“Stunning but annoying” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Brisbane
“Stunning but annoying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have waited 20 years to stay at this hotel, eventually I had the funds to stay for one night. I expected to pay premium prices for the accommodation, parking, meals, resort fees etc, however, I am extremely annoyed by the credit card bond that remains held against my bank account eight days after our visit and settlement of our account in full. The hotel is stunning, the room was comfortable and the setting is beautiful but come on Coronado, holding hundreds of dollars when the bill has been paid in full is just not on. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Avoid the new building, stay in the original hotel or by the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We are pleased that you had the opportunity to stay at the resort and enjoyed the resort. We apologize for the inconvenience of our debit card policy. In compliance with the law, we release any authorization funds held upon check out; however, it can take your issuing bank up to 30 days to release the funds back to you. Every bank has its own policy and time frame. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Polish first
baton rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

While I stayed in San Diego, we took the quick ferry ride to the Del and loved every minute of it. We had lunch and drinks on the Veranda. Crowded but fabulous. I felt as if it was 1955 and at any time the Rat Pack would walk by smoking cigars. Tons of things going on- waves crashing, pool had swimmers galore, ice skating rink was packed, wow!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Frank Sinatra has been to The Del! We’re pleased that you had the opportunity to visit this legendary resort and enjoy its historic ambiance. We hope you return again soon for a longer stay.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at the hotel for a few days in January 2014, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

It's located on the beach, with many rooms facing the ocean. Mine didn't, but those that did looked superb. I could go on and on describing the unique interior, or the famous names (including movie stars and presidents) that have stayed there in the past, or the long list of amenities, restaurants and spas the hotel has, but you can see all of those on the website. What really struck me about the place though was it's feel. It's not a chain hotel, or a big brand multinational, but it's huge. Somehow though, they've managed to keep it feeling like a family run place. I really enjoyed it.

My room was plenty big enough, and well furnished. It was by no means modern, but a long way from tired or old. The fixtures and fittings appeared to be from it's heyday in '60s, which just adds to the hotels charm.

Breakfast was very good. It's buffet style, with plenty of choice, along with made to order stations.

The beach is immediately accessible from the rear of the hotel. It's quite stunning: miles of white sand and calm Pacific Ocean (not sure it's always like that). I had a stroll along it, and was fortunate enough to see a small pod of dolphins swimming up close to the shore, playing in the gentle waves.

I very much enjoyed my stay, and only wish I didn't actually have to work while I was there.

Would I stay again? Yes, without hesitation. It's the kind of place you could go with the whole family, or just for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Try stay in the main hotel, and get a sea facing room if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your recommendation and are thrilled that you enjoyed The Del’s historic ambiance. We’ve had unseasonably warm weather this month and are glad you had the opportunity to walk along the beach. We hope you return soon for a vacation.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Coming from LA on the I5 traffic is very heavy but it is a straight shot to the lovely Coronado bridge and then more heavy traffic on Coronado Island to the hotel entrance. Our arrival was marred by a kamikaze valet driver who cut in front of us and banged LF fender and headlight. Hotel management was on the spot, courteous and efficient. Check in was prompt and we got lost in the dark trying to find beachfront room. The room was nice and clean and the view spectacular the next morning. A minor downside being so close to the beach is a lot of foot traffic immediaty in front of the porch. Lot of kids on the green, dogs, bikes. Although it sounds great a room in the main building facing the ocean might be a better choice. Our NY eve dinner at the Ocean restaurant was perfect. We had breakfast and lunch at the Sheewater which was consistently good. Great fish and chips. Overall a good trip.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We’re delighted that you chose to ring in the New Year at The Del and enjoyed your dining experiences. We apologize for the unusual arrival experience and appreciate your recognition of our management. We hope you escape from Los Angeles again soon for another visit.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had a lovely time at the hotel del
Rooms in the original building were very nice with lots of light and outlets. A lot of outdoor dining with ocean views. The 1500 was excellent for dinner. Exceeded our expectations in every way. Would definitely co e again

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your endorsement and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We travelled with our son to San Diego to visit Legoland, Sea World and the Zoo. All were wonderful and fun but the highlight was staying at the "Del". Wow. We had a beautifully renovated deluxe ocean view junior suite in the main building. Our bed was so comfortable, my husband and I agree that we slept fantastically all week. The car service offered was top notch to get us where we needed to go and concierge was incredible at making arrangements, getting tickets and preparing our boarding passes for our flight back to Calgary.

We also experienced the Del's Easter brunch in the Ballroom which was spectacular. Table after table of delicious food, a bottle of champagne at our table and a view of the Pacific and the Easter egg hunt about to start on the grounds below. Exquisite. The Easter egg hunt with the Easter bunny was such a fun event, our almost 7 year old son had a blast.

Leroy's was a great find down the street for great food, cocktails and live music. We ended up eating there twice. 1500 Ocean in the Del was also a treat. Perfect food and service.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted that you enjoyed your holiday visit to The Del! As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. We hope to become a family tradition and look forward to welcoming you back.
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I visited the Hotel del Coronado in September of 2012 (I am incredibly late in writing this review) and our entire 5 day stay was perfect. We stayed in a beachfront room in the newer portion of the hotel and we couldn't have been more comfortable. It was such a treat to be able to lie in our king size bed and stare out at the blue pacific ocean.

Being at the hotel truly made me feel like I was stepping back in time. Although the hotel has been modernized over the years, it hasn't lost any of its original beauty. We appreciated the modern touches of a swimming pool and hot tub, but also loved wandering through the lobby and narrow hallways of the original section of the hotel. As a fan of the paranormal, I really enjoyed hearing about the hotel's resident ghosts and exploring every corner of the hotel for any signs of ghostly visitors.

The restaurants at the hotel were all very good, I highly recommend trying the El Pepino (a martini with cucumber and jalepeno). However, I found the most delightful dining to be at the restaurants scattered around Coronado. On our last night we enjoyed a private campfire and s'mores on the beach. How romantic! As an added bonus, I traveled here with my boyfriend and when we left, he was my fiance! I will remember his proposal for the rest of my life and how the Hotel del Coronado was a huge part of it. We still talk fondly about the Hotel del Coronado nearly two years later and how we hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the newer section for a more modern take on the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we’re thrilled that your stay at The Del remains such a pleasant memory. The resort has a long history of romance (Bogey & Bacall, Lucy & Desi) and you’re now a part of it. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!