“Wonderful Stay at 1906 Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Coronado
Nashville
“Wonderful Stay at 1906 Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from our first visit to San Diego and stayed at the 1906 Lodge. I am SO glad we did! Couldn't have picked a more perfect spot - we loved it. If you like a quiet place away from the crowd - this is it. Coronado Island is such a lovely area to stay - restaurants, shops, beach, etc. And everything is within walking distance. The Lodge includes delicious breakfast with different hot entree each morning. We parked in their secure garage which was a plus. And I loved using the beverage station for bottled water when returning from a walk or making a cup of hot tea at the end of the day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for noting our complimentary chilled bottled water!

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
No. California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

There's a reason 1906 Lodge is rated #1 in Coronado - well, actually there are several reasons. Topping my list is the service we received. Their service starts with the well designed website. The charming property and rooms are showcased beautifully and the amenities and policies are clearly communicated. I found the Lodge and our room (Tent City) to be as charming in real life as it was in the photos. I was impressed by the innkeeper's helpfulness and warmth as I had questions and a few requests for our stay. Each request was kindly accommodated. Policies were again clearly stated both in our phone conversation and follow up emails - great communication!

One of the hallmarks of excellent service is how things are handled when there's a glitch and I was impressed again when we arrived to check in. Sue had emailed me the day before our arrival about needing to change our room since the air conditioning in Star Park (our original choice) was acting up. Unfortunately, we were making the drive in two days and had already left so I didn't get her email as I can only access my email on a computer. In moving us to another room Sue not only considered our comfort (we stayed in early October when it was unseasonably warm) but also my request for a quiet room, a sofa, king bed, and a table. Although for a moment I was a tad disappointed not to get our first choice, (hope it didn't show), Tent City was an excellent substitution and I was very much impressed that we were given a discount to make up for any initial disappointment. That is top notch service!

We found such top notch service throughout our stay. From the innkeepers to the kitchen staff and housekeepers, everyone was helpful and friendly yet not intrusive. They provide a nice breakfast buffet and hot cooked dish daily but kindly cooked a special breakfast each morning for me to accommodate my food allergies. I was there to rest while my husband had business in San Diego and the Lodge was perfect - our room was quiet, charming and comfortable. Since my husband's class lasted all day, not only did they arrange a late checkout time (for a modest fee) I was also welcome to hang out in the parlor and dining room until he came.

The Lodge is loaded with charm - delightful touches not only in the rooms but everywhere, even by the door in the parking garage (the free underground parking was a fabulous amenity). The entire Lodge is beautifully restored and decorated with attention to detail and quality - a delightful tribute to the past. I loved the old photos throughout the lodge, especially the photos of the original Tent City in our suite. Each of the individually decorated rooms are themed and named to reflect part of Coronado's history - how clever! All the innkeepers are helpful and knowledgeable so I was comfortable asking questions and I got to borrow a book about Coronado's history which enhanced my visit. They were also gracious about helping me find my way around town on foot and btw, the location is fabulous - just around the corner and mere minutes walking distance from shops, restaurants and the beach but away from the noise in a peaceful and pretty neighborhood.

Tent City is a charming, romantic, spacious suite with a comfy King bed and a cozy fireplace, which warms up the room nicely in the evening - I kept forgetting to ask how to work the thermostat. Have to give a shout out to the housekeepers for the clean room and the white fluffy towels. Also, thanks for keeping the water bottles stocked in the mini fridge.

Just a note, when I made reservations I explained about my food allergies however I didn't think to let the innkeepers know in advance that my husband wouldn't be eating breakfast during our stay. So if you have special needs or you won't be eating breakfast, it's a good thing to give them notice.

The only drawbacks were minor. Other reviews have mentioned the spotty wifi but once they gave me cables, the computer worked in the room just fine. There were plans for improvements so that may no longer be an issue. Also, I prefer to unpack and put the suitcase out of the way but the closet was too small so we had to leave it out in the sitting room on the luggage rack. The website is great but adding a map of the lodge so you can see where the rooms are located on the property and be able to select by location as well as decor and amenities would be nice. But these are very minor details considering the major charm, comfort, and service you'll find here. The 1906 Lodge deserves its reputation as Coronado's best hotel!

Room Tip: Tent City is on the bottom floor and is a spacious suite at the back left corner of the property. It...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I loved your review title - Classy in Coronado! Your daughter picked our "top of the line" North Island Suite. Nice! So glad you had a wonderful 45th anniversary getaway!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a very nice weekend on Coronado. While overall our stay was very pleasant at the 1906 Lodge, I'd suggest a few upgrades to amenities that seem fitting for the cost of a stay there.
As in most deluxe accomodations, the quilt on the bed should be encased with a duvet rather than
loose sheets. A small thing, but there is always a yuk factor when the sheets come apart and reveal bedding that was against some part of another guest. While it is nice to have a newspaper in the common area, one local and one national newspaper for 17 rooms seems rather scant.
While it might seem like an economy for the hotel, low grade tissues in the bathroom do not speak of a caring environment for guests. That staff here is very good, grounds well kept and breakfast is okay, but not exceptional.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on our amenities. I would like to comment on a couple of the items you mentioned that reflect our desire to be a bit "green" for our environment. We chose the bath tissue because it is LEED certified, created from rapidly renewable fiber like acacia (and is actually a bit more expensive). Similarly, we only offer the Coronado, San Diego and USA Today newspapers as so many of our guests prefer to read online. We realize there is a bit of a tradeoff between luxury and being environmentally friendly.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will return soon!
Park Hills, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Thanks to all the wonderful Innkeepers at B&B 1906 Lodge!!!!
You guys went out of your way to make are honeymoon such a joy and so perfect.
We were treat with such love and giving. There is no words to tell how well we were treated, anything we asked for was done, and always with those wonderful smiles. You made us fell so welcome to be there, sort of like family. All the workers were so very friendly and so polite, so egar to help you in anyway they could. We will be back, thank you all again for making our stay so wonderful. God bless, Bill & Karen Gerhardstein

Room Tip: There all good. We like the bigger suite's with balconeys and good views!!
Chula Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

A night's stay at the 1906 Lodge was gifted to us, from our daughter, for our 45th wedding anniversary. We are huge B&B fans but haven't felt the need to write a review until our stay here...

Denese was the first of the four innkeepers that we met. She greeted us as we arrived, gave us a tour and brief history of the former boarding house before showing us to our room.

It was love at first sight! The North Island Luxury Suite would be our home away from home! We couldn't wait to soak in the gorgeous 2 person, in-room, spa tub. Located on the second floor, this room was spacious yet private and oh, so quiet!

At 5:00 we gathered in the parlor, with some other lodge guests, for some complimentary wine and munchies. It was nice to sit back and listen to some of the stories shared by the innkeepers and guests alike.

Breakfast is served in the Lodge's dining room from 8-10am. We were met with "good morning cheeriness" and introduced to all of the breakfast fare. From fresh homemade scones and muffins to yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereals, toast, juices, coffee and teas...but, also included was a gourmet hot entree, different each day. We enjoyed the wonderful flavors of the "Baked Eggs Florentine with Hollandaise Sauce"...To die for! Thank you Denese, Susan, Lori and Alyssa for feeding us so well and for making us feel so at home!

If you are looking for a quiet and romantic get-away with personalized, friendly service, fantastic breakfast, free parking, complimentary wine and snacks, clean and comfortable rooms...then the 1906 Lodge is the perfect hotel/b&b for you! We plan to celebrate our anniversary at the 1906 Lodge every year!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, each one a bit different. We might have to try them all!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you to your daughter for spoiling you in our fabulous North Island suite. It is definitely our top of the line room!

I appreciate your recognition of my innkeepers who truly enjoy hosting our guests!
Bakersfield, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the 1906 Lodge in early October for four nights in the Tea Garden Room. First, let me start by saying I booked out room by calling them directly and I was very impressed with their attention to detail. Right from the start, you get the feeling that they care about your stay with them and want it to be an enjoyable experience.

As others have mentioned, upon arrival you are checked in and receive a tour of the grounds and your room. You are not allowed to check in early unless you pay extra, so be aware of that policy. I had already made myself familiar with their policies, so I just made sure to plan our day accordingly.

Each afternoon, they have wine, lemonade and snacks in the parlor. It was a nice touch and we met some wonderful people during this relaxing time. Also, they have many restaurant menus available in the parlor to browse through. My husband and I sat drinking a glass of wine and planning dinner a couple of nighs.

Breakfast is served daily. Their homemade granola is a nice touch and they had fresh fruit daily. They also serve a hot entree daily. For us, the only draw back to the hot meal is that they do not serve meat. Over the course of our stay, we grew tired of eating so many carbs and really craved more protein. Another draw back is that the hot entree isn't served until about 9 o'clock. Many guests were anxiously waiting for something warm to eat. I had several people comment that they thought it was much too late and also complain that they wished there was some sort of meat. By the end of our stay, we opted to go around the corner for some more traditional breakfast fare. Another thing that was disappointing was that they don't have a Keurig coffee maker. It was surprising as most decent hotels these days have them.

Our room was very clean upon arrival. I am a bit of a germaphobe, and I felt quite comfortable. I will say that unfortunately, our room was not cleaned as well on the following days. Around our jacuzzi tub and where our drink glasses had been sat were missed not wiped down subsequent days.

Speaking of house keeping...we did have a bad experience with them. After spending our first night, we went downstairs for breakfast the next morning. When we came back up to our room, neither of us was feeling very well. I decided to soak in the jacuzzi tub and my husband was resting in bed. The next thing we knew, the housekeeper had entered our room. We had placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, however the housekeeper used her key and entered our room anyway. The doors don't have a chain lock like some hotels have to ensure no one enters and before we knew if, the housekeeper had entered our room. My husband was very upest (as was I since I was nude in the tub) and he called down to speak to someone regarding the situation. Denise answered the phone and was defensive about it and told him it was past time for check out. When my husband informed her that we were booked for four nights, she didn't believe him and put him on hold to verify herself that we in fact had paid for multiple nights. Finally, my husband told her that if there was a problem, we would pack our beloingings and leave immediately. I have to say, I was extremely disappointed with the way the siuation was handled and it made us both feel unwelcomed. I feel it would have been much more appropriate to call our hotel room or our cell phone if they thought it was time for us to check out. In my opinion, when a guest has a "Do Not Disturb" sign outside their door, it is not acceptable to barge in on them. I think the housekeepers have a problem with intruding on people because over the course of our stay, I overheard 2 other situations where the housekeepers walked in on guests and were apologizing for intruding.

The jacuzzi tub is amazing! It was my favorite part of the entire room. I have hip problems and the huge jacuzzi tub was a welcome treat for my sore joints and muscles. My husband enjoyed the jacuzzi as well. He is 6'5" and it was plenty large enough to accomodate him

The hotel is located in a pleasant neighborhood and a block or two from Hotel Del and the beach. Orange Avenue is just one block up and has a lot of shops, boutiques and restaurants. Coronado is wonderful. I had spent a considerable amount of time researching and planning things to do in San Diego, however once we crossed the bridge in to Coronado we didn't head back to San Diego until 4 days later when we went home. There really is a lot to see and do. We also just relaxed and enjoyed the low key atmosphere much of the time strolling around town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I apologize profusely for the housekeeping intrusion and our mistake in thinking you were checking out. It obviously was not handled well. I will address this situation with my entire staff.

Regarding our vegetarian breakfast, we have found that the vast majority of our guests prefer a meatless meal. We do try to accommodate most food allergies, diet restrictions, and other special needs (lactose intolerance, gluten free, vegan, etc.). We are a small property and make everything onsite for our complimentary breakfast . By having a different hot entree each day of the week, we try to provide variety.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review!
"The OC", CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cons:
*Could hear people in adjacent and overhead rooms (dog barking, TV on, walking overhead).
*Wouldn't let you take hot breakfast entree to your room... I thought this was a weird rule... I didn't really understand why. My husband didn't want to wake up for breakfast but he wanted to eat when he work up so I was going to bring it to him, but they wouldn't allow it.
*No view of water (or anything).
No pool or fitness center.

Pros:
*Good location right across from Hotel Del Coronado & beach... walking distance from all the great activity on Orange Ave.
*Free secure, underground parking - I LOVE not being nickeled and dimed for every "extra"... it was SO nice to have EVERYTHING included in the price we paid!
*Free internet for all devices - our signal was weak and they brought over a booster to our room and it worked perfectly after that!
*Free breakfast
*Free use of chairs, umbrellas, ice chest, beach towels
*Free appetizers and wine in the evenings -
*Easy to work with and friendly, helpful service
*Fireplace in room
*Big, jacuzzi tub in room
*Over all well-appointed room and place.

Definitely rent a bike and ride all over the island. That was delightful!

We would definitely stay here again (ESPECIALLY because we got a great last minute deal through tripadvisor!!!)!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for finding us through a last minute special deal on Trip Advisor.!

I appreciate your comment that you loved not "being nickeled and dimed for every extra". That's my philosophy. So we include breakfast, parking, afternoon wine & snacks, and even chilled bottled water in our rate.

I apologize if you were disturbed by our guest with the service dog. We do not allow personal guests but do welcome service animals, although that is a rare occurrence.

Regarding breakfast in your suite, unfortunately being a small property we aren't staffed to provide meals in the rooms. However, when we know in advance that a guest won't be able to attend breakfast during our 2 hour window, we can provide a boxed breakfast delivered the night before.

Been to 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach? Share your experiences!