“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Bethesda, Maryland
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Del. First, if you do not like historic properties, save yourself a negative experience and stay in a newly constructed hotel. The Del does have some uneven stairs, but it has the charm and character that come with age. A stay on the 4th floor Victorian building yielded a clean, updated room with comfortable bedding and plush carpet. A large patio overlooked the beautifully landscaped courtyard. If you don't enjoy crowds, don't stay on the weekend. Make reservations in advance, and you will have no problem getting that outdoor table at sunset. We practically had the beach to ourselves. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The drinks are a bit pricey, but you are paying for scenery. I would avoid the Ocean Towers as they look generic and it seems they get the most complaints. The California Cabanas have a retro look, but seem awquardly located. Be very specific when booking where you want to stay. Would return again!

• Stayed August 2013
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the historic ambiance that makes The Del so special. The best time to visit is during the Fall when the weather is perfect and the crowds are gone. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff and look forward to welcoming you back again.

2,557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ever walk into a place and get that ripped-from-the-pages-of-a-Stephen-King-novel vibe?

The Hotel Del Coronado (or Hotel Del, as us locals call it) has always felt like that to me. I've been there dozens of times for meetings, dinners, weddings or Christmas tea, but this is the first time I've spent the night. What an odd experience.

My company just held its annual sales meeting at the Hotel Del this week, and the weather was spectacular, of course. I live just across the bridge so I could only justify staying one night while the rest of the 120+ co-workers stayed the week. While I tried to check in, the very friendly young woman at registration was busy getting two apparently homeless women kicked off the couches in the lobby, where they'd appeared to have taken root. She scored big points in my book for protecting the Hotel Del brand, but lost a few for being too preoccupied with the drama to process my registration quickly.

The room I had was on the third floor of the main building, and even though it was a low-rent bayview room, it was spacious, spotless and the beds were amazing. The room was equipped with a ceiling fan, which was a bonus because if I'm going to stay in a beach-side hotel, the last thing I want to do is breathe air conditioning all night.

The bathroom of the room was tiny, and I'm talking cruise-ship-bathroom tiny. The door hit the toilet, the toilet paper was mounted on the back of the bathroom door, and when I blew my hair dry, my elbows smacked into the wall. Tiiiiiny.

Now then, all this seems perfectly normal, right? Well, maybe you've heard that the Hotel Del has a resident ghost named Kate Morgan. Her story's pretty interesting, and I won't go into it here. Let's just say she had a sad and hard life. Oh yeah, and while there's a dispute whether it's murder or suicide, she died in Room 3327. Just down the hall from me. The only sign of this may have been when the lights in the bathroom, controlled by a motion detector, went on a couple of times when I was nowhere near the bathroom.

When I went down to breakfast in the morning, I casually threw out the question, "So, anyone visited by the ghost?" Four people proceded to tell me of weird things happening. One woman heard sobbing as she turned the corner on the third floor but no one was there. Another asked to move out of the old building into the new section when the water in her sink turned on for no apparent reason. Twice. Yet another had a book fall over in a gift shop more than 10 feet away from any other person in the shop.

Straaange.

Now then, the original elevator in the very elegant lobby still has an elevator operator. Or rather, a rotating team of operators. During my time there, the two operators I encountered were kind, twinkle-in-the-eye ancient men wearing uniforms straight from the turn of the century. There were both slightly hunched from decades of swinging their right arms back and forth to open and shut the heavy brass scrollwork around the elevator. And both could be straight from The Shining Part II. I kid you not.

Other than all those quirks, the Hotel Del is really a fantastic resort. The location could not be better, the service was friendly, efficient (generally) and anticipatory. The food was pretty good (not great). Despite being a stone's throw from a bustling village, it still has a slightly off-the-grid feel to it, as demonstrated by the spotty wifi coverage.

Would I go back? You know, if I were the stay-cation sort of person, I would. But only if they put me in the new building. Sorry, Kate.

Room Tip: People who stayed in the cottages were ecstatic with their accommodations. While the original buildi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
What a colorful commentary! We’re delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay at The Del and had quite the experiences and observations. The 125-year old Victorian Building does have its charm. It was originally over 400 rooms and through the years, rooms have been modified (mostly to add restrooms) resulting in the fact that no two rooms are alike. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to your return.
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel WAS once, I'm sure, a great property... Today, the Del is an old tired hotel that is so crowded with visiting tourists, that you really feel like you are at Disneyland! They continue to charge very high room rates and get away with it because of its history, but I do not plan on returning until they give it a major facelift!! Our room was cramped and the hallway was very unkept: room service trays took hours to be picked up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. The resort does get quite busy during the summer and we appreciate your input.
long island, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We did a day trip to San Diego and this was one of our stops. Coronado is spectacular. We lucked out finding a spot right next to this hotel and walked along this oceanfront property. Stopped to have a drink overlooking the ocean. It is just such a peaceful environment. The beachfront cottages looked so welcoming I can't wait to go back and spend some real quality time there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re pleased that you had the opportunity to spend some time at The Del and enjoyed its premium location on the Best Beach in America. We hope you return for an overnight stay soon.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I made a reservation to stay at this hotel for a one night get away for my husband and I, for this upcoming Labor Day weekend. I've always heard of this hotel as a being a beautiful place for couples and a perfect place for that. So, I was a bit surprised that I found rooms available with such a short notice.

So, I went ahead & booked a reservation thru their mobile site as I was using my iphone at the time. I had 2 room/rates I was contemplating on. A resort king room or a run of the house rate, which was only $2.00 less than the other. After that, I did some research on the internet and as some suggested, I called the hotel to get an idea of how this specific hotel normally handle people that check in with such rates. The operator referred me to the reservation department, who then referred me to the hotel front desk, since they are the ones who check in guests and should have the information I needed. As soon as Rosie at the front desk answered the phone and I told her my question was regarding a "roam of house" rate, she immediately asked me where I found the rate. I told her that I found it on their hotel website and she put me on hold for more than 5 minutes. When she got back on the phone, she immediately tells me that she didn't find the rate I was talking about on their site and that, those rates are only for groups...not for individual booking. I explained to Rosie that the rate I found was not on their regular site, rather their mobile web site and that's probably why she didn't see it. After all, the rate I booked stated "mobile special roam of house rate." She again put me on hold for another 5 minutes, returned on the phone and re-iterated to me that roam of house rates are only for groups. I tried to be as patient as possible with this woman and advised her that the reason for my call had nothing to do w/ the information she's giving me. I had already booked the rate she's saying, isn't available for me so that was not an issue for me. I told her as simply as I could, that the reason for my call (which I never had the chance to really ask or tell her) was to find out what usually happens to people they check in with roam of house rates. I wanted to know, if I had made the right choice of booking that rate instead of the resort king rate which would mean that there's no question to what kind of room we would be getting upon check-in. However, I've read on the internet that it may be better to select roam of house rates, because there's a chance that we could get a better room if it's available upon check-in...but that it depends on the hotel, so make sure to ask and that was the main purpose of my call. She starts explaining to me what roam of house rates mean and that only groups are given those rates (again!)...I told her I know what the rate means, I'm asking what the usual outcome is with people checking in w/ those rates based on front desk experience in the past. She completely did not understand after all my explanations & again, stated that the rate I'm talking about is only for groups. At that point, I asked to speak to her manager and she stated that she is a manager. Although I was shocked to hear that, I asked her if she had a superior that she reports to that I could speak to. She abided and put me on hold...again. Heather then picks up the phone. I tell Heather that Rosie and I were not understanding each other and I told her that the reason again for my call was to find out what the front desk experience is for people who check in with roam of house rates. Obviously, at this point Rosie had already given her, her version of our conversation and the response I got was....again an explanation of how roam of house rates are only for groups and that the rate I was talking about was not on their website. She told me to make sure I was on the right hotel site. Really??? I told her I would be more than happy to send them an e-mail of the screenshot I took of the reservation I just made thru their mobile site, because obviously, they were never going to believe me. She declined, and instead told me it was fine, that they would be in touch w/ reservations department in the morning and verify, because if I did make a reservation for such rate, then it is obviously an error and it needs to be fixed. I was so frustrated at this point, that I just cancelled the reservation I made. If the experience I'm getting at the front desk level is already this bad, what more our upcoming stay.

I don't normally like to put this much detail in my reviews, unless I am doing a wonderful review. Also, I'm not even sure if Trip Advisor will allow this review to post, since we didn't get to stay here. However, I hope they do because obviously, we would have if it wasn't for the horrible experience I had w/ the front desk people. I've seen several negative reviews about the front desk and I'm wondering when hotel management will get a clue that their front desk people obviously need customer service retraining. They are driving away people/business which means the hotel is losing money. I can just imagine how many other people have experienced this and have decided to either cancel or decided not to book a room period. I'm hoping management will see this and reply as to how they will handle this incident. I am going to send an email directly to the hotel upper management and/or their corporate office, but I wanted to post this to Trip Advisor because I believe others should know of my experience and also, to see if management would bother replying to it for everyone to see.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights after driving around California for 2 weeks previously. We wanted somewhere that would allow us just to relax an enjoy ourselves and 'the Del' certainly didn't disappoint!
We loved Coronado Island the hotel is clearly the flagship hotel. We stayed in the Towers with a fabulous view of the beach and the back of the hotel.
Loved the fact that there is an 'adults only' pool - peace and quiet guaranteed, along with it's own bar and snack service.
Coronado Island is an ideal holiday venue - we walked into the village every morning an there is a great choice of places to have breakfast, as well as eating out in an evening too. Plenty of little shops to spend your money too on gifts!
Hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.
It's a big place but it needn't feel overwhelming, definately would recommend to others.
Room was a good size, plenty of fresh bath towels each day.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower - but ask for a beach-facing room rather than the car park.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind support! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Del and had the opportunity to explore the quaint village of Coronado. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our great staff. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.
La Mesa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We come here when we want a beach mini-vacation. It is usually a great trip, with nice rooms and wonderful service. This time, we got to our room, an oceanview. I did not realize there were oceanview rooms without a balcony. I will make sure to request a balcony in the future. There was also a smell coming from the bathroom. When it didn't disappear after a while, we informed the front desk. It seemed to have been taken care of after about 4 hours. A bit uncomfortable, since I had to give my daughter a bath to get the sand off. She was also bothered by the smell.
I had an appointment at the spa for 9am. They called the day before to confirm the appointment, but confirmed for 10 am. After making sure that it was 10, not 9, I assumed I had been mistaken when I originally wrote the appointment down. Nope. I got a call about 9:15 am asking where I was. Unfortunately, they could not reschedule for a time convenient for me, so I did not get the spa treatment I had been so looking forward to.
Overall, this is a great place to stay, especially with kids. I think we just had a few glitches.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the Ocean Towers. They may not have the charm of the Victorian suites, but they are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased that you and your family enjoy routine getaways to The Del and apologize for the unusual service issues you encountered. We appreciate your endorsement and hope you can return again soon for that spa treatment.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!