“Location Location Location - Beach Lovers Delight!!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% Off - Limited Time
Ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Coronado
Totowa, New Jersey
“Location Location Location - Beach Lovers Delight!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Outstanding place to stay if you love the beach. Amazing oceanfront resort with loads of history. Grounds and nice and rooms have plenty of space. Be sure to get an ocean view or ocean front room. Well worth it. Rooms are up to date and very clean. It is a crowded place so be ready for a bustling crowd that comes to gawk. Staying here though once the day trippers leave at night is a real treat. Catching the sunset on the beach is great. Take in the buffet breakfast too. Nice to dine al fresco at Sheerwaters.

Real big turn off is $33 parking for hotel guest. Paying $500 a night for a room and tacking on that much for parking is cheesy.

• Stayed August 2013
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Del, our location on the Best Beach in America, and your dining experiences. The resort can get quite busy, especially during the summer months. We hope you return again soon, perhaps in the Spring or Fall.

2,593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Polish first
Swarthmore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First bad impression - I arrived at the hotel to find a sign at the self parking lot that said "full." I drove to the valet who explained that the lot was full and that I would need to park in, and pay for, valet parking, or park on the street. FIrst impression of this hotel - bad! Nowhere on the hotel website, or elsewhere, does it say that "there might be self parking available," or "good luck finding self parking." This struck me as trickery, to be kind. After driving around the self park lot and having my kids sake out departing vehicles, I find a spot. Time to park - about 30 mins. Not acceptable.

Second bad impression - front desk told me that self park fees had increased to $33, from the $31 advertised on the site when I made the reservation. After discussion, the lower rate was honored, But I should not have had to deal with, or negotiate, this. Credibility declining.

Third bad impression - internet speeds are terrible. One pays a $25 "resort fee" (more on that below) that is said to include internet access. It does, but a reduced tier version. Credibility really declining.

Fourth bad impression - OK I knew this going in, but the hotel charges a $25 "resort fee" that you cannot decline, even if you don't want to use the resort facilities. I think it's pathetic that an establishment would advertise a room rate, and not - up front and clearly (e.g., under the quoted rate) plainly indicate that there is an additional non-waivable fee for services you may not want. In my case, I paid a $50/day resort fee (I had two rooms) for the pleasure of using beach towels and beach chairs for maybe 2 hours per day.

Fifth bad impression - I had a package delivered to the hotel, directed to me. Retrieving it was a monumental undertaking. First, I was advised that I would need to go the hotel mailroom (wow - I've never had the happen before, and I travel a lot for business). I decided to wait. Later, after coming back from sightseeing, I tried calling the front desk to find out how I could get the package and I was disconnected. I called back but hung up after experiencing unacceptable hold times (and becoming angry.

Even though the grounds are beautiful and the staff is friendly and accommodating, I cannot recommend this hotel.

Reserve with your eyes open!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and we are as disappointed in your experience as you are. We apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations and for the service issues you encountered. Our policy for receiving packages would be guest notification then referral to our Bell Desk who will deliver packages directly to the guestroom. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your valuable input.
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice main building. The other buildings were ordinary.
A large hotel suitable for the American family. Not an ideal place for an European couple.
The hotelsite was open for "everybody" so a lot! of people - non-guests - were walking around all the time.
The signatur restaurant "1500 Ocean" was great, both food and service.
In the "grown up" pool there were more birds than people swimming around! Disgusting.

Room Tip: stay in the "old" building. Book a room with sea view, but NOT on ground or 1st floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience at 1500 OCEAN. We apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does attract many day visitors, especially during the summer. We appreciate your input
Tustin, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Hotel del Coronado is situated on Coronado Island. Very nice beaches and fun shops nearby.
The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel was filled with people, making it hard to walk around, no less find seating at the bar and grill restaurant. Too many tourists just milling around. The rooms were nice, bathroom a bit tiny, pricey.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are very nice. Ask for a suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your support and are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to one of the last remaining Victorian seaside resorts. We like to think we have something for everyone—from the charm of the historic Victorian building where no two rooms are alike to the more spacious and contemporary Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury cottages and villas of Beach Village. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This property is truly special and the historic elements of it make the resort in a class by itself. My husband and I stayed for four nights the end of July. Loved our room, it was spacious and updated. We found the staff to be helpful, especailly with directions. We had an ocean view that we enjoyed every morning, just delightful. That said, I would never again be there for a weekend in the summer. On Saturday and Sunday there was at least two weddings going on with many guests. Additionally, the place was full of other non-resort guests which added to the huge number of folks milling around and filling up the bars and restaurants which made it hard just to find a seat and enjoy a drink. Great business for the resort, but just way too crouded for my liking. Would love to visit again at a less busy time of year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Del. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort can get quite busy during the holidays and summer months. We appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff and hope to welcome you back in the Spring or Fall when the crowds are gone and the weather is beautiful.
Wyandotte, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our first trip to the west coast on vacation with the family. From the first time we step foot in the Del we were thrown into the past. With the caged elevator and the operators for the elevator made it even more Historical. To simply say the del is a History jouirney in itself is putting it mildly. Our children loved the spacious beach area and the pool , while a little small, was still not crowded All in all the del while pricey was very worthwhile. To add to the history lesson the ghosts of the Del are difently interesting to ask about to the staff. The only negative was the weekends the place was packed but that really did not affect us becasue we saw the sights around town on the Saturday and Sunday

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the ocean are pricey but way to beautiful to pass up
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you chose to visit The Del for your family’s first visit to California and that you appreciate its historic ambiance. We hope to become a family tradition and look forward to your return.
Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Ok, so by now you've read that the Del is celebrating its 125th year in 2013, so you know two things; 1) they're good at what they do and 2) the hotel has some years on her. Truthfully, though, I think that's what makes it special. Yes, the floors do creak when people walk down the hall and the doors are "old school" and don't have the soft closure mechanisms in the latest modern hotels, but with all of these charms comes a unique experience you just can't get anywhere else. Tip: Savvy travelers carry ear plugs and I recommend them at The Del.

Staff:
Everyone I encountered was top notch and extremely polite. Special thanks to the Valet, Eno Pizzeria & Samantha @ The Sun Deck. The seagulls did a number on my car over the weekend and the valets were quick to help me out with a warm towel and water to do a quick cleanse before we departed on Sunday. Big points, in my book!

Location:
There isn't much to say other than it flat out has the best location on Coronado. You simply cannot beat The Del in terms of proximity to great restaurants, bars and shopping. The beach is awesome and the boardwalk in front provides a great spot to work off the previous night's indulgences.

Overall:
The place is popular, it's going to be busy in the Summer, just be prepared and remember it's one of the prettiest beaches in the Country. My trick - remember what George from Seinfeld used to say; "Serenity now". A couple of cocktails, good food and great live music on The Sun Deck will get your mood where it needs to be. Definitely visit the Eno Pizzeria, it's a great casual spot with top rate wines. If you don't feel like leaving the property for dinner, this will definitely suffice. The Del is not inexpensive, but based on the crowds, that doesn't seem to be turning anyone away. I can't wait to return in the off-season and enjoy a bit less people, but I really enjoyed my two days here! My only gripe, and it's a small one, was that the women's restroom in the shops, near the Bakery, was absolutely jammed all day/every day. They need to do something for the ladies! As it stands, you're better off heading back to your room. It's a good thing I had a cold beverage waiting for my wife when she returned from her 20 minute trip. All in all, it's a wonderful place to visit and we look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: Stay on High floors and avoid the Victorian wings where the views are a bit limited and the rooms ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind review we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and appreciate your recognition of our exceptional staff. The fall is one of the best times to visit when the weather is perfect and the crowds are gone. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!