentioned I was uncomfortable being on the first floor, I was immediately assigned a 2nd floor room, away from Orange Ave. It was so wonderful to be able to leave the windows open to the ocean breezes all day and nite. The one bedroom unit was spacious, immaculate, well stocked, and the service was superb. Anything I needed, was quickly attended to. I had trouble figuring out the DVD players and staff immediately came to the room to show me how to use them.

I did not rent a car while I was here, and walked a lot....if you take a beach walk around 8 am, near the high rises, you may see the Navy Seals working out...worth the early walk, as well as the solitude of so few people on the beach at that hour. The resort also provides "beach crusier" bikes,but I did not use them.

Easy to get to San Diego for sightseeing by either doing the "hop on hop off trolley" which picks up near the hotel, or take the foot ferry, an easy 2 miles walk or there is bus service to the ferry. The town is very clean, and charming and consists primarily of independent merchants who were all very friendly...very few chain stores....also about 6 blocks to a grocery store. Walks in the residential areas are beautiful as well, most everybody has lovely flower gardens. I highly recommend the historical tour that departs from the beautiful and historical Glorietta next door....the tour guide was fabulous and shared a lot of the history of Coronado as well as information about the Hotel Del Coronado.

Although there is no pool, you can take the shuttle to Loews, but must reserve in advance, it fills quickly. I did that one day and enjoyed a fabulous lunch and an afternoon on a louge chair at the pool. But after going there, and also touring the Del Coronado, it was nice to get back to the peaceful Coronado Beach Resort, and stop by and say hello to Cody in the lobby. He just says hello, never goodbye, and I was sad to have to say goodbye to him.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hi sandi s,
First and foremost, we're glad that we could accommodate a room change for you. We want all of our guests to enjoy their vacations comfortably. Our resort is so close to San Diego and Hotel Del Coronado. We're glad you had fun touring the town, the hotel, and visiting a few shops in the area. We aim to provide a very peaceful atmosphere for our guests, and with your recognition, we believe we did just that. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Matawan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here the past two years in February with my family. We always rent two rooms. I was very happy with the accommodations the first year, and the service. This time, I was not happy with the way my reservations were changed by the resort at the last minute. I had called a couple of days before I arrived to confirm the rooms I was expecting to have, but when I got there, they had given away one of the rooms for the first night. Both rooms were to be side by side on the first floor. When we arrived on Saturday morning, I found this out. I was then asked to stay on the third floor, and move down to the original room on Sunday morning. It was a minor inconvenience, and we managed. I was just upset, and could not understand why they would have done that. Other than that it is a nice hotel for family visits to Coronado

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Nice, quaint spot right across the street from the beach and hotel del. The roof deck with hottub had great views and the hot tub water temperature was perfect. The lounge chairs on the roof could have used cushions but the views from the roof and the atmosphere up there was great. When we checked in we wanted a room with balcony and the front desk employee was really helpful in picking out the best available room and let us check them out first. They have an arrangement with the Lowes resort about 4 miles south for using the pool and we went down there for a day and it was fantastic as well. The Coronado Beach Resort is right across the street from some great restaurants like Miguel's and Brigantines, and lots of great shops, ice cream shops, coffee shops down the street as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on a Thursday night, booked our room through Expedia and booked a king room and were given queen room. We complained and were given a two bedroom with a queen and 2 singles??!?? Gave up arguing for the night and just went to bed. Next morning we complained and they found us a king room. This resort does not have regular housekeeping, this was unexpected. I enjoy going out for the day and returning to a freshly made bed, this does not happen at this resort. If you want your bed made, do it yourself!! Any questions we had about anything to do with Coronado were met with resounding "I don't knows" from the front desk staff even simple ones such as "do you know where I can get a pedicure?" ( right around the corner at BEPolished) Also, there are no supplies such as shampoo and conditioner in the rooms and when we requested them discovered they were out of hair conditioner. The Hot Tub and sauna were both broken during our trip and they were too lazy to even put a sign on the hot tub to indicate this fact, this was discovered by us after putting on our suits and trekking to the third floor and dipping my toe into the cold water :-(. Coronado is beautiful and I will definitely return, I will not stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
Concord, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Coronado Beach Resort the first week of April with our two sons and had a fabulous time. The location is perfect, just a two minute walk down to the beach, along the edge of the Hotel del Coronado. The Coronado Beach is beautiful and plenty LARGE enough, so no problems with trying to pick out a spot each day. The resort was very nice, one of our favorite things was all the beach toys, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. that they provide for you in the lobby. Just pop by and grab what you need or want for the beach and go...oh, and they provide beach towels also. My husband and our boys loved the lounge with the pool table and ping pong, we spent time each day there playing pool and ping pong. Overall, we really liked the resort and it offered just what we were looking for on this vacation.

Room Tip: We chose a room that faces away from the ocean and Orange Ave, because they provide a quieter atmosp...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lmartin777, General Manager at Coronado Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Melissa L,
Thank you for reviewing the Coronado Beach Resort. We're thrilled to hear that your family had such a wonderful time. The lounge is always a great way to keep busy. We're glad your husband and children enjoyed playing pool and ping pong. We hope to welcome you all back soon!
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our first visit to Coronado Beach Resort, which has many positive attributes. The location is top notch - especially the location. Free parking in the basement and walk or bike to everything on Coronado. Easy on/off via the bridge to get to places like Legoland, Seaworld, the Zoo, La Jolla, Point Loma and the Safari Park, all of which we did. Directly across the street is the Del and a beautiful beach. Walk to restaurants, shops, library and parks in Coronado from the CBR. Short drive or bike ride to the Silver Strand beach for shelling and to the Loewe's for swimming in their 3 heated pools.

Other upsides: our unit was very clean and had plenty of space. We rented a 2 bedroom, which unexpectedly had a nice gas fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. Lobby was clean and welcoming, always had coffee. Free bikes to check out, helmets to borrow, free videos to borrow, decent small gym and lots of beach towels, chairs, and toys for loan. Nice roof deck with grill, sauna and hot tub. We used the hot tub a few times while there and enjoyed it.

Unexpected downsides to the unit: 2nd bedroom is a converted dining room with a pull curtain in front of it, not a door that closes. Fine for our nine year old who thought it was a cool "fort" but not fine if you were traveling with younger kids or a baby who needs quiet to nap midday or absolute quiet to go to sleep early when you want to be up watching TV, talking, etc in the living room. Another downside was the kitchen, which was not a full kitchen but rather a kitchenette. Had a full size fridge, pantry, dishwasher and microwave and was stocked with pots and pans and dishes, but oddly did not have a stove or oven but rather a 2 burner hotplate that you had to move in and out of the pantry due to very limited counter space. I have stayed in less expensive places with more of a full kitchen and true 2nd bedroom.

The biggest downside, however, was the traffic noise. I had read this on TripAdvisor so when I made my reservation in September 2012 for March 2013, I specifically requested a unit on an upper floor on the quiet side. I called the week before we arrived and reiterated this request. When I arrived on Saturday, however, the woman behind the desk seemed to have never heard of this request when she assigned us to the first floor on the Orange Avenue side. The first floor units on that side of the building are literally on the street. Cars drive by about eight feet from your windows at all hours of the day and night and make sleep virtually impossible. They start roaring by at about 4 AM and end about 11 PM every day. Every day we were there I was awakened at 4 AM by very loud traffic because of this.

The Resort staff did offer to have us move to another unit, but by the time they called to tell us that we had already gone grocery shopping and put food in the fridge, had unpacked all of our stuff and were out at LegoLand all day and could not move. So, short answer is that when you request your unit, INSIST on one of the quiet side or negotiate your rate way down. This really is a nice place with a good location, but unless you are prepared not to sleep (I am a city dweller and had not dealt with traffic noise like this), you will not be able to stay on the Orange Avenue side of the building, at least on the first floor.

Room Tip: Insist on staying on the residential or quiet side of the building, not on the Orange avenue side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi BarbWashingtonDC,
We're so thrilled we could be the first to welcome you to Coronado Beach Resort. Our location is prime to many parks and attractions in the area. There's many great shops and restaurants as well, we hope you had fun checking them out. We hope that we can accommodate you during your next stay to Coronado! In regards to the traffic noise on Orange Avenue, this can be avoided by staying on the east side of the building. The third floor provides excellent reviews of Downtown San Diego.
Leon Martin

Been to Coronado Beach Resort? Share your experiences!