“Lovely if you have the money.” 4 of 5 stars

Stay 3 Nights, Get $300
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Coronado
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sacramento, California, United States
“Lovely if you have the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and 2 children and I stayed here for spring break, and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the new tower, which is separate from the main hotel. You need to confirm which property you're staying at if this is important to you. Love the service, and how clean everything is. The private beach is spectacular and the shops on premises are really first class. Beware, everything costs...a lot. The food from the restaurants is expensive, and not as good as it could be. For the 4 of us to have breakfast at the buffet it was over $75 with tip. Dinner was double that, and that's with only one glass of wine for my husband and myself each. You'll love the location, but even the bikes and the boats are there "for a fee". For the price you pay for the rooms, they should include SOMETHING for either free or a discounted rate.
Location is worth it, but you'll pay through the nose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are thrilled that your family enjoyed your stay at The Del along with the amenities we offer. We appreciate your recognition of our staff who always strive to provide legendary service. We hope you will come visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Polish first
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have been looking forward to staying at the Del for years. I finally got to go with my 2 best friends for a triple birthday celebration. I booked online and we upgraded to an ocean view, expensive but we were splitting 3 ways. I guess I should have looked closer because we ended up in the part of the Del called The Towers. Its a very short walk to the real Del but it is basically a regular hotel on the beach. Nothing special and definitely not in the historic Del, even though it is considered a part of it. We had a great time but were disappointed just the same.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are honored that you chose The Del to celebrate such a special occasion and apologize that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. We hope you will consider visiting us again soon to experience the charm of the Victorian building. Thank you again for your valuable input.
Gerrardstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and 11 year old daughter stayed here for 5 nights at the very beginning of June. The staff was all very helpful and friendly. Our room in the historic Victorian building was huge with a large walk-in closet that was very handy. It had a partial ocean view, very clean, and was quiet- even over the weekend. The elevator operator, Andrew, was quite a character and a real treat. We found the property very well kept. Everything we needed was handy there at the hotel. However downtown shops and off-site restaurants were just across the street. The pool and hot tub was crystal clear and very refreshing with pool-side service. We had no problems and only a great experience!

Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are thrilled that your family had a pleasurable stay at The Del. We appreciate your recognition of our staff who always strive to provide exceptional service and will be sure to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family and I were so excited to stay at Hotel Del. We had heard great things over the years and viewed it from afar while in town. This was our year to finally stay there. Our kids are 3, 4 1/2 and 7. We take a family vacation every year to California- either San Diego or Disneyland.

We decided to splurge and stay in the Octopus Suite for over $800/night. The suite was amazing. It was around 900 sq ft. Had 2 bedrooms- one for the kids and one for my husband and I. The kids' room was cute. It had a bunk bed with a trundle for all 3 kids to sleep comfortably. It had an Xbox and flat screen in there room along with a radio and a toy box with some toys. Our room was just as nice. We had a dining table in the entry way to seat 4, a large king bed with a comfortable mattress (pillows were terrible), and reading lights. The carpet was plush and the decor was "in fashion" in our room.

The two bathrooms in the suite were very small, but both did have a tub/shower combo. The granite tops were only able to accommodate one sink, each with little room for combs toothbrushes, etc.
The beach was very nice- white sand and large. It was very busy though with people other than the hotel guests. A lot of people riding bicycles almost ran over the little kids a few times over the 4 days. The path between the hotel and beach was very haphazard.

A few more nice things before I get to the negatives- Many of the shops were nice and the staff was helpful and happy to be there. The candy shop and toy shop staff were great. They were engaging and impressed us.

The turn down service was nice for the kids. They got a new shell every night which they were very excited about.

Now to "the biggest let down in a long time". For $800+ a night you would expect a "resort"- as they call themselves, to have lots of high-end amenities, be very receptive to guest requests, be accommodating, helpful, clean, relaxing, elite...you get the point. The hotel del coronado isn't any of these. This is an old hotel that has kept its business because it is a historical landmark. You can stay at a nice resort/hotel and go visit the hotel del if you want to see it. Don't stay here. It is noisy, too-busy, dirty, and anything but elite.

When you walk into the hotel it smells old. It looks old and feels old...well what did I expect? It is old! Don't expect it not to smell. It does...old mildew and old rotting wood. It's not pristine like a typical resort. The second day there, I bought some items to put in our VERY SMALL fridge. When I opened the cabinet, where the fridge was located, a cockroach scurried out. We had cockroaches in our room! Disgusting...not little cockroaches...very big brown cockroaches. Gross! Then we found some in the kids bedroom upon looking for them. When I went to the desk and asked for the supervisor, he was too busy to come out. They pawned us off on another desk person who said "That can't be. We just remodeled it". What? What does that have to do with cockroaches? She made us feel like we were lying! She said well I can credit your room $150, but we don't have anywhere to move you. We were heading out for the day and asked for our room to be cleaned and sprayed for the bugs. It ruined our trip. We were constantly feeling like we were in a dirty room and waiting to run across another bug.

Other bad things- Our room was on the main level and near the banquet facilities and the loading dock. Not a great place for an $800+ a night suite. It was so noisy. The kids were constantly being woken up with the slamming and banging of chairs and tables being put away from the parties on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. We dealt with it on Thursday night b/c it was only 11PM. Friday and Saturday were awful. We could hear full conversations. The music was loud and the clean up at 1:30AM was ridiculous. I called and complained again...what did they do? They credited our room $100- $50 for each night. Not worth it.

We had the buffet breakfast at Sheerwater. Most resort breakfasts are amazing. They have tons to choose from and items that you would only see at resorts...like speciality "shooters" for health, sushi, etc. None of these items were there. It was a typical buffet with pancakes, omelets, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt...you get the point.

The restaurants on site were ridiculously priced for a "family-friendly" resort. $12 for a small box of Kellog's frosted flakes??? $6 for a cup of milk??? $60 for 1 chicken sandwich and 3 kids hamburgers---no drinks included. $9 for a cup of ice cream? Plus, the manager is the ice cream shop was the rudest individual I've come across in a long time. She made us feel unwelcome. She almost made one of my kids cry she was so short when he asked to try a flavor. We felt robbed. We wouldn't have minded paying for these things if the food was quality and worth it, but it wasn't.

There was supposed to be Wifi in our suite, but you could only get it by sitting by the door. It was also very slow. The kids weren't able to watch movies on Netflix and to rent an in-room movie was almost $10! When we complained they said, call this off site number. After being on the phone with them for 30 min., I gave up. I called the front desk and she said that she would credit our room $50. This seems to be their solution for everything. They overcharge for everything including the rooms so they are able to give you a little back for each complaint. Ridiculous!

I will never stay at this hotel again. I will not let anyone that I know stay at this hotel again. The whole trip was a let down. Thank goodness for Legoland and the SD Zoo. Those were our only two great days there. Last thing- the hotel sent me a survey with which I did fill out. I expressed my complaints. I received an email back stating, "we apologize that your expectations weren't met". We are a quality hotel that many enjoying staying at every year." Nice! MY expectations were soooo great!? I think ANYONE would have the same expectations for a "RESORT" that charges what the Hotel Del charges. We could have stayed at the Ritz for what we spent at this poor hotel.

Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable service issues you encountered during your stay. We strive to provide legendary service and it appears that we have fallen short. We will be sure to share your review with our management team so we may make the necessary improvements. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable input with us.
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Definitely shows signs of its age - but that adds to it's character. The carpeting in the elevator & hallways looks like it might be original!! (but it's kept clean!) Room was huge & clean (only complaint was leftover Coke sprayed in our fridge & we had to call 3 times before someone came to clean it out) Just a lot of fun to walk around! The kids club was great (unlimited free pinball!) Pool is pretty basic, but nice & the poolside food options are good. The grounds were immaculate! Very pricey, but great for special occasions!

Side note: my wife loved the spa & the fact that they only recommend a 16% tip (whereas the Ritz generally adds 20%)

Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and were able to take advantage of our pool and Kidtopia. We think The Del has a unique historic charm and are glad that you appreciate that, as well. We hope you will come visit us again.
Thousand Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel could be listed under "attractions" as well as under "hotels" Even if you don't stay here it is worth a visit just to see one of the most unique hotel in all the world. Its design and architecture, its historical background and its present-day beauty. I was the manager of the hotel's beach and tennis club 50 years ago and staged a celebrity tennis tournament there, as well as help to host many movie and television stars, including Rhonda Fleming, Charlton Heston Robert Wagner, etc. Jerry Lewis even came over to MC the Celebrity Tennis Tournament's Award Dinner. So, I feel a small part of the hotel's history. Stay there if you can; every room is different and the restaurants, beach, pool and surroundings will give you something to remember.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We think The Del is quite unique, too, with its 125 year history and characteristic design and architecture. And, thank you for being a part of the hotel’s special history.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel grounds were well kept and lovely. The restaurants were okay but very understaffed. We waited for a second round of drinks for 10 minutes, then got served our salads with no silverware and still no second round of drinks. I had to hunt down the wait staff to get served. We experienced the same issue in two other stores on the property. It was frustrating to pay what we were paying per night to deal with understaffed restaurants and stores. We decided to eat elsewhere for the remainder of our stay. The food prices were outrageous ($120 for two rounds of drink and appetizers). The fitness center was the highlight. The equipment was commercial grade, plus they offered spin classes and other group fitness classes. It is a resort-like atmosphere, so it’s noisy and busy plus non-guests visit, so it creates more crowds and noise. I would not stay here again as my husband and I prefer more quaint and cozy.

Room Tip: We selected a partial ocean view and it was just as good as the full ocean view.